sony STRDB940 receiver any good???

Vatican3

is the sony STRDB940 receiver any good. It sells for around 650 canadian (440 US).

probably be hooking it up with paradigm cineman series.

SPecs:

110 Watts 5, @8 Ohms, 20--20,000Hz, 0.09%THD

110 Watts 2, @8 Ohms, 20--20,000Hz, 0.09%THD

Dolby DigitalTM, dts® and Dolby® Pro Logic® Decoding

24 bit + 32 bit DSP Processing

Digital Cinema SoundTM Virtual 3D Processing

Digital Cinema SoundTM Studio EX Modes

5.1 Channel Inputs

Second Room Audio Output with Independent Source Selection for Second Room

Preamplifier Outputs

96kHz/24 bit PCM Processing

4 S-Video Inputs, 2 S-Video Outputs

3 Optical Inputs, 1 Optical Output

1 Coaxial Input

Analog Direct Bypasses DSP Clock for Purer Audio Signal

On Screen GUI Display

Aluminum front panel

Slanted PCB Circuit Board Design

Large Type Power Supply

2-Way LCD Remote Control with Learning and Macro Capability

Enables Download of CD Titles from Mega CD Changer

Download Tuner Information

Sony recievers are REALLY bright in my experience.(For music) For $650CDN, you could get a good yamaha, or onkyo. Pioneer would even be better. And much easier to use. My first time with a sony was horrible. All their stupid enhancements wouldnt turn off. All I wanted to do was hear the system the way it is supposed to, but not without their studio hall garbag.

They are good in my opinion for HT, but Music is BAD.

(The features are good however)

------------------

Matthew

I would also check out Denon receivers in that price range.

------------------

Will be getting the following in December.

Home Theater:

TV: Sony KV-ES38M91 (38" FD Trinitron WEGA)

Receiver: Denon AVC-A11SR (230V version of Denon AVR-4802)

DVD player: Toshiba SD-900E

VCR: Sony SLV-ED100 (HiFi VCR)

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7

Subwoofer: SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier

Wow, those were pretty negative responses. Well i'm pretty much a newbie in this home theatre business and i thought it was a good deal but i guess i'll be searching some more. Justin already recommended the DEnon 1802 and Onkyo DS595, still looking for a dealer that can give me a good deal with those receivers.

Yep, go with a denon or onkyo.

I had the sony you mention prior to the onkyo I have now. The problem with the sony is the volume control.

It is way to sensitive. The lowest posible volume was to loud for any background music. Even the balance lef/right was not good at these low levels. First the right speaker comes up... .

Indeed "their studio hall garbag"(matthew2) was bugging me to. So many useless dsp modes.

Finally the remote. Since it is two way (communicates with the receiver) it takes a while to do what you wish. I like direct(instant) button access.

The volume control is even wors with the remote. I think (in compare to my onkyo) it turned the volume in steps of 6dB (just a tiny touch on the button).

Ok, my RF-3 tFTP's have a lot to do with it, but the onkyo does this very smooth.

------------------

-------------------------

Receiver: Onkyo 676

DVD: Pioneer DV-525

Screen: Thomson 46" RetroProjection

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RF-3's

Center: RC-3

I have the Sony STRDE-825, when i power it up, i can really hear the hum, when i turn the speakers on!

I AM waiting for it to burn up, then ill go back to 2 channel, untill i can get a dennon, or Onkyo, ive been looking for the Onkyo 575 digital, if anyone has one for sale!

I do not like the reviews on Sony at all!

Mine has the worst!

Im actually surprised it works!

Definately go with Onkyo, or dennon, not Sony!

Regards Jim

PS

Also having to adjust the built in EQ, for every function, is a pain in the ***!!

Ok, well, someboy has to SORT OF stick up for the Sony. I have the DB940, but I only use it for movies & DVD's. I guess I am one of the few lucky ones, as I have no noise, hiss or hum. I only use 2 modes, one for the DTS/surround stuff and the plain jane one with nothing added, no effects. Any yes, the remote sucks, but I have an aftermarket all in one remote anyway.

I don't think I would recommend them, based on so many other problems, but it is sort of like my first computer many years ago.

It was a Packard Bell, and I never had a problem, but almost everyone groaned and told horror stories about their experience with PB.

Anyway, this is the best place on the net to get honest, intelligent information and feedback.

Mike

(I just posted pictures of my "new" K-horns in the Odds & Mods section)

quote:

Originally posted by Vatican3:

and when you connect the A/V receiver to your computer, do you lose EAX capability for games?

If the receiver is connected digitally, EAX will only work in stereo. If you use analog, EAX will work in 4 channel and 5 channel, depending on which soundcard you have.

Oogins, i have the soundblaster Audigy Platinum

I'm planning to get the paradigm cinema series but i might change my mind if i find something better. I haven't decided on the receiver yet but the Denon 1802, Onkyo DS595, and Marantz 4200 are strong contenders.

So how exaclty should i hook up the receiver to the soundcard to get 5.1 eax capability???

thanks!

Welcome Newbie!!!

I want to add to the "Sony bashing"!!!!

I spent the extra money for the 777ES and thought it was okay for about 2 months. I then began to hear about the different 6.1 and 7.1 formats and realized how screwed I was with the P.O.S. Sony 777. Well to my rescue I was turned-on to a different board that the 777ES was featured on for an downloadable upgrade...

The first thing I noticed is that on the heading of headunits my 777ES was listed as a "NON-FLAGSHIP"!! I was so stupid to let someone sell me a obsolete Sony.

I then noticed everything I was having problems with on the 777ES was known problems!!HISS & NOISE=SONY ES.

Then to add insult to injury the SONY had a internal fire that I found out later was a recalled item with MANY SONY ES PIECES!!!!!!!!! THIS COULD HAVE BURNED MY HOUSE DOWN WITH MY W2B IN IT!!!

I now have an lawyer RETAINED to recover damages I have incurred due to this incident. I am not at liberty to discuss settlement as part of an agreement with SONY OF AMERICA until we have resolved the suit..

BOTTOM LINE IS NEVER BUY SONY FOR AUDIO/VIDEO USE...

You have been warned.

Peace,

Steve

www.noav.com

quote:

Originally posted by Vatican3:

So how exaclty should i hook up the receiver to the soundcard to get 5.1 eax capability???

The picture shows an example of 5.1 inputs. For 5.1 EAX you will need to connect your soundcard to these.

Line Out connects to Main

Rear Out connects to Surround

Center(left)/Sub(right) out connects to the Center and Sub input

The Denon 1802 and Onkyo DS595 have these inputs, but unfortunately the Marantz 4200 doesn't. However the Marantz 5200 does. In fact the 5200 has 6.1 inputs. However that might be a little much if you're using the Audigy but could be helpful when you upgrade to a 6.1 soundcard. Smile.gif

Vatican3,

Stop abusing your monitor or I will tell the Pope.

cwm5.gif

Sony makes very good recievers,make that great pyrotechnic devices! DEAM knows a thing or two about it,n'est pas DEAM. LOL

I was going to change my Krell for a Sony after TV told me ALL AMPS SOUND THE SAME. MUA HA HA HA

SURE THEY DO,AS I AM MICKEY MOUSE

TheEAR(s) Now theears