Why do I do this to myself? (Forte II vs. RF-7)

wuzzzer

Have you spent any time with any Heritage speakers before? Your friends description is right on. To me the Reference is almost too crisp, too sterile if you will. The Heritage sounds more like LIVE music.

Not that I remember. Audio King in town used to carry them years ago and I'm sure that I listened to them when I was there. That was when I was in my mid to late teens though and at that time I was more focused with car audio, as was my best friend who got me into audio in the first place. I'm glad he did!!

Currently listening to the first Animusic DVD right now. Oh my...it sounds incredibly rich.

Don't get me wrong guys, I really like the RF-7s too. In fact I just realized that my amp's remote allows me to switch between the A/B speaker outputs so I can do an on the fly switch at my seating position. Like I said before, there's a definite difference in sensitivity. I'm afraid that I just don't have the time nor the $$ to make the RF-7s sound as good as they can. The Fortes sound wonderful. [8]

{edit} I think you made a decent deal, Mike. Of course the $275 I paid for my Forte IIs was pretty decent too. [Y]

In fact I just realized that my amp's remote allows me to switch

between the A/B speaker outputs so I can do an on the fly switch at my

seating position.

ooo, that's a nice feature. I wonder if mine has that buried deep inside a menu somewhere.

I always like to take sensitivity out of any comparisons, because the louder speaker will most generally sound 'better' to our ears. That's why salesmen at hifi shops keep turning it UP SO LOUD.

M

Interesting comparison between 2 actually rather different speakers.

IMHO the strengths of the RF7 are in the imaging, soundstaging and focus whilst the strength of the Forte is in its midrange (arguably the best of all the heritage speakers - this was the Klipsch built for Rock music after all).

The choice comes down to what you listen to (and your personal taste of course). For me - classical demands the RF7 and Rock the Forte. I could see Jazz lovers going either way.

YMMV and all that.....

• Like 1

On some drums it had just a certain 'smack' that the RF-7s don't have.

You have good ears!!! That mid range crispness is where all Heritage speakers have an edge against the RF series that I have heard. I have yet to hear the latest greatest RF series from klipsch yet though.

You sure scored on the price!!

Craig

IMHO the strengths of the RF7 are in the imaging, soundstaging and focus whilst the strength of the Forte is in its midrange (arguably the best of all the heritage speakers - this was the Klipsch built for Rock music after all).

The choice comes down to what you listen to (and your personal taste of course). For me - classical demands the RF7 and Rock the Forte. I could see Jazz lovers going either way.

YMMV and all that.....

Funny you say that, because the gentleman I bought the Fortes from only listened to classical music on them with tube amps. Although, he bought them new which was in 1992 according to the serial #. Obviously the RF series wasn't available back then. The fact that he used to have Klipschorns makes me feel good about the Fortes. He obviously has heard Klipsch's best and he loved the Fortes too.

YMMV and all that.....

Jazz lovers should go CW or stay home!

• Like 1

Ditch the 7's! Ditch the 7's!! LOL

Seriously though, I have not heard the 7's but have heard the smaller ones right below it along with most of the other fairly recent Klipsch lines. Honestly, I have never been to fond of any of them.

Again, I have never heard the Forte' II's

Great advise from someone that's never heard either of the speakers in question.I say LOL's to that.

Laugh all you want, chum... And I see you convienently leave out the part where I say that "I have heard the Forte's and Chorus" (I's and II's no less), not to mention several of the KG line.

Like I said, I have heard everything around those lines other than the two in question. So what?! That's enough for me to give some advise. You're just trying to defend the RF line because you own the entire RF line. No problems with that, it's just MY OPINION.

Besides, it's not like I or anyone else needs to do a lot of convincing since it sounds like wuzzzer almost has his mind made up anyway.

YMMV and all that.....

Jazz lovers should go CW or stay home!

Now now Michael. Jazz sounds fantastic on Forte II's. Especially when acoustic bass hits those low notes, vibrating string and all.......

Like I said before, there's a definite difference in sensitivity. I'm afraid that I just don't have the time nor the $$ to make the RF-7s sound as good as they can. The Fortes sound wonderful. Music [8]

Your statement above says it all. In spite of the RF-7's high sensitivity rating, they are a difficult load to drive and require quality amplification (and Dean's mod) to sound their best. While they have always sounded "good", the more power you feed them, the better they sound IMO, and of course more power = more $$$. Enjoy your Forte's!

IMHO the strengths of the RF7 are in the imaging, soundstaging and

focus whilst the strength of the Forte is in its midrange (arguably the

best of all the heritage speakers - this was the Klipsch built for Rock

music after all).

I think this pretty much sums up the difference between 1 way / 2 way vs 3 way speaker designs.

Less drivers = better imaging and soundstage

More drivers = much more live "you are there during the performance" sound.

The above is especially true with Klipsch speakers. While I do

love my KG 5.5s they don't hold a candle to my Chorus 2, Forte 2 or

Forte for the live sound.

Ditch the 7's! Ditch the 7's!! LOL

Seriously though, I have not heard the 7's but have heard the smaller ones right below it along with most of the other fairly recent Klipsch lines. Honestly, I have never been to fond of any of them.

Again, I have never heard the Forte' II's

Great advise from someone that's never heard either of the speakers in question.I say LOL's to that.

Laugh all you want, chum... And I see you convienently leave out the part where I say that "I have heard the Forte's and Chorus" (I's and II's no less), not to mention several of the KG line.

Like I said, I have heard everything around those lines other than the two in question. So what?! That's enough for me to give some advise. You're just trying to defend the RF line because you own the entire RF line. No problems with that, it's just MY OPINION.

Besides, it's not like I or anyone else needs to do a lot of convincing since it sounds like wuzzzer almost has his mind made up anyway.

1st,I did think that was funny.2nd,your original post is there for all to read so I didn't leave anything out,only responding to what I thought was funny.3rd,the only reason I have the entire 7 set up is cause I want em'.I can have any Klipsch(and owned many)or most any speakers I choose,I just like the 7's.4th,I suggested that wuzzzer keep the Forte as they sound great(really good mids),are maybe easier to place in hard room and easier to match a wider variety of gear,and he likes em'.Opinions are all we have,I try to give ops based on loooong auditions w/lotsa different gear,not a rule,just the way I do it.5th,I didn't really want to offend you,only make the point it's best to have owned,give every chance to,and then form opinions of a particular piece of gear,then share.But...you have the right to do as you please,no hard feelings I hope.