Where's Parrot been hiding?

Mike Lindsey

Dean brought up Mark's amps, and the VRDs (which actually are siblings of the Pcats in some respects),

Wrong again the two designs are very different in just about every way possible. The sibling comment is not even close. The end results may be similar in many respects but the Pcat and VRD have just about zero in common with each other from a design stand point. Mark and I are very good freinds but we are also very different people. Are design methologies are very different also. We do both believe quality and customer satisfaction come first though.

Craig

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flank Steak that even The Parrott would enjoy!

INGREDIENTS<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

1/4 cup honey

1/4 cup soy sauce

1/2 cup red wine

1 clove garlic, crushed

1 pinch dried rosemary, crushed

1 pinch freshly ground black pepper

1 pound flank steak

DIRECTIONS

In a bowl, mix together honey, soy sauce, and red wine. Stir in garlic, rosemary and pepper. Let stand for 15 minutes to blend the flavors.

Place the marinade and the steak into a large resealable plastic bag. Press out the air, seal, and lay flat in the refrigerator. Refrigerate for at least 24 hours, turning a few times.

Preheat grill for high heat.

Brush grill grate with oil and grill the flank steak for about 6 to 7 minutes per side. Let stand for a few minutes and slice very thinly against the grain.

Dang, all this fighting is getting me hungry. The recipe calls for rosemary, which I usually only rub into a good Lamb roast, but I'll be bold, and go were few men have gone before, and try a little on some beef... I don't have 24hrs to let it sit, but I'm gonna vacumm pack it, which reduces marinating time.

Now I'm gonna take out some fajitas for grilling this evening. Boomac, I hope this doesn't piss-off my picky eating kids, ... well, just in case, I'd better put a few pieces off to the side with only some Lawry's Seasoning, just in case your recipe doesn't meet with the kids approval.

As for your prefering flank steak to Filete Migon, I think you need to find yourself a new meat market. God, I hope your not soaking Filete in that concoction. Personally, my favorite steak is a Bone-In Ribeye, or the cheaper bone-in ribsteak, which is just as tasty, but not as tender. Sadly though, any cut of bone-in steak is pretty hard to find over here in Oky-homie land, unless of course, it's chicken.

Dean,...What the hell's all the ranting and raving about. This place is still pretty good,..... even with all the kiddy know-it-all wanna be's.

Craig,.... are we on for a 2007 toothy bassturd fishing trip. I'm getting my gold plated lures ready...[:D]. Seriously, I wanna go fishing for something with big pointy teeth, with someone who knows how to catch'em.

EDIT:

There we go, out-smarted the forum software's spell checker.... Now, give it another read.. I'm off to the grocery store now for some dried rosemary.

Oh yea, if you ask Craig nicely, he might show the picture of the one I'm after.

I'm dying to know what you're fishing for that the forum censored & has teeth...

Reminds me of a "your momma" thing... Yo mamma's *** has teeth and spits oatmeal...

Yeah, it's caused people to leave the room before (as intended).

Well, I'm a poor slob that wanted to try SET in the worst way but couldn't afford the good stuff (still can't). So I ended up settling on an eBay special from Hong Kong (BEZ handbuilt components from Lam Ying Wing, a.k.a. Edmund Lam for those who don't know). IMO it's precisely gear like this that Paul and a few other forum members seem to have issues with; not necessarily because it's SET, but due mostly to it's mediocre build quality/construction, less than exotic parts used, and it's place of origin (partly because it's from China, or maybe because it was designed/built on Lam's workdesk at his home(or on his "diningroom table"...just kidding, but it could be, I dunno)!

I know it's not in the same league as SETs from deHavilland, Moth Audio, WAVAC, Cary, Jadis, VAC, Cyrus Brenneman, Yamamoto, Jean-Francois Lessard, George Wright, etc., nor do I hold any ill will towards anyone who has a lesser opinion of the BEZ brand (BTW I do have thick skin...it has to be to endure the ridicule and to hold back the fat)! For what it is, my 300B SET stereo amp surprisingly does the job of providing near-realistic musical reproduction with my Triangle towers (and hopefully with a pair of RB-75s I'll be paying off real soon), and I do not feel like I have to justify myself for owning an affordable Chinese SET amp by trying to convince myself that it does sound great, for it does sound surprisingly good (not the greatest, far from the best, but very good). That's not just my opinion but also the opinion of others who've left positive feedback on his eBay auctions, and the few who've bought and reviewed his inexpensive components on AA, AK, and other audio forums. Edmund has sold several models under other manufacturer's names such as Sophia Electric and Tube Audio Design (TAD), so his designs and parts used must not be all that bad!

So Paul (whom I also miss) will just have to live with the knowledge that not everyone wants PP tube amps or can afford the megabuck SET variety...different strokes for different folks, I reckon. Regardless to how each one of us feels about different topologies, we should at least show a little more respect towards eachother's decisions on the choices we make for our gear in our music rooms, for in the end it's all about the music and what sounds most life-like to our less than perfect ears!

FWIW...and all that jazz![;)]

post-11084-1381931451697_thumb.jpg

Gilbert We have a great meat counter at our local Piggley Wiggley. The Angus tenderloin is fantastic and I have two recipes that will knock your sox off. I got one from the butcher and the other from Chuckears of this Forum. I like most all cuts but a local joint has a bone in tenderloin that is UFB. I enjoy the rib-eye too. This past week the shop had some of that <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Kobe beef from Japan. Rib-eyes @ $25.95 per pound. I took a pass because it was just my wife and I and she only eats a wee bit. Plus, the cuts were a pound a piece and I can't see spending 25 bucks a pound for rib-eyes!!! We have that Flank steak about 3 times per year and if you shave it thin you will be shocked how tasty and tender it is. Mixing it with fajita stuff.I dont know? My kids have always loved it and weve had one left-over portion in 10 years. If you want the tenderloin recipes just let me know. Old Chuckears is a chef I think. His special was pretty dandy.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

BTW, Ive had ostrich but never Parrott. (Keeping with the thread)

Thats it Craig! Please can I fish with you next year? Dandy pictures too. Is that a walleye that Northern has in his jaws?

Well, I'm a poor slob that wanted to try SET in the worst way but couldn't afford the good stuff (still can't). So I ended up settling on an eBay special from Hong Kong (BEZ handbuilt components from Lam Ying Wing, a.k.a. Edmund Lam for those who don't know). IMO it's precisely gear like this that Paul and a few other forum members seem to have issues with; not necessarily because it's SET, but due mostly to it's mediocre build quality/construction, less than exotic parts used, and it's place of origin (partly because it's from China, or maybe because it was designed/built on Lam's workdesk at his home(or on his "diningroom table"...just kidding, but it could be, I dunno)!

I know it's not in the same league as SETs from deHavilland, Moth Audio, WAVAC, Cary, Jadis, VAC, Cyrus Brenneman, Yamamoto, Jean-Francois Lessard, George Wright, etc., nor do I hold any ill will towards anyone who has a lesser opinion of the BEZ brand (BTW I do have thick skin...it has to be to endure the ridicule and to hold back the fat)! For what it is, my 300B SET stereo amp surprisingly does the job of providing near-realistic musical reproduction with my Triangle towers (and hopefully with a pair of RB-75s I'll be paying off real soon), and I do not feel like I have to justify myself for owning an affordable Chinese SET amp by trying to convince myself that it does sound great, for it does sound surprisingly good (not the greatest, far from the best, but very good). That's not just my opinion but also the opinion of others who've left positive feedback on his eBay auctions, and the few who've bought and reviewed his inexpensive components on AA, AK, and other audio forums. Edmund has sold several models under other manufacturer's names such as Sophia Electric and Tube Audio Design (TAD), so his designs and parts used must not be all that bad!

So Paul (whom I also miss) will just have to live with the knowledge that not everyone wants PP tube amps or can afford the megabuck SET variety...different strokes for different folks, I reckon. Regardless to how each one of us feels about different topologies, we should at least show a little more respect towards eachother's decisions on the choices we make for our gear in our music rooms, for in the end it's all about the music and what sounds most life-like to our less than perfect ears!

FWIW...and all that jazz![;)]

They look great I'd like to pick up one of those preamps also I noticed that there was a Bez KT88 amp available.

The relentless SET bashing does get old but it does get the forum active for 20-60 pages. I'd like to do some blind amplifier demos with some SET, PP, Tripath and SS just for the hell of it and everyone gets to rate and guess at which is which with results revealed at the end of the demos. I think some would be suprised.

I will be trying some different tube topologies in the next couple weeks...

"Wrong again the two designs are very different in just about every way possible. The sibling comment is not even close. The end results may be similar in many respects but the Pcat and VRD have just about zero in common with each other from a design stand point. "

Wrong again about what?

I think the problem is that you don't understand the analogy, not that the analogy is wrong. Once again, I'll exlpain what I mean: As I think that Rozenblit's high powered OTL will probably be a pretty good amp based on my previous first-hand experience with his other work, so do I think Mark's Pcat's AND the VRDs are probably very good Products. I say that in light of my earlier experience with the JM Peach. You seem to think the word 'sibling' means 'alike, or same-as.' Sibling refers to 'brother or sister,' and brothers and sisters are by no means necessarily the same in terms of personality or character.

Are you following me so far?

However, what siblings DO have in common (unless adopted or through divorce and remarriage) are the same biological mother and father. I've read on your own website in that past that Mark had an important contribution to the input/driver stage of the VRDs, and so I am comfortable saying, based on my previous experience with the other example of his work I mentioned, the Peach preamp, that I think BOTH the pcats and VRDs are probably also very good products. I happen to think that the front end is a significant part of a design, particularly in the case where the powersupply and output stage are otherwise relatively conventional. Parafeed outputs or OTLs are two examples where the output stage is not so common or usual.

Clear?

Erik

"As for your prefering flank steak to Filete Migon, I think you need to find yourself a new meat market. God, I hope your not soaking Filete in that concoction."

Or

"Man, are you still so uninformed that you think low power, single-ended amplifiers are any good!? Lord, I hope you're not actually sitting down and enjoying what comes out of those things, even if your speakers ARE capable of 104dBs with a single watt. I've also heard you think 3 channel stereo or surround sound can sound better than two-channel-only.

Finding a new meat market won't change the beast, and yes, I do think three channels sounds much better than two channel alone. But, I'm still enjoying stereo only sound from a good tube preamp, a pair of good sounding 2A3 monoblocks, and our Heresies. I also like filet mignon once in awhile.

Hah![:P]

Erik

Daaayyyaaaammm...Erik's on the warpath today![:|]

We're all free to choose what topology works best for us with our music in our rooms (big or small) with our favorite loudspeakers. No one should throw their weight around and tell others what they should or shouldn't use for amplification if no one asks for their opinion in the first place. You don't have to like my SET amp, but unless I ask Paul or others what I should get as an upgrade or as a replacement, then I'm all ears to welcome their opinions and gather as much knowledge and experience from them as possible! That's what we're all here for...to help one another and answer questions and offer opinions...not to ridicule and make fun of the choices one has made for their form of amplification, especially if one has not asked for their help or guidance in the first place.

In other words...mind your own business![6]

I wouldn't dare tell Mark or Craig I think they're foolish for designing and building PP tube amps (because they're not, obviously), or to tell others that they're crazy for owning flea-powered SET amps (because they're not for liking what 2A3 or 45 output triodes do for their music). I wouldn't tell Paul he made a bad choice for amplification for his system in his huge room bacause he hasn't, just as much as I didn't make a bad choice in choosing an 8 watt amp to power my system in my tiny room! It all evens out in the end (it's about the music, man), and it's cool to see and hear different topologies in different room types with different loudspeakers...if everything was the same, it would all be pretty boring I think!

"Wrong again the two designs are very

different in just about every way possible. The sibling comment is

not even close. The end results may be similar in many respects but the

Pcat and VRD have just about zero in common with each other from a

design stand point. "

Wrong again about what?

I think the problem is that you don't understand the analogy, not

that the analogy is wrong. Once again, I'll exlpain what I

mean: As I think that Rozenblit's high powered OTL will probably

be a pretty good amp based on my previous first-hand experience with

his other work, so do I think Mark's Pcat's AND the VRDs are probably

very good Products. I say that in light of my earlier experience

with the JM Peach. You seem to think the word 'sibling' means

'alike, or same-as.' Sibling refers to 'brother or sister,' and

brothers and sisters are by no means necessarily the same in terms of

personality or character.

Are you following me so far?

However, what siblings DO have in common (unless adopted or

through divorce and remarriage) are the same biological mother and

father. I've read on your own website in that past that Mark had

an important contribution to the input/driver stage of the VRDs, and so

I am comfortable saying, based on my previous experience with the other

example of his work I mentioned, the Peach preamp, that I think BOTH

the pcats and VRDs are probably also very good products. I happen

to think that the front end is a significant part of a design,

particularly in the case where the powersupply and output stage are

otherwise relatively conventional. Parafeed outputs or OTLs are

two examples where the output stage is not so common or usual.

Clear?

Erik

Erik;

Your posts are rarely clear. You used the word 'sibling' in the first

place; and it did not fit the context of what you are still unclear

about.

You are one of those people who struggles admitting when they are wrong. I find your comments funny though. Post away!

Audio Flynn:

"Your posts are rarely clear. You used the word 'sibling' in the first place; and it did not fit the context of what you are still unclear about."

To some, perhaps, others haven't had trouble with them. Absolutely I was the first, and I used it to say the Pcats and VRDs are 'siblings' in a certain respect. The meaning did not change.

For the third time: Mark Deenen designed both the Pcats, as well as a very important aspect, IMI, of the VRDs. Thus, the two amplifiers have the same papa (designer) in common. I am speaking of the input stage of the VRDs.

Pcat: Mark Deenen

VRD Front end/inputdriver: Mark Deenen

Siblings.

Get it?

Erik