Where's Parrot been hiding?

Mike Lindsey

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the link, Dean... what a great thread that was! A lot of names from the past that are no longer here. That's one heck of a room/setup that Paul has, and I would sure like to check it out one day.

Seems everyone has slowed down a bit on the post front, but winter's coming, and all you snowbirds will be on here once the white stuff hits the ground... hopefully Paul will be too.

Mike

. In short, it's boring

A continual rehash of the same subject matter coupled with strong shift against any idea that suggests spending a little more money nets a subjectively more pleasing sound to the ear.

I dunno Dean ...

the Jubilee threads are interesting

it doesn't hurt that Roy participates in the forum [6]but, Yes, for the most part ..

Boring as Hell ..

'coures , it's alway's entertaining when SET and Parrot ..get together ...

I agree Duke...the jube threads and Roy's posts have kept things

interesting. It would be nice to keep "Berry boy"

around...someone send him some more ribs and ice cream.[:D]

The acoustic theads in the architecture section are really good as well. Thanks to "mas" for sharing his knowledge there.

I kind of had this section of the forum in mind when I said what I said. The 2-channel section used to be where you went when you wanted to play hardball and wanted serious opinions about what might work best for your room, system and music. This used to be the place for audiophiles. "2-channel" use to be synonomous with "high end sound" -- which I guess doesn't really exist.

Check out the topics covering the first page. Anyone around remember what it used to look like? Hell, I now go to the HT and General forums before I come up here, and more and more time is being spent on forums reading posts by people who understand what it's like to have an emotional connection with their system instead of some damn meter.

The name calling was idiotic -- most of us were glad when you came in and cleaned this place up. I can tell you though, the meat and potatos happens in emails and phone calls now. People who know that gear that measures close to the same on the bench doesn't sound the same -- and that caps, tubes, and wire effect the sonic signature simply don't want to post anymore.

Dat der grit in da sound dats makin yer nash yer teeth can be fixed wit jist 10 hunerd dollers of coustic tile.:)

The name calling was idiotic -- most of us were glad when you came in and cleaned this place up. I can tell you though, the meat and potatos happens in emails and phone calls now. People who know that gear that measures close to the same on the bench doesn't sound the same -- and that caps, tubes, and wire effect the sonic signature simply don't want to post anymore.

Dat der grit in da sound dats makin yer nash yer teeth can be fixed wit jist 10 hunerd dollers of coustic tile.:)

Go Dean go!! It's winter now and about time to straighten this place out once again LOL!!

The sheriff is back in town.

Go Dean go!! It's winter now and about time to straighten this place out once again LOL!!

The sheriff is back in town.

I agree with the other statement Dean made about 2 channel being where the best in performance was debated.

100 usd DVD players and digital amps on the cheap? BORING

Still no one can explain to me how a small watt SET amp can have any realism on music with broad dynamic range (maybe on KHorns). Maybe if realism is the last row of the balcony. I prefer to sit on the lip of the orchestra pit.

Try Harry Potter Prisoner of Askerban for dynamic range on a CD.

Dean:

"A continual rehash of the same subject matter coupled with strong shift against any idea that suggests spending a little more money nets a subjectively more pleasing sound to the ear."

I agree. Money may..........or in fact may not have a correlation with what a person ends up liking. I've used very expensive caps, for example, that I liked in one situation but not in another. In the Moondogs I've modified, I've used Hovlands, Kimber, Jensen oil, very cheap mylar, Solens.....and the latest which I like better than all of them, common Orange Drop. I have corresponded with MANY guys who not only build their own crossover networks, but amplifiers and preamps -- or source equipment in some instances. Over the years, I can't tell you how often I have heard something along the lines of, "You know, I tried those expesive resistors and capacitors in this new design I came up with, only to find that I liked the cheaper caps and carbon comp. resistors from Radio Shack better." And this is as it should be. Considering the number of obligations we all have, I would hope that a personal choice (REGARDLESS OF COST) be something that would be respected rather than ridiculed by others.

Cost may have absolutely zero to do with what a person ultimately likes, and perhaps it may. As I mentioned years ago in these same archaic debates, filet mignon is a very expensive cut of meat, and often prized for it's natural tenderness and low fat. I find it pretty tasteless and bland compared to much easier on the wallet, flank.

People on this forum have also been told they were deaf because they either disagreed- with or simply were left unimpressed or unmoved by whatever component or component part that, by virtue of its higher cost, was supposed to yeild equally 'better' performance.

I have found both high and low power amplifiers to sound equally good, but that doesn't mean they necessarily sounded the same. When someone is criticized because of his/her personal choice in -- anything -- that, IMO, is where the error lies, not in the nature of what the choice in question may have been, flank steak or filet mignon, or a single 2A3 over push-pull 6L6s.

Erik