Heresys

mdbrien

Can't say because I have never heard the II, but there is supposed to be a difference based on the diaphram of the mid horn driver - all the big Heritage and original Heresy use a 2 inch element, but the II's use a 1.5 inch element. The actual difference may only be important when trying to match the voicing of multiple speaker systems as in adding a middle channel or back channels, etc. May make no real difference for two channel - the II's are reported to sound quite fine.

The drivers are different. The Heresy uses the K55 and K77 mid and tweeter. The H2's use alternatives. The sound is pretty similar to my ears.

The Heresy II's drivers are installed through the front of the cabinet and the originals are installed on the back of the motorboard. The back of the Heresy II's are sealed and the backs of the Heresy come off for access to the drivers and crossover.

Some folks have strong preferences for the original.

Prices on Ebay have been quite good lately.

Can only speak about H2's................They are a very under-rated speaker, given their size, they can crank with the best of them, if you close your eyes and listen. they sound BIG................I feel you need to run a Sub-woofer if you really like Bottom End, without a sub, they lack any punch....you can over do the Sub very easily...but remember that is just my take on it.............Sometimes a Sub is not called for and they sound good, but when the Sub kicks in, I like it better.........They are very position sensitive, which to me means, height off floor, tried them flat on floor, didn't like, 12" off floor, didn't like, run them about 6" off floor, that I like.......I swear it took about 6 months of here and there, up and down, in corners, out of corners, before I got a position that suited my room and sound tastes.......all free mind you....I swear when I first got them home, and ran with no Sub, I was dissappointed.....almost to the point where I was going to repeat the 3 1/2 one way trip to Audio Classics and return them............I was sad,very sad, but I didn't...played with them...seem to have Sub just right.....Now I am very Happy with purchase...not sorry, not sad........but have the fever for Khorns......when that happens the H2's will go to the rear channels.....I'll keep them.....I bought brand new leftover's when The H3's came out...not sorry at all...good price for a great speaker.......but really, how can you go wrong buying Klipsch......any Klipsch...........................

• Moderators

Thanks guys for the comments! It looks like either the Heresy I or Heresy II, one can't go wrong.

Please let us know how you do in your quest for the Heresys.

BTW, welcome to the forum. I apologize for the late welcome but I have been rather busy the past couple of months and haven't been able to keep up with the forum(other than dtel filling me in here and there.

Good luck.

Hi All,

I'm thinking of getting a pair of Heresys. Is there a difference in sound between the Heresy I and the Heresy II?

Thanks,

i haven't read the whole thread, and nothing but the thread....what.....anyway, i have a pair of heresy II's that i am planning on putting on ebay. doing some spring cleaning, in hope, it's always spring......so if you're interested, let me know.

boy!!

Hi All,

I'm thinking of getting a pair of Heresys. Is there a difference in sound between the Heresy I and the Heresy II?

Thanks,

i haven't read the whole thread, and nothing but the thread....what.....anyway, i have a pair of heresy II's that i am planning on putting on ebay. doing some spring cleaning, in hope, it's always spring......so if you're interested, let me know.

boy!!

Well I've got a couple thoughts.

First: getting a pair from someone like Roy would be pretty cool.

Second, a bit more lengthy:

When I first EVER heard Klipsch, I was at a dealer in 1978. I loved the Khorns I saw but knew that woudln't fit my lifestyle at age 18, heading off to college. I pointed towards the LaScalas and said I wanted to hear THEM!!!

Salesdude cranked them up and I was FLOORED at not only their sound, but their loudness. Now with that said, regarding their loudness, I was a bit shocked & surprised that a speaker THAT big, had bass that sucked SOOOO much, given its size.

I can only presume that my face said it all because the salesman was absolutely RED in the face laughing at me... seems he snookered me.

He had sitting on top of the LaScalas, a set of Heresy's and it was the HERESYS that he was playing with me thinking it was the LaScalas.

Seems he had this little stunt down to a science.

So, ya "he got me". Other than the mind confusion of relatively weak bass coming from a box THAT BIG (think LaScalas) the Heresy's actually sounded pretty fantastic.

Ya know... I don't think I've EVER heard a pair of Heresy's nor Cornwalls from THAT day until last summer. In fact, I think last summer was the FIRST time I'd ever heard Cornwalls.

Get the Heresy's... and either get H-III's to support the company, OR, I'd get Roy's!!! (on the condition he signs the back of them as inspected and gives you a CD documenting their manufacture)

[A]

Hi All,

Thanks,

boy!!

Can you give me a price and some photos? Shipping would be to zip code 70030.

Thanks

Always the salesman aren't you..............just curious, what do you have?

oh i have 8 rods in all. 6 are falcon rods, the original series of course and i go shimano all the way. i have a coriolis that is my oldest and still my best reel... i wish i had bought more of them, then i have about 5 citica's and one castaic. i use mostly......oh.....you meant speakers.....[:$]

for home theater, i have the original first klipsch thx approved home theater system.....

for jamming, i have the original protos that spawned the epic series although now, i am using an electronic crossover, dx 38 and for mixing and playing on the computer, i have a pair of studio montiors that use rb 5 components but i use another active crossover and yes, a dx 38. now what sits around is debatable.....right now i have 15's, 18's, 12's, 8's, 4', 6's horns with 1" tweets, 2' tweets, a couple of outdoor spks, an outdoor sub, those heresy's, a single 18's sub cabinet that had the aura in it, two of the small stage monitors, a couple of car cabinets that fit s-10 extended cabs, 1996-98 models..... and that's what i can see.

after working for klipsch a couple of years, you start alot of projects but don't finish many....

boy!!

oh i have 8 rods in all. 6 are falcon rods, the original series of course and i go shimano all the way. i have a coriolis that is my oldest and still my best reel... i wish i had bought more of them, then i have about 5 citica's and one castaic. i use mostly......oh.....you meant speakers.....[:$]

for home theater, i have the original first klipsch thx approved home theater system.....

for jamming, i have the original protos that spawned the epic series although now, i am using an electronic crossover, dx 38 and for mixing and playing on the computer, i have a pair of studio montiors that use rb 5 components but i use another active crossover and yes, a dx 38. now what sits around is debatable.....right now i have 15's, 18's, 12's, 8's, 4', 6's horns with 1" tweets, 2' tweets, a couple of outdoor spks, an outdoor sub, those heresy's, a single 18's sub cabinet that had the aura in it, two of the small stage monitors, a couple of car cabinets that fit s-10 extended cabs, 1996-98 models..... and that's what i can see.

after working for klipsch a couple of years, you start alot of projects but don't finish many....

boy!!

Roy,

Oh Lord, I hope that first part was about fishing gear!!!!

i have the original protos that spawned the epic series although now

A while back, I had the oppertunity (first time) to listen to the larger epic's powered by some pre- Manley(sp?) amps at an elderly friends cabin. .....when I say elderly, that means younger than BEC.......Anyway, they were interesting. Clean, powerful, and accurate at low volumes (compaired to my bast*rd CW bins) and a good example of the benefits provided from using a double woof. One could see/hear the writing on the wall (Jub) even in a reflex design.

At some point, I removed the Little Lennin Sisters from the CD player, put on something with a bit more LF dynamics, ran up the SPL's in an attempt to blow some cobwebs.........

and heard horrible LF distortion! I thought it was the tube amps. Turned it down and moved outside to the deck for escape. (behind the epic's) The outside wall was deflecting like crazy and at that point it clicked. I went back inside, pulled the speaker from the corner and bear-hugged it with my knees against the back. All bad things went away.

Question: How do I get inside the things to brace the backs? Remove the woofers and (try to) work through the openings or brace them from the outside back ala Cornwall?

tc

PS: once the wifes were instructed, and positioned to bear-hug / brace the backs, they sounded realy good[:D]

boy!!

Roy,

Oh Lord, I hope that first part was about fishing gear!!!!

i have the original protos that spawned the epic series although now

A while back, I had the oppertunity (first time) to listen to the larger epic's powered by some pre- Manley(sp?) amps at an elderly friends cabin. .....when I say elderly, that means younger than BEC.......Anyway, they were interesting. Clean, powerful, and accurate at low volumes (compaired to my bast*rd CW bins) and a good example of the benefits provided from using a double woof. One could see/hear the writing on the wall (Jub) even in a reflex design.

At some point, I removed the Little Lennin Sisters from the CD player, put on something with a bit more LF dynamics, ran up the SPL's in an attempt to blow some cobwebs.........

and heard horrible LF distortion! I thought it was the tube amps. Turned it down and moved outside to the deck for escape. (behind the epic's) The outside wall was deflecting like crazy and at that point it clicked. I went back inside, pulled the speaker from the corner and bear-hugged it with my knees against the back. All bad things went away.

Question: How do I get inside the things to brace the backs? Remove the woofers and (try to) work through the openings or brace them from the outside back ala Cornwall?

tc

PS: once the wifes were instructed, and positioned to bear-hug / brace the backs, they sounded realy good[:D]

not only fishing gear....BASS fishing gear.....i'll have you know....[:D]

if you had to bear hug it to make the noise go away, something is wrong with the cabinet. loose joints or backs or motorboards loose. i would check that first and the cab may have to be doctored on.....by doc who!!

boy!!

If you are looking for a good set of floorstanders and want vintage Klipsch might I suggest buying a pair of Fortes instead.

They dig much deeper (-3 db @ 32 Htz) and IMO are just better overall speakers than the Heresys for two channel listening.

The Quartet, Forte and Chorus are what some would term Neo-Heritage Klipsch as PWK still had a hand in their design.

Explain Neo-Heritage Klipsch...............does that mean the don't make them anymore, and they still make the HERESY......................[;)]

No just the next 1/2 generation. Firmly seated in the Heritage past, but making inroads towards modern engineering with Passive Radiators (and in the II series, Tractrix horns).

M

I have three of the speakers mentioned here and have done a lot of comparison side by side on them. I may be one of the few here that feels that way, but I would pick the Heresy above the Forte and would pick the Chorus ahead of the Heresy.

Bob Crites