Another 5AR4 went on one of the VRD's...

Mike Lindsey

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Switch all the tubes from the amp that have never made the noise when you fire them back up. If the original noisy amp remains noisy then send it up here. Oh and when switching all these tubes check the bias on both amps.

Will do... as a matter of fact I'll switch them now while waiting on the 5AR4, and then will bias after getting it.

Mike

Mike,

What kind of tube tester are you using? What all does it measure?

garymd,

What would cause a fuse to blow in the VRD other than a dead short? [*-)]

Chops,

I think one of my output tubes had a bad connection. I tightened the pin sockets and the problem seemed to go away.

I have about 10 spare fuses. As long as the fuse goes and not the Mullard 5AR4, I'll be a happy camper. [:D]

A buzzing transformer is something you shouldn't live with for 30 seconds!! But then I have never seen (heard?) one that stopped buzzing when you put your hands on it! Sounds a bit like faith healing to me!!

Box it up, ship it to Craig and have it checked out. There is something wrong--probably more than just a bad tube since you've burned through a couple of rectifiers in a short time.

Yes, if I put my hands on both sides of the transformer it would stop buzzing. Sometimes it would stop temporarily... other times for the remainder of the day.

I had a similar situation and slightly tightening the laminations solved the problem. It could be as simple as that.

Kudret

Yes, if I put my hands on both sides of the transformer it would stop buzzing. Sometimes it would stop temporarily... other times for the remainder of the day.

I had a similar situation and slightly tightening the laminations solved the problem. It could be as simple as that.

Kudret

What or where are the laminations?

Mike

Kudret

What or where are the laminations?

Mike

Mike,

He means the 4 machine screws and nuts that hold the transformer itself together. Very doubtful that its the problem but you can give it a try without any ill effects possible. Just tighten the nuts as tight as you can get them with a nut driver. You most likely will need a screw driver to keep from turning the machine screw along with the nut. Which transformer is it by the way? One is slightly larger lamination wise then the other. Is it the smaller of the two or the larger?

Craig

I told you those VRD's were a piece of junk. Didn't I offer you

to trade them even up for my bogen monos, 100 watts per side versus

those wimpy 40 watts or so.

Craig's a visgoth too. Probably assembles them with a cudgel.

Sweet, sweet Bogen. Hexfreds instead of those tube

rectifiers. Restored by Thebes himself to exacting standards of

exalted craftsmanship.

post-14801-1381931455804_thumb.jpg

I told you those VRD's were a piece of junk. Didn't I offer you to trade them even up for my bogen monos, 100 watts per side versus those wimpy 40 watts or so.

60... but who's counting? [:D]

Sweet, sweet Bogen. Hexfreds instead of those tube rectifiers. Restored by Thebes himself to exacting standards of exalted craftsmanship.

Ahhh, Thebes, miss you buddy... where you been lately? Hope you've been staying busy and staying out of trouble. Let me know when it gets too cold up there and you want to come down for a few days.

Mike

"Quit buying the Sovteks -- they are pure unadulterated junk."

Well, sorry to have to be on the other side yet again, but I've had Sovteks that gave good performance for literally years without a single problem. I find their output voltage to run a little lower than some, including Mullards and some others, but I've never had one simply fail, and in fact ordered a couple of extra for the Moth amp during the summer.

I think it's important to retain the subjective aspect of all of this. I agree that the newer Chinese 5AR4s or rugged, seemingly well-made rectifiers, but I haven't found your evalutation of the Sovtek versions to be the case.

Erik

Seems you and Craig are in agreement. Uh, has that ever happened before?

Hey everyone -- bookmark this thread!!:)

Maybe Parts Express got a bad batch of them. I had a situation similar to Mikes and went through four of them over two weeks time. I went to Rubys and haven't had a problem since.