Hearing Loss

AZNracerx1989

Frequency, decibel level, and length of constant exposure are variable that OSHA uses to calculate acceptable level in factories and for American workers.

A couple of very bad sources are concerts- which tend to be very loud over a very long period of time, and headphones/earbuds which also tend to be overly loud for extended listening periods.

I always wear hearing protection when at concerts and using power tools.

Go to a audiologist and get tested.

Michael

I have hearing loss in my left ear even though I am only 16 years old. I can't hear anything over 3400 Hz on my left ear. I think I got it from my school's pep rally. It was extremely loud.

Does high freqency or low frequency damage your hearing more? Or is it the same?

Higher frequencies typically cause more hearing damage. Again any frequency loud enough can kill you. But the acceptable time exposure to high listening levels I believe is shorter for higher frequencies.

I got it checked at audiologist. That is how I know I have hearing loss. I didnt even notice my earing loss until I found out I couldnt hear the tweeter from my speakers with my left ear. I went to the doctor but he couldn't do anything.. just told me to stop listening to loud music.

Are movie theaters loud enough to damage hearing?

My grandmother had implants before 50, along w/my mother who both experienced hi-freq loss, and certain low mid-bass loss too.

How on Earth I managed to attend 40+ concerts and run lights for a local band, and STILL have good hearing is beyond me, but value this precious gift. I know I don't abuse my hearing anymore.....well, not too often! (lol)

Listening to very loud music or being exposed to constant noise above 90dB will lead with time to hearing loss.People in the army often have hearing loss as firing firearms and having cannons firing is an instant recepie for hearing loss.Anything SPL too brutal can only lead to hearing damage.

Why one ear,I doubt you abused.It may be causes out of your control. May be an ear infection for some reason gone unchecked.It does not take much to damage a part as complex and fragile as the inner ear.

I never listen above 100dB even be it for a few minutes.In high school I never used Walkmans or headphones.Never blasted car sound systems to impress anyone.I do not go to concerts(rock)as they blast the crap so loud you end up with ringing. When I listen to music it at a level that can be sustained for hours.

Just because I have two monster sound systems with capabilities to destroy hearing I only use them most of the time around 85-95dB. People who claim sustained levels over 110dB are a must are deaf and ignorant and a word I will not use here.

Take care of your hearing,with vision these are the two most important senses.

I do know MECA uses 95db as the ceiling for SQ testing, and we also have restrictions on SPL testing levels. Requiring either an outboard (outside the vehicle) operating HU, or hearing protection if operating within the vehicle.

Good advice as aforementioned, but when you're young and stupid, well.........what more can be said!

Why only (1) ear? Generally speaking, as with vision too, very few have 50/50 (matching) levels. Most people have a stronger/or weaker ear/eye.

I got it checked at audiologist. That is how I know I have hearing loss. I didnt even notice my earing loss until I found out I couldnt hear the tweeter from my speakers with my left ear. I went to the doctor but he couldn't do anything.. just told me to stop listening to loud music.

Are movie theaters loud enough to damage hearing?

I am sorry that your doctor was so dismissive in his answer to you. It appears that you have noise induced hearing loss ( but I am guessing) in one ear. Why it is only on one side is possible clue to its cause and the doctor should have discussed that with you.

Noise induced hearing loss indicates this is a neural loss and the transduction of mechanical energy to neural firing is now impaired. For various reasons the high frequency portion of the cochlea (inner ear) is the most susceptible (fragile). The sad news was given to you by your doctor, this is permanent damage. However, what is important is to prevent further damage to that ear (loss at even lower frequencies) and to preserve the hearing in the "good" ear. It goes way beyond "stop listening to loud music". I would suggest that you examine how loud you actually do listen to music and be especially careful about headphone listening. Very importantly you should wear hearing protection (the wax impregnated foam inserts work fine and are easy to use - read the instructions). You should use these whenever you ride motorcycles, use power tools, use lawnmowers, play in a rock band, or fire guns etc. This is now a necessity. You should have your hearing monitored periodically for further problems. Also, use this as an opportunity to speak with the audiologist regarding why the hearing loss was restricted to one ear (if you have not already done so).

Good luck,

-Tom

If you are experiencing such a dramatic hearing loss at such a young age, it is most likely congenital - meaning you inherited it. How is your parents' hearing?

Hearing loss does not get better with age! So, that means you need to be very protective of the hearing you have left.

Since you are experiencing hearing loss at such a young age, you need to be especially careful. Never use anything like "earbuds" which concentrate the sound which reaches the inner ear. I'm way older than you and I have about a 20 - 30% loss of the mid range in my right ear - probably caused by ***** shooting and hunting when I was about your age - nothing like having a 12 gauge shotgun going off right beside your ear!

I told my doctor that I was being a good boy by wearing hearing protection when I mowed the lawn. He replied that I should where hearing protection when I ran the vacuum cleaner!

The moral of the story is that you need to be especially cautious so that you protect the hearing you have left. Once you lose it it's gone, you're never going to get it back. You need to think of this as a VERY big deal.

I agree with a previous poster - I'm very surprised your doctor was so dismissive. Aside from the mechanical causes (noise), there is also the (remote) possibility that your hearing loss could be caused by a tumor on the auditory nerve. You should see a different doctor & a CT scan may be in order.

Be careful.

James

What I don't get is why only one of my ears have loss. I can hear over 18000hz in my right ear.

you got lucky, really lucky.

You might contact Forum member LarryC as he is especially knowledgable in this area.

Protect what hearing you have left- seriously this is nothing to mess around with. If you enjoy music, listen responsibly and you can still have a lifetime of enjoyment.

I worked at an airport, around construction, and Rock and Roll stage for much of my life. But I kept earplugs in when appropriate and have pretty sensitive hearing today.

Michael

Wind noise can also be a problem. Like riding with the windows down in a car/truck. You will sustain more damage on the left side if you are a driver (or passenger on the left side in a rear seat).

My youngest uses earbuds all the time, but he always has them at an incredibly low level. He can be sitting around the corner in his room listening to music, and tell when I open the bedroom door (which is very quiet). I am more concerned about his playing trumpet in an orchestra.