rear projection Tvs

xdetroitx

I have been trying to decide on a tv lately and after pricing them I am considering buying a 1080p rear projection tv. This decision is based mostly on price. I can get a nice Samsung or Sony with a 57" screen for about $2000 dollars. I understand I occasionally have to replace the bulbs, but in 4 years I plan on stepping up to a projecter so I am not really concerned with the replacing of bulbs. I am just really tired of watching movies on my 21" symphonic. What's your opinion in this matter? I have always heard complaints about rear projection but it seems like the best bang for the buck.

On the other hand, we just bought a 50" Sony Grand Wega for our daily TV. We have a front PJ setup in the HT so we have both.

As to viewing angles, right this second, I am about 40 degrees off axis from our Sony and the picture is stunning. It is only 720P but to my eyes, I really can't see the difference espically when you remember that the source is only 480i.

We went with the rear PJ for the durability and lower overall cost of operation. Our set is on for about 18 hours a day so we will go through a bulb in about a year and a half. After 10 years, the price of a flat screen LCD of the same size as our RP and the cost of replacing the bulbs will about even out with each other. HOWEVER we will have had better quality viewing as we will be starting from a "new" set every year and a half while the quality of the flat pannel will only go down hill from day one.

As to depth, our set is only 13 inches deep, no big problem there as it replaced a 32" tube set that died which was much deeper than the RP.

In the end, you need to do what you need to do but I wouldn't use a PJ setup as a daily TV as the bulb life is much shorter than a RP and the cost of the bulbs for the PJ is much higher.

Enjoy the ride, good luck to you in whatever you decide!

I also have a Grand Wega 720p slim model...I heard alot about viewing angles before I bought it but have yet to experience any of what I heard..The pic awesome...They come highley recommended from me...Although I did see a comercial for Circuit City selling a panasonic plasma for like 1200...

I am in such a quandry over this...to my eyes the plasmas are the most exciting but most exciting in the store (sometimes due to set up) is not always an indicator of what you want at home...I am not so concerned with reflections (the knock on plasma) and there are disinformation everywhere on which is best, flat panel LCD, Plasma, Rear Screen Projection LCD...I thought I wanted a Sony SXRD but that recent thread here for the Panasonic 42" Plasma for $999 (door buster at Best Buy) actually had me awake to try the Black Friday sale for the first...and LAST time...the line was around the block and with only 5 at each store...I just left...so, the hunt continues...

Bill

We have plasmas at my work and after a year and a half Id say maybe 25% have pixel issues. As far as size goes the new rear profections are as small as alot of Lcds. Thats what surprised me. They are maybe 16 inches deep and are the same size as Plasmas in other dimensions. Im still shopping and comparing. I wont be making my decision till after Christmas because I refuse to step foot in a store this time of year. I have zero tolerance for idiots and they are everywhere right now.

Sounds like a wise decision with these crowds [:)] as for rear projection tv's, I have two, a 60" 1st Gen. Sony LCD which I just replaced the bulb on after 3 years of hard use and it's just like brand new, and a Samsung 46" DLP which had two color shift problems after about a year, but which Samsung Customer Service handled by replacing an expensive chip box without any hassles to me. I can recommend both and as for the angle problems, I don't have any when sitting the proper distance back from the screen (I'm in the kitchen now at about a 60 degree angle from the set without any picture loss) unlike display distance in a store (when you are on top of the set there is a greying out of the picture at angle view).

Best of luck in your search!

• 2 weeks later...

I had a Sony 55"a2000 sxrd,very nice tv,great blacks.I took it back when I found a 55"e2000 for $1285(about a grand cheaper).I had them both in my house,side by side with the same signal and basic settings and I could see the sxrd was better but only slightly,about $300 worth.On some scenes they looked very similar but for blacks the sxrd was very nice.I'm happy w/my 1285 tv in a 2nd room and took the 1k and bought a new amp.For the money it's a great tv.

I have a 60" Panasonic LCD-Rear Projection TV In my Living room, and a 42" Samsung Plazma in my bedroom.

While the Plazma is brighter, and does have a virtually unlimited viewing angel. The Burn-in Problem that most retail sales men will tell you "Isn't really a problem any more" IS a problem. Thankfully Samsung Plazma's have Built in White wash Burn in remover, which I run once a week, since EVERY channel on TV now has their stupid station logo in the corner, and burns right into the Plazma panel. I do have to run it for about 2 hours to remove all burn in.

My 60" LCD-Projection however has no burn in, I could leave a still image on the screen for days and it would not burn in. LCD-Projections are actually pretty slim, Unlike Old CRT Projections. They Don't have color guns, and Like was mentioned. The only thing that should ever really need repair is the Bulb which 99.99% of LCd Projection TV's are user replaceable, and will only cost a few hundred dollars to purchase the bulb. The viewing angel is not quite as good as the plazma, but Who watched their TV looking down the side of it? Any NORMAL view postion is a great picture on an LCD-Projection.

Pound for Pound you can get more inputs, and a larger screen from an LCD Projection, for the same or less money.

I think Plazma's are a good technology, but Untill the burn in problem solved, They will not take over the market.

Just my $0.02.

-TheChad

Great price on the Samsung! They make a great DLP/TV.

I found the colors "as shipped" too much. Go get a good test disc, set it up one time and you should be in heaven!

Set it up in your room with as much darkness as possible.

Are you HDTV through Cable or Sat and what else do you plan to use too?

I am just going to use it for dvds. I cannot afford cable till after school or some side jobs come my way. I have a yamaha progressive scan dvd player but its not hd or bluray. Im waiting out for one to win the format wars and cheaper prices to come. With the new house and all the fixing up I have to do with it I am strapped for time and money. I have to finish the house before I can move my theatre in and Im not even going to take the tv out of the box till then.