Building backs on older (1989) K horns like the new 60th Anniversary ones.

IndyKlipschFan

I think the weight is one of the huge issues here, too, your right Paul.

As far as the physical size, if your looking again at the pic I posted on page one of this thread (Of the 60th version) What were doing is just enclosing it up to where your side grill cloths are in the back. (I doubt I will enclose the top section where the horns are what is the point? So the physical measurement will remain the same if you did this mod or not on the bottom section of the K horn.

I am sure if you had measurements by extending this out some it may or may not make a difference. A Jubilee bottom does this and also has one more extension where the grill cloth is on a k horn, re firing it out into the room not into the corners.

Again, my understanding was the walls "as designed in this k horn design" are what helps the bass move into the room. What were really doing is this.. making sure it fires out forward into the room itself.

Another thing to consider is that with the back completely closed in
as with the 60'th, you would no longer be able to tuck them
tightly into good corners due to issues with existing baseboards or
heat rads etc.

When doing this mod, would a bottom not be
required as well? Also, the back would have to be attached
outside the bassbin as opposed to being inset (flush with the existing
woodwork) like with the 60'th model. Don't want to change
the size of the final flare.

Monday December 11th, we start woooo hooooooo

We will have pics for everyone too.. Here we go. Wish us luck!

Should take 1-2 days.. + labor costs and the cost of the wood.

I still say this mod should be easy, and VERY duplicable if the results are good.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/837644/ShowThread.aspx#837644

I moved this to the updates and mods section. (I apologize and I am not sure why I posted it here to begin with, I am so sorry.) Pat will be here tomorrow (Dec 11th) as planned, and this should take 1-2 days we will have pics and a "do it yourself to manual" for others to see and do. I am very excited to finally try this one.. Especially for those with good (but not perfect rooms, too) I bet a lot of you are interested and SHOULD try this yourself too. (If our results seem worthy too.) Wish us luck!

OK, so day one down. We went slow measured twice... Found a great sheet of 3/4 " Baltic Birch Plywood that were using for the backs.

Yes, (I know hard to believe) I even cut some today using a jig saw for the fake bottoms. We have the sides all cut, and will need to do the back and the braces tomorrow. This could be a one day job, were taking our time in two and getting it done right.

Pat is a great guy, were having fun, and I am looking forward to hearing the results tomorrow.