Building backs on older (1989) K horns like the new 60th Anniversary ones.

IndyKlipschFan

Pat has already broken the first rule of construction- NEVER give a tool to the customer! LOL

Sounds like you guys have a good handle on the project. I once cut a board three times and it was still too short!

M

Thanks, for the vote of confidence!!! I did take woodworking in Jr High, and HS, and have piddled around SOME mister "m" hahahahahahaha

naw I did ok... Day two just getting started!

INDY

We made new tailboards on the backs.. then the sides will anchor into those..screwed down on the braces..

Were using all around 3/4" Baltic Birch plywood, so they will be stiff, not vibrate at all, and make for a great seal to bounce that sound out the sides..to the front.

icon-quote.gifbluesboy:

Maybe I missed something, but how do you get to the woofer if the back of the bass bin is sealed?

Pat said, "Good question.........I saw the back of the tweeter and a huge midrange horn but never did see a woofer. Maybe the front?"

The answer! Lots of screws... Thank goodness for power screw drivers.... (Pat where the speaker wires go in the sides... that "DOOR" is the entry port for the x overs, (in my case the AK-4's), and the Woofer.) So to answer this Question the side panels we built below those is the "door" to the woofer. So the side panels can be unscrewed to get to the door for the woofer...and unscrewed, if needed. The beauty of the mod is it is duplicable and reversible. (you can go back to what you had before no problem.)

I almost wanted to let Pat, a"Non Heritage Guy," give you his impression first. But it is hard to hold back. Most of you know me as a straight shooter, I would be honest, even if after paying Pat, (Who by trade is a great woodworker and knows his stuff, besides being a great guy, too!) and the expense of the wood, etc., etc., if it did not do what I had hoped.

I will say this to burst the bubble... To the "Doubting Thomas Crowd." [:P]

ATTENTION.... Klipsch K horn users... BB, especially forum members..... Anyone who cares..... WOW, do we have good, clean, WONDERFUL, big full natural sounding bass. They go a lot lower in my situation than they EVER sounded before....in my room. Not boom box bass, but full sounding three way HUGE sounding K horns speakers that now come to life... [<:o)] Like I had heard in the 60th anniversary ones. And no, not at all do they need to be tucked into the corners.

Mission accomplished!! The wood we used anyone can get and use too. The parts list? 3/4" 4'x8' Baltic Birch. The cost $59.99 + screws. We had extra scraps out of that to even make the braces, too, I believe. Correct me, if I was wrong on the parts list here, Pat. In my case, I had a professional woodworker in Pat for his time but if you do it yourself no real other cost of course. (I helped a few times hold guide and cut some smaller pieces as well. I did not have the power tools to do this job, and I wanted it done right.) I am sure most of you "weekend warriors" could duplicate it though. I am sure I could, if I had to now.

So what did we build with the 4'x8' Baltic Birch we hauled home??

We built a new tail board back, 2 sides, some braces, a new bottom on both sides. measured 1,2,3 times Screw them all down tight and you will be rewarded to what your K horns were "supposed" to sound like.. OK, "my opinion" but I am serious here... I can't think of anyone who has K horns that could NOT benefit from this mod at all. Even those in a "perfect room" now, I feel in my gut this would be a improvement to what you have now. It is THAT dramatic

I will post pics Wednesday. This is a easy mod anyone can do, too. A LOT of you might want to do this, even if yours in corners sound pretty good now... Trust me, this IMO will make them better. Why so?? Your walls and foundation will not rattle by your speakers up against them and you will get 100% of the sound to go where it should go to... into your room!! We used 3/4" Baltic Birch plywood...(Think really solid vibration free wood!) It does not rattle, no air escaping anywhere, solid as a rock, and throws that sound out to the sides.... into your room like your K horns were intended to do. And like I had heard before in the 60th Anniversary ones.. you will NOT have to have these snug in the corner, so you or I can now toe them into the room a little where the dream sweet spot SHOULD BE, it IS now.. And they are wonderful.

Pat, please give your thoughts, then I will go into it more tonight or tomorrow. And again publicly, THANK YOU!!!!!

i meant to say this earlier but it sounds like you did what i was going to mention....add braces!!

roy delgado

Thanks Roy!!!!

We did... two braces on each side... So the new back panels are braced at the top, two more braces in between, and the new bottom plate per side. So that is what, four braces that the new backs are screwed down to, with like 4-5 screws per brace? Chime in Pat, this sounds right to me?

Bottom line is there is no flex or ringing in the back at all. We used lots of screws on the braces into the backs of the K horn, then more screws into the new back side panels into the new braces too. This created a very sturdy solid seal, and again, nothing rattles at all. We accomplished this by using the solid as all heck, 3/4", Baltic Birch Wood.

And as we planned, and yes hoped for, (OK, I prayed too..am I crazy to do this to my beloved K horns???? LOL) No air at all escapes in the back or seams.... and no ringing.... Literally it is so solid, you can beat on the backs and no dings .. nothing!!!!

That's why, IMO, this is a mod (even those tucked perfectly into corners, or for those lucky to have them even in a "perfect room") that you just might find you will love. WHY? It will REALLY enhance what you have already. The bass bottom end goes out where it should.. INTO your room! Not rattling your back walls! And face it, do you really feel your seal.... while playing music and pushing that air of bass music to the side walls remains a closed seal anyhow? I tried everything from what was sent from Klipsch new, to foam, to who knows what else.

Face it, that drywall or whatever you have probably flexes some.. (might even rattle at mid to high SPL's.. Go into the next room when it is cranked up you KNOW it does.... And that is adding a muddiness not intended to your music!)

Ask yourself?? Don't you want good clean solid great wonderful MUSICAL sounding Klipschorns you dreamed about, worked hard for, obsessed over in your room? Even if it is imperfect, placement wise, to do so?

Did I say they sound WONDERFUL?

OK, I will say it again.... they just sound WONDERFUL!!!!

OK, it's one thing to sound musical... It's another thing to have bass whereby if you crank it, it punches you so hard it knocks you over. If one was in such a mood, do they go boom boom?

Yes ma'am. I'm sure they do go "boom boom". Were one so inclined...