OT - Football Playoff's

PhilMays

OK, no disrespect intended to any fans of these teams, but, Boise St. needs to beat the crap out of Oklahoma so talks of a playoff will resurface.

There will be enough to debate over whether Florida should be there in the title game, or some other one loss team.

The way I see it, if you have an undefeated team at the end of the year that did not play in the title game and beat the crap out of it's very respected opponent, then what?

Why the need for a so called "national champion" in the first place? This new system has destroyed old rivalries and traditions and all in the name of money and the interests of "sports fans". All that really mattered was whether or not the Big 10 beat the PAC 10 in the Rose Bowl. And other conferences had their traditions. Now this is destroyed.

It also used to be one could watch a college game as an afternoon's entertainment, complete with the half-time show, I liked watching the bands. But now at half-time you're whisked away to College Football Central or some such idiotic program where one is force fed the results of all the days games, no matter how uninteresting and stupid. Once again those that are "into" something have ruined it for the rest of us who are merely interested.

Note that the University of Chicago used to be a football power. Then they decided that football wasn't the business they were in. I don't think you'll see many young people turning down going to Chicago to go to Oklahoma or Florida.

I liked watching the bands

I guess it was last year, but my dad drove from Hilton Head to Knoxville and we both drove to Columbus, OH, to watch the first game of the year. Our Alma Mater (Miami/Ohio) was playing AT Ohio State and we knew Miami would get killed.

The biggest reason we went? Dad loves to watch the bands too. We got there early & watched OSU's band practice, as well as Miami's band AND the special treat was, it was Alumni Band day, and they had like 200 FORMER OSU band members there.

They TORE that building up... about 600 as I recall, brass & percussion players jamming... it was a real treat.

At halftime, not only did OSU do the script Ohio thing... but they did FOUR of them at the same time, one facing each side of the field.

After halftime show was over, we of course, hit the road and came home, already knowing the demise of Miami...

So, we basically drove up there to watch the halftime show in person.

[Y]

Why the need for a so called "national champion" in the first place? This new system has destroyed old rivalries and traditions and all in the name of money and the interests of "sports fans". All that really mattered was whether or not the Big 10 beat the PAC 10 in the Rose Bowl. And other conferences had their traditions. Now this is destroyed.

It also used to be one could watch a college game as an afternoon's entertainment, complete with the half-time show, I liked watching the bands. But now at half-time you're whisked away to College Football Central or some such idiotic program where one is force fed the results of all the days games, no matter how uninteresting and stupid. Once again those that are "into" something have ruined it for the rest of us who are merely interested.

Note that the University of Chicago used to be a football power. Then they decided that football wasn't the business they were in. I don't think you'll see many young people turning down going to Chicago to go to Oklahoma or Florida.

Come on TB. It's money of course. Lots of money. As for going to the good ole U of Chicago, young people will choose to go there why? Money of course, as in starting salary.

"If location were the reason people went to a program, then I would think Hawaii would have a perienial power house"

Maybe I'm nuts but Hawaii (a place Tom Wolfe called "rube Valhalla") is about the last place in The United States I want to go to. Virginia is very pretty and has richer history too.