am i crazy? k-horn? jubalee?

joessportster

heres what i am assuming that the jubalee is sorta like a k-horn with an extra 15" bass driver, (i know its 2 channell also), so heres my question, what would it sound like to take my 2'nd k-horn bass bins and set them alop my 1'st pair of k-horns leaving the mid and tweet section in its original posistion, then wire the 2 bass bins in series or parallel, (whatever is better) with the crossover in the mix of course??????????

i would of course have floor to ceiling speaker in the long wall corners of my room that measures 18X13.......

next question AM I NUTS [^o)] THE WIFE THINKS I AM, she says what if you like it then you will want another pair for the basement...........( sounds like a scheme to get a 3'rd pair!!!!!!!!! whew hew[:P]

PS. i am seriously considering trying this just to see what i get for sound

Joe

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well after stacking them your wife would kill you. Assuming you survived the attack, you would have a great deal of bass but not the jubilee sound.

The jubilee cabinets were a pair of 12in (not 15 in). But more importantly the folding was done in such a way (along with the use of 12 in speakers) so that you would get the bass cabinet to go up to about 900-1000Hz (rather than the 400-500 Hz of the K-Horn). This allowed a higher cutoff frequency which in turn allowed a 2-way set up.

I think some folks have tried this simple stacking concept with La Scalas, I am guessing that they got a better sensitivity and perhaps lower distortion but I doubt that the bandwidth of the cabinet was changed. But this is only a guess, I am sure others will chime in.

Good luck (and your wife is a saint),

-Tom

A couple meandering thoughts.

1. Let's presume you COULD exactly duplicate the sound/impact of a Jubilee by stacking two Khorns. Wouldn't you rather sell said Khorns, clean up all that stacking & replace it all with a SINGLE speaker to get the same sound it took TWO Khorns to reprouce? Wouldn't that be a testamony in and of itself if it took two Khorns to do that?

2. Presuming I interpreted one of Roy's emails properly, the Jubilee has 1/10th the distortion of the Khorn. I may not have interpreted it right and I never asked him for clarification, but it's my take on what I read.

3. The 402 horn sitting on top, for me, in my room (blah blah blah), offers a MUCH wider sweet spot than the Khorns did (stock drivers/horns). It seems to have a lot more presence in the room.

4. The Jubilee (in my room, my electronics, blah blah blah) sound a lot "bigger" than the Khorns did, CLEARLY more bass (and it's clean) than the Khorns and the Jubilee throws that sound MUCH further into the house if you want it to... just takes a twist of the knob.

1/10 the distortion of a Klipschorn?

I won't be able to post it until Monday when I'm back at the office, but I'll find it and post his exact comments. Again, if you read what I said, I left myself some "wiggle room" for misinterpreting his comments (I've learned SOME tricks during my working years) [;)][:P]

Also possible (if the number I used is wrong), that maybe he did a typo

For what it's worth, stacking khorn bass bins like you suggest is going to increase their output by 6dB - basically reducing distortion by 6dB for the same playback levels. You are going to get some beaming at the higher frequencies due to the seperation of the bass bins. I also believe the khorn was designed to have a floor beneathe it, so the top inverted bass bin isn't going to be loaded the same as the bottom one unless it's actually tight against the cieling. And then on top of it all, you're going to have to change a few tap settings and possibly modify a few more parts inside the crossover. I would anticipate spending $50-$100...

The resulting sound should be quite impressive though. I would expect deeper low frequency extension as well as an overall flatter response provided the extra beaming isn't an issue.

Just remember you cant unring a bell. I have never heard a tube or a k horn so I cant comment. I have heard Lascalas and cornwalls. In the spirit of not better bass, but more of it, I think I have the best of both worlds. With my less than desirable room I dont think K horns could possably sound better. With a marantz 4400 Quadradial receiver I can play just the lascalas or just the cornwalls seperately or all 8 speakers together. Lascalas on main front/rear, Cornwalls on remote front/rear. The LS 400 horns dwarf the CW 600 horns but the CW bass seems to compliment the Lascalas to my satisfaction.

post-18012-13819317835556_thumb.jpg

If you want to know about stacking Khorns in your living room, ask this guy:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/2/713535/ShowThread.aspx

And don't forget to hang a pair of La Scala's on the wall for your center channel!

I'm surprised that either the bracing of the top units doesn't give way or the top one just doesn't come toppling over during something that got some real bass.