OT: I Need A Good Cold Remedy. Do you have one that works?

Travis In Austin

• Moderators

I have been fighting a cold for a week. I never get sick, I mean never ever, maybe a couple of sniffles for a day or two. I have not missed a day of work in over 10 years, probably more like 15. This last week I got a cold, sore throat, stuffed up, cough, etc. It has been around all week, I missed a day Tuesday, would start to get better, then came back on Friday, I was out in the a.m. but made it to court in the afternoon.

I had some sufafed to try it out, Theraflu in the evening, then my wife got me some Niquill Day and Night, gel caps which I have been taking since Friday night, but this cold is still lingering. In my nose a little and in my chest.

Does anyone have a surefire cold remedy to drown this thing out once and for all? I sure would appreciate it.

Travis

You can figure on another week of suffering. If it's a cold there's no cure just stuff to relieve the symptoms. I rarely get sick either but usually get one of these colds twice a year. Starts off with a sore throat for a few days then the stuffy nose and achey feelings and finally down into the chest. Eventually it will run it's course and go find someone else to bother. Niquil at night and cold and flu remedies during the day. Hot salt water for the sore throat three times a day. Lot's of vitamin C (1,000mg) and chicken soup for the soul. It won't hurt you! Hope you get to feeling better.

At this point, you can only treat the symptoms. klipschaholic's right: You've got a week (at least) to go with a virus. Check the labels on those OTC meds. They usually all have the same active ingredient (so you don't want to "double up"). What works for me, at the first sign of a cold, is Zicam. I guess it's been in the news lately, apparently it can screw up your sense of smell. Oh well...

• Moderators

Klipschoholic and Fini,

Thanks for the info. I heard that Zicam really works great too. If this thing is not done by today I will get some of that tomorrow. Thanks for the saltwater idea, forgot about that one, my mom used to have me do that when I was a kid, always worked. The vitimin C usually works well with me too, I am going to hit that as well.

Travis

• Moderators

Echinacea, Zinc,chicken soup, and orange juice works for me. The Echinacea and Zinc prevent the cold virus from replicating. Other than that something to treat the symptoms like Nyquil.

What, prey tell, is Echinacea? Is it legal is the U.S.? Where do I get that. My mom used to be real big on Zinc also, I forgot about that too.

Travis

Travis,

Sinus Rinse is a good product, too, albeit a little gross sometimes (you squirt it into your nose until it flows into your throat).

Here's another gross thing: Do you know how much snot people normally swallow every day? About 1 quart!

I hope this makes you feel better!!

• Moderators

Travis,

Sinus Rinse is a good product, too, albeit a little gross sometimes (you squirt it into your nose until it flows into your throat).

Here's another gross thing: Do you know how much snot people normally swallow every day? About 1 quart!

I hope this makes you feel better!!

Whoa,

That is too much information!!!!!

Like everyone else said, you just have to wait it out.

In the meantime, Advil Cough & Cold/Sinus Gel Caps seem to work best during the day. Niquil at night.

Hope you feel better soon. On a positive note, once it's over, you're usually good for a long while and it sounds like the worst is behind you.

Echinacea, Zinc,chicken soup, and orange juice works for me. The Echinacea and Zinc prevent the cold virus from replicating. Other than that something to treat the symptoms like Nyquil.

What, prey tell, is Echinacea? Is it legal is the U.S.? Where do I get that. My mom used to be real big on Zinc also, I forgot about that too.

Travis

Echinacea info can be found here .

A lot of folks think it works great (this includes my household), but studies are negative to inconclusive. Quite legal, too.

Zinc gluconate is the main stuff in Zicam. There are also zinc based lozenges.

Both of those really are better if you start using them at the first sign of a cold and/or flu. Another homeopathic remedy, mainly for flu, is oscillococcinum, marketed by Boiron. You can get it at the drugstore too, and it is OTC as well.

A good friend of mine where I work does the sinus wash regularly. Since we live in northwest Georgia, we have some of the worst pollen in the world (really). He says it helps him stay healthy with fewer pollen/allergy side effects. I prefer a few good shots of Scotch myself. I think it is called the two hat method. You hang a hat on the bed post, and drink until you see two hats. Go to sleep and wake up feeling better.

Bruce

alcohol, I've seen and been known to drink way to much to relieve a cold and I was fine the next morning

like hmm 10 shots or so, down blankets, lots of water prior to sleeping, I sweated that cold right out of me!

This will be my remedy attempt the next time I catch the dreaded cold.

In the evening, drink a sixpack of beer and smoke a pack of Marlboros while listening to music, then put on some running shoes and run three miles. Then take a shower as hot as you can stand it and go to bed, in the morning you will feel absolutely great.

The theory here is that whatever bug you have will be so alarmed at this he will sensibly decide to get out of you ASAP.

alcohol, I've seen and been known to drink way to much to relieve a cold and I was fine the next morning

like hmm 10 shots or so, down blankets, lots of water prior to sleeping, I sweated that cold right out of me!

This will be my remedy attempt the next time I catch the dreaded cold.

It works also for stubbed toes, paper cuts, and eye strain.