What's a fair price for these Klipschorns?

George Roland

I am considering selling my Klipschorns. They are 1977 vintage, black lacquer, with almost new Crites's netwroks and tweeters. I would call these "handyman specials." They have lots of chips, scratches, dents and dings but are structurally sound. The grilles on the bass bins will need to be replaced. One frame has no grille, others have holes, but all grille frames and mounting are in good shape. These would be great candidates for someone who would like to refinish them or who would like to try out K-horns without spending a lot because the veneer needs restoration. The Altec 511B's and adapters could be purchased in the sale. The original PWK Mid-horns are still in the top sections. They are fully operational and sound great.

What are they worth?

If anyone is interested in them, I live in Meadville, PA, zip 16335, within ca. two hours' drive of Pittsburgh, Buffalo or Cleveland.

I am still not totally decided on selling them, but I am curious what you guys think theyd' bring.

George

George, if you just recently bought these, I'd assume you would like to recoup your costs selling to a forum member. Just go ahead and let people know how much you need on the forum, and if people don't bite, throw them on EBay or Audiogon and try to squeeze all you can. We usually are cheap, but is is good to keep the good deals rolling for forum members.

Khorns can bring between $900 and $2000 in rugged condition. Keep in mind, your "rugged" pair could actually be fairly pristine, as a fussy owner sees ALL the faults over time.

I can get some pictures ready later to show. Can't do that right now. I paid $1,600 for the K-Horns and about $340.00 for the Crites's network and tweeters, and ca. $200.00 for the Altec horns. I'd like to get $1,850 for the K-Horns with the Crites additions and the stock horns, maybe $1,950 with the Altec horns and adapters thrown in too.

How's that sound?

George

I guess it's a little bit of both. There are a number of factors at play in the decision, hence the difficult nature of making the decision. I love the Klipschorns, and I love the idea of Paul Klipsch and his genius as a designer, engineer and cantankerous character. What a personality! But the K-horns are a little too overwhelming a presence visually, physically and sonically in my listening space. I don't really have a large enough listening room to let them work at their best. I don't have real corners for them to couple adequately to the walls, corners that are far enough apart or just enough volume of space in the room to get back from them far enough to really let them work their magic at its fullest.

Maybe none of that makes sense, but there it is.

George

Tuned, you could pick up a couple 1/4 inch walnut veneered panels for $40, and make it til you have time to do a good reveneer job yourself. Convenient drives are fairly uncommon, and the $$$ for a nicely turned set of walnut Khorns might come cheap, or very dear. This set in your neck of the woods is decent.

Well, I guess these would be Style Z. A previous owner topped the bass bins with a thick layer of particle board sprayed black. Oh yeah, one of the tops of the upper cabinets had a bit of the very back corner cut down. It doesn't affect anything acoustically, of course, but is another of the many cosmetic "warts" in these K=Horns.

George