what is your opion on monster power supply units?

iwillwalk

OK, I'll bite...and just make a general statement.

Many here will respond with scandalous diatribes regarding anything Monster or Bose...

But instead, I will simply say that the Monster line is fine. Nothing really exceptional, but neither is it 'bad'.

My issue is that they have successfully discovered a market secret that equates to ~ 1/3 engineering and the rest marketing hype. And that name and the marketing are expensive! Personally I don't value the name and marketing to the same degree they do, so we often do not travel the same path. Nor can I in good faith endorse their quasi-correct techno-babble that takes valid concepts and cites them more often than not in a non sequitar and out-of-context manner. But just because their marketing department is a bit mentally and ethically challenged, doesn't necessarily imply that their products are not reasonably designed. Just discount the hype! So, if you are just head over heels impressed with an item and can find a unit significantly underpriced, it may be a reasonable deal.

How's that for a back handed 'pan' of the equipment?[:)]

My take is that you should not buy it.

It's a UPS rated at only 600VA's. Thats not much. If you add the power consumtion of all your devices, and allow at least 33% over head, I think you will find that you fall short. The power consumtion can be found near the UL rating on the rear of all of your devices. Keep in mind, that some devices will cause a power on surge...for example, My 34 inch HD monitor draws 500VA, but the turn on surge is 1200VA's.

Additionally, UPS at this price point, do not do a very good job a reproducing the complete AC sine wave, and as a result, the dynamics of your amps will be limited.

I have a 900VA UPS that I stopped using, once I did some before and after evaluations.

I estimated my HT setup at idle, requires 1600 VA's. Thats just power up, not playing anything.

If you need more info, PM or email me.

• 2 weeks later...

The monster 30, 40, and 70 dollar surge protectors are pretty wimpy. At BB we sell a dynex one for 60 bucks that Ilike. Monster sent the store in Fargo (hick town North Dakota) a noise sniffer to plug into the AC outlets and read the interference. Apparently the dynex power filter beat out those three monster ones. I generally shoot for one tenth the price of all the customers equipment to put into a power conditioner.      Anyway, the Doctor was definately right that the markup on the items is ridiculous. But you can get good deals on the net. Personally, 
I would recommend this for a good power conditioner at a good price. http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/MCHTS3500MKII