Is One Hi-Fi System Enough?

edwinr

Arrgh!

I'm pulling my hair out. [:@]

How can a person put up with one Hi-Fi system? How can one Hi-Fi be all things to all people? On the one hand I want punch and dynamics when I watch movies. On the other I want to reproduce the nuances and delicacy of my favorite baroque recordings. The problem is, I want my cake and I want to eat it too! If I listened primarily to jazz ensembles, and didn't watch movies, maybe I could fashion a system based around a highly sensitive horn setup with a low power 300B SET amplifier...

I'm beginning to realise that it's not that easy to maximise movie performence without compromising your 2 channel listening pleasure.

Don't laugh. But I returned from the big city today and I ran this very question past my Hi-Fi dealer and he told me to buy a Bose 5 channel system for movies only. It's very discrete so I can incorporate a Bose system in the same room as my main system. In fact you would hardly see it. And when I want to want to listen to 2 channel, I simply switch the movie system off and forget it's there.

I can't believe I'm actually considering this option!

OMG! I need serious help... [:|]

If you want to stay Klipsch, you might be able to find a Quintet system that would do the job, too.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/discontinued/details/quintet-ii.aspx

But you're right about needing two systems if you want to enjoy both music and HT under one roof. I tried for years to get it right with using an HT system for music, and gave up. HT gear just seems to be designed to achieve different sonic goals than 2 channel gear.

Arrgh!

Don't laugh. But I returned from the big city today and I ran this very question past my Hi-Fi dealer and he told me to buy a Bose 5 channel system for movies only. It's very discrete so I can incorporate a Bose system in the same room as my main system. In fact you would hardly see it. And when I want to want to listen to 2 channel, I simply switch the movie system off and forget it's there.

I can't believe I'm actually considering this option!

OMG! I need serious help... [:|]

Well, well well.... so we're considering the "The Bose" are we.

Here's my take. I have actually seen, listened-to and played with a very nice Bose HTS set-up. Sorry, I don't know the model number of the components, but I'd know them if I saw them. 4 tiny little speakers surround the a tastfully decored family room of my wifes uncles ranch house, just east of the Big D..... Dallas.

The man is Brann, and his system is completely Bose, the processor and all speakers are Bose. The system is comprised of a small center channel, 4 tiny satalite surrounds and a tall slender sub that is well hidden. Brann has to be the coolest 70+ year old fellow I have ever met. We visit about 3+ times a year and when he see's me, he tosses me the remote. He know's me well, and I just love that old man.

The speakers are indeed tiny and discrete. Infact, you'd hardly even notice them, that is, until the system is turned on. I am quite impressed with his particular system, which is about 4 years old now, and I am still impressed with the sound dynamics and imaging of that quaint, tinny little system. Very simple setup. One evening after some heavy shopping with the wife and kids, I accidently cranked the Sub up, and rattled the painting on his walls during the opening of Appocolypst Now.

So, my response is simple, if you've got the coins, and you enjoy watching your DVD's and movies, why not. Go for it.

I had a guy I built a house for that was gonna buy the $2,995 set up for 2,495.He ask me what I thought.I told him come over to my house and you can hear a real HT set up.Afterwards he told me that he had no idea of the difference in a "real"HT and the Bose kiddy set up.He now owns a complete Klipsch HT and every time he see's me he thanks me.He told me his sister in law did buy the Bose set up and he helped them set it up.He then began to tell me how happy he was it weren't his set up.Is it better than nothing?Yes.Is it highway robbery for what you get?I think so,only my opinion.

Due to budget and space constraints, I actually had to make one system work, well sort of. I use a Niles A/B speaker selector to "change my system to 2-ch." I use the same set of Forte II's as mains, with my HK avr 520 for HT use and my HK 730 for 2-channel listening. Works for me.

Why not optimize your system for 2-channel playback....and then just happen to have a few more speakers in the room for doing movies? There is no fricken way a Bose system is going to outperform the sound of a 2-channel rig coupled with a pair of surround speakers and a center channel. Heck, the majority of the sound in movies is "2-channel music". I fail to see how the design criteria is any different. You apply all the same logic to your 2-channel rig that you do to your HT...just with HT you've got more speakers to worry about.

to be honest, sounds like your dealer is full of crap.

I had a guy I built a house for that was gonna buy the $2,995 set up for 2,495.He ask me what I thought.I told him come over to my house and you can hear a real HT set up.Afterwards he told me that he had no idea of the difference in a "real"HT and the Bose kiddy set up.He now owns a complete Klipsch HT and every time he see's me he thanks me.He told me his sister in law did buy the Bose set up and he helped them set it up.He then began to tell me how happy he was it weren't his set up.Is it better than nothing?Yes.Is it highway robbery for what you get?I think so,only my opinion.

GOOD MAN, way to spread the good news.

I've decided that 2 channel is my thing, but I still want to set up a theater. I picked up several Klipsch in-wall speakers to blend in to the room. It will be mostly hidden and I'm sure perform a lot more for a lot less than the cute little cubes. I am going to use a Sony digital receiver to drive them and hide subwoofers into the room.

Good luce whatever way you go, but $2500 can go pretty far around here.

Here are some pretty cheap in walls:

http://electronics.search.ebay.com/klipsch_In-Wall-Speakers_W0QQcatrefZC11QQsacatZ14994

A nice receiver to go with them:

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4112934

Subwoofer:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-KSW12-Subwoofer-BRAND-NEW-Authorized-Dealer_W0QQitemZ230064375170QQihZ013QQcategoryZ3275QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Get all of the above and you will still have about $1,000 left over to build a Home Theater PC that you can also use for your 2 channel setup.