Got a set of 1982 La Scalas for FREE

Glazierman

Happy New Year Well, I'm a Glazier by trade and seven years ago mirrored a set of La Scalas for a ball room and well last year they moved and I was called to remove and reinstall the forty count five by eight full length mirrors. when the end of removing the wall mirrors I found the La Scalas in the back warehouse sitting in the corner with broken mirrors on the sides of the cabinet. When I asked the owner about them he said I could have them for the taking, So now my question is I'm going to strip them and remirror them both with custom made bevelled edged mirrors. Has anyone ever seen a set of LaScalas mirrored before? and YES they work great!!!!

Good one, seti!

Glazierman, that is truly an awesome deal. It's good to see more folks in the trades here on the ol' K forum. Tell me more about your plans for your speakers. Will the edges be metal, or will the mirror run all the way to the corners/edges? I'd imagine you'd have to glue it on real well. La Scala sides vibrate A LOT.

Yes, the mirrors I origanally put on are still there just got broke moving. will remove and clean and re glue new beveled mirrors on and yes the edge will be mirror bevel just have to keep 1/8 clearance all around to keep from touching other mirrors vibration of two mirrors touching would be very bad indeed.This will be very slow process will custom cut and then have to be beveled at factory for each piece. Have to glue and let glue set and make sure does not move till glue is set four days .Been doing mirrors for 36 years.This will be tougher than first time seem like it took me two weeks last time and the mirrors were not bevelled. It takes about four days wait time for custom pieces. the original set did not have the front edges mirrored either.Also the side walls vibrating will be stiffened somewhat with mirror glued both inside and out, but they look pretty cool even broken. but I can't wait to get them re- finished . And man if you think there heavy now ???? about an extra 110lbs.

I wonder what it'd look like to mirror the complete horn channel...then maybe throw some LED's on the woofer powered by the audio signal feeding the woofer. Discoball lascala bassbins?

Way cool project - would love to see some pics. [Y]

it'd take one hell of a motor to rotate the thing!

I think Glazierman had the horn interiors mirrored the first time. Now he's taking the doghouse mirroring out to a point. Very cool.

maybe I could do up a couple Heresies in those little 1/2" tiles like used on the strobe balls....

Yes, the mirrors I origanally put on are still there just got broke moving. will remove and clean and re glue new beveled mirrors on and yes the edge will be mirror bevel just have to keep 1/8 clearance all around to keep from touching other mirrors vibration of two mirrors touching would be very bad indeed.This will be very slow process will custom cut and then have to be beveled at factory for each piece. Have to glue and let glue set and make sure does not move till glue is set four days .Been doing mirrors for 36 years.This will be tougher than first time seem like it took me two weeks last time and the mirrors were not bevelled. It takes about four days wait time for custom pieces. the original set did not have the front edges mirrored either.Also the side walls vibrating will be stiffened somewhat with mirror glued both inside and out, but they look pretty cool even broken. but I can't wait to get them re- finished . And man if you think there heavy now ???? about an extra 110lbs.

I'd imagine you could use glazier's cups to move them?

You would not want to use suction cups on fresh set mastic-glue it takes about a month for mastic to hard cure to be stable enough to lift. Otherwise you could get cut very badly if they turned loose and the mirror broke and cut you. and cut the cup ruining it .and dropping the speaker and then breaking a foot! Trust me it's no fun I've had shards-large pieces of broken glass, fall around me!

But after the mastic sets, wouldn't that be the best way to move them? I hear you about the dangers if broken glass. Sharpest knives in the world (for slicing super-thin specimins for electron microscopes) are made from just-cleved glass. It starts dulling right away due to surface tension (glas is a liquid, ya know).

You might want to put those speakers on casters just so they're safer and easier to move. There have been a few pairs of La Scalas shown on the forum with rollers under them.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of them. Just be sure you're wearing something when taking the photos, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

If you do put rollers under them, just be sure to support the side/back panels, not just the bottom. The joints between the bottom and vertical panels really aren't deisgned to take the shear load required to support the speaker. My LaScala's required major repairs in this area from a roller installation done by the previous owner.

• 2 weeks later...