Cornwall I pair, latest version for sale

EL34

I have a pair of oiled oak, Cornwall I loudspeakers with the risers for sale. They are in very nice condition and have only a few minor finish blemishes. I am going to buff those out and re-oil the cabinets unless someone can't wait for that. These seem to be somewhat rare as I read a lot of confused posts about various earlier versions of these. These are definately bone stock and I am obviously the first person to open the backs since they left Arkansas. I just inspected them, toof a couple of photos, tightened the connections and closed 'em back up. The cabinets appear to be 3/4" birch ply with the sides other than the back being veneered with real golden oak. The grills have been replaced with original Klipsch grills a few years ago so they look great.

They are '85 models, just before they discontinued them and started making the cheaper (quality anyway) Cornwall II models. These have the following drivers and parts in them:

K-33-E woofers, K-57-K squawker horns, K-77-M tweeters (these are labled just K-77, but they have the square magnets and are the latest versions before they went to the front mounted types.), Type B-3 crossovers with very nice film and foil caps. The components inside are super clean with all steniciling in place, no oxidation on anything. The squawker horn is phenolic and has ribbed gussets, so it probably doesn't even need to be dampened like the older metal ones or the ones on the LaScallas that would resonate. The x-overs are way nicer and better designed than either the older or the newer types so I got lucky there. They have three iron core chokes and one air core, one huge film and foil cap (no old motor starting stuff) and two smaller film types in phenolic epoxy cans. No real reason to upgrade anything although I thought initially about a bypass on the smaller caps, perhaps just for the HF unit. They sound fine as they are but I haven't really adopted them yet and thrown a bunch of amps and CD players, etc at them. Very well balanced and like the k-horns in a smaller package. These are actually very much just that as they use the same woofers and the mids and HF units are more efficient than the older versions, making this set about 101db/w/m even though they are still Cornwall I spec. This info came directly from Klipsch. They are warmer sounding and go deeper than Belles or LaScallas (which I don't care for - sorry) and don't have room boundry limitations like the k-horns as they are loaded with front slots at their base and don't need to see a korner (sic ;-) for their bass extension. They go down to 38hz but just don't play peaks quite as loud, as the k-horns have about another 2 or 3db on them.

I will take more photos when I get time but here is one of the open backs showing the components:

Cornwall I detailhttp://www.uptownaudio.com/images/corn2.jpg'>

I am still working on the price for these but I think they should sell for at least $800 at first glance (that is if I can bare to part with them!) I don't think I have room for them at my crib anyway but they are tempting as they are the only Klipsch speakers other than the k-horns that I have really liked in most situations and certainly my favorites of all of the years and models produced.

-Bill

Hmm, I don't think you're the first one in there. Looks like the

squawker and the crossover's been changed (unless this is some "one of"

experimental transition Cornwall). Yep, the motorboard is birch

ply (painted on the outside), but the rest of the box would be

lumber-core (as opposed to veneer core) oak plywood.

No, I am definately the first one in there. Like I said, there is a lot of confusion about the Cornwall as it was made for many years. Quite a few different versions were made and improvements were made all along the path. Some people like to think of the older AlNiCo drivers as being the best but they are not as free from coloration as the later ceramic drivers up to a point where economy starts to cut into quality. The quality reduction did not start until after the Cornwall I series was run and really began with the Cornwall II. The drivers actually might be seen as superior even though they appear to be slightly smaller as the newer materials allow for more efficient design, again with lower sonic coloration. What got really cheap was the cabinet construction and the crossovers. The Cornwall III actually may have the best HF driver as they use the better diaphragms while retaining the nice phenolic horn. Not too sure about the woofer though on Cornwall II and later as it does not seem to be the same one used in the k-horn. The K-33-E which is what is in this pair is still used in the top of the line Klipschorns today.

The mid squawker horns are definately stock and as I said, this is confirmed by Klipsch. The crossovers are also stock and have never even been removed. They have the original labels on them and everything is factory fresh. They do look upgraded because of the nice quality of the capacitors and both the quality and quantity of inductors is also nicer than most but this was what klipsch used in 1985 which was the very latest evolution of the Cornwalls before they were discontinued and repalced with the Cornwall II. The mid horns (squawkers) were upgraded to the more efficient K-57-K unit and as a result they also changed the B-3 crossover just a bit to suit it and create the most dynamic Cornwall ever. I especially liked to see them rid of the old motor run capacitors and was surprised to see the largest was a film and foil type. It would have made sense for them to have used a high quality cap like they have in these for the mid and highs for years prior as they are not so much more expensive, but the large cap really did cost them a bundle by comparison. I doubt that they made too many units in that last production run however so it probably didn't set them back too much really.

You are correct about the lumbercore being used for the oak veneered portions. The birch ply is obvious on the back panel and the baffle as well as for structural braces throughout but on closer inspection, the sides, top, and bottom, and I suppose the risers also as they are oak, are all lumbercore. It was hard to see clearly as the edges are painted.

I am 100% certain that these are stock. Rather than trying to second guess them, everyone here could use them as adding to the Klipsch knowledge base. I don't see any attempt to form a Cornwall production timeline which lists the various changes throughout the history. If anyone wants to take on that daunting task, they can use these as the starting point and work backwards! That would save a lot of confusion by having a table to point to as there is a lot of confusion as to which drivers were changed in which years and especially in the crossovers which changed in componentry even more often even when the basic design did not. These units do look exactly like the ones here on the outside except that the drivers are mounted on the inside as you can see from the actual photo that I took of the cabinet interior in my first post on this thread:

Cornwall I pair

After the last run of the Cornwall I, the cabinets were changed and they used MDF rather than ply and the back was no longer removable. They also changed the tweeter and the woofer and the x-over was seriously downgraded.

-Bill

Hi Bill,

Evidently there is a lot that is not known about the Cornwall. Perhaps it is most correct to say that there is a lot that is assumed. I have searched for info on these and found loads of misinformation and even bickering between forum members here about crossovers and horn versions, etc. Just because a few guys have never seen a unit with a particular configuration does not mean it isn't stock. No offense, but you are not the only guy reading the forum and I know that there are many more who do not share your knowledge. That post was for them ;-).

-Bill

Well Bill, some of your information is also incorrect -

I
have in my possession a pair of Cornwall 2's, not 1's, made from Birch
ply throughout, not MDF - Label Says CW2, composite mid-range horn,
externally mounted drivers, and all - made from birch PLY not MDF - of
course I also have a pair of CW 2's made from MDF but not *all* were
- oh, and as an edit, the label on my CW2's indicate that they were made in 1987!

I
don't think anyone would claim to know everything
about anything (at least not the wise), but believe it or not, some
of us have actual visual proof and experience, not supposition. As well
as the fact that once you own CW's or Heresys, or KHorns for that
matter, you tend to notice and see and research all of the different
configurations. I have personally inspected at least 12 pairs of
Cornwalls, inside and out since I bought my first, and while my
knowledge is limited with regard to historic models, I have a short
grasp on what the basic configurations were. Like my pair
however, yours might be completely different, that is possible- it just
seems unlikely. The general consensus is that Klipsch did make
mid model change speakers, to use up parts etc. But your
configuration is radically different than any I have seen before, that
crossover is something else entirely. Maybe some of our crossover
gurus can chime in here...

Further, in my
limited experience, I have never seen round caps like those in your
untouched crossovers, which is not necessarily a bad thing. If
someone *did* recap them, that is a good thing, not bad as the
originals were not optimal. However, on the point of your caps,
my opinion is totally *an opinion*.

K

I have in my possession a pair of Cornwall 2's, not ones, made form Birch ply throughout, not MDF - Label Says CW2, composite mid-range horn, externally mounted drivers, and all - made from birch PLY not MDF - of course I also have a pair of CW 2's made from MDF but not *all* were - oh, and as an edit, the label on my CW2's indicate that they were made in 1987!

OK, fair enough; I don't claim to know it all either. I can just clarify what my examples are like and have some insight as to why from various other units and from manufacturing experience myself. I don't have any trouble believing that Klipsch phased in various materials as supplies allowed for various models. Mine certainly prove that and support your findings as well. The only thing that I can be sure about from 20 years ago production is the specs. As we have seen, certain serial number models had various construction during that transitional period. The specs for Cornwall II's lists MDF and most were in fact, at least the front and back panels. I guess your back panel is not removeable or is it screwed on like the version I? They could have made it either way at that point although there was no need for it if they front mounted the drivers. It simply makes it more convenient to get in there as you would not have to remove the woofer to access the x-over. I imagine they could not have lined the cabinet as neatly either if they only had access via the woofer cutout. The Version I units had very nice batting and installation methods. Anything that got more labor intensive would have been reduced or eliminated as time went on.

-Bill

Bill, welcome to the Forum. I know someone who may be interested in these CW's. Would you mind posting the type and serial number of each speaker from the rear labels? Thanks!

Hi,

I know a LOT of people who may be interested ;-). Thanks for the welcome! Here is a composite photo of their labels:

Cornwall labels

Here is a closer look at the crossover in one of these units. Both are identical as these speakers are consecutive serial numbers. The drivers were produced in November of 1984 and the finished speakers left the assembly room in 1985 (my hunch is January but maybe someone else has a better guess). The large film and foil caps in these latest of B-3 x-overs are made by Aerovox, the same company that Klipsch bought their earlier oil filled caps used in the B and B-3 type x-overs from.

B-3 1985

The inside of that cabinet is identical to the 84 Cornwalls I sold one year ago. The B-3 network works well with those drivers. That was the last blast before the CW 2 came out.

Nice speaker.

jc

Yep, that big blue-ended cap really threw me into a tizzy. I could hardly sleep last night.

Seriously, it seems a new Cornwall variant shows up about once a month. Klipsch fanatic/collector/historian/bon vivant forum member Michael Colter recently became a Klipsch employee and I'm hoping in his spare time [;)], he can consult the record books (which do really exist) and sort some of this out.

Welcome to the forum, Bill!

Hi Johny,

Yes they are in Roanoke VA and I am listening to them as I type. I have them connected to the following system:

Rega Saturn CD player, Rogue Audio Perseus preamp, Rogue Audio Atlas power amp.

They sound pretty nice. A little brash in the Klipsch fashion but nothing that really bothers me. They have a slight amunt of noise with the tube power amp connected but not bad at all really. The noise floor is low enough that it sounds very crisp and dynamic at even low levels and has a decnt and appropriate amount of bass; awesome with pipe organ. I haven't really cranked it yet but I might here in a bit just to chase off any mice that may have found their way into the building after the sudden drop in temperature ;-).

Here is a photo of the set-up:

klipsch cornwalls

Hi Johny,

Yes they are in Roanoke VA and I am listening to them as I type. I have them connected to the following system:

Rega Saturn CD player, Rogue Audio Perseus preamp, Rogue Audio Atlas power amp.

They sound pretty nice. A little brash in the Klipsch fashion but nothing that really bothers me. They have a slight amunt of noise with the tube power amp connected but not bad at all really. The noise floor is low enough that it sounds very crisp and dynamic at even low levels and has a decnt and appropriate amount of bass; awesome with pipe organ. I haven't really cranked it yet but I might here in a bit just to chase off any mice that may have found their way into the building after the sudden drop in temperature ;-).

Here is a photo of the set-up:

klipsch cornwalls

Get some good gear drivin them and the brash will be no more.. 4 foot apart sure isn't going to help matters! after all they are not book shelf speakers.

Hey NOS,

You crack me up! Try again when you catch up. And hey, you haven't seen my bookshelves!

I also tried the Cornwalls with a smaller, solid state amp and of course it was cleaner when at idle and probably overall but it was even more Klipsch-like at that point. The tube amps do help to smooth the wrinkles and frequency extension is very good with the Rogue Audio amps so it doesn't get rolled off. Overall, they are what I had imagined. Almost made the cut for a take home trial but as I said earlier I don't really have room for them. Besides my "bookshelf" speakers sound better.

I have to say that they do integrate better than other Klipsch speakers and some Altecs that I have had in the past. Just barely too big for the digs, too brash (sorry but they are), and they just don't quite have the resolution as others that I have already. They certainly play louder, so if I need to make an anouncement across the parking lot to wake-up the entire mall, - no problemo. The Altecs that I had were the same way in that regard. I could kill small mammels at 50 yds with a Barry manilow CD (but then, why would I want to ? :-/).

-Bill