Joe's Khorns made it to Chicago

Chicago_Pete

Bill, I swapped in Deans crossovers from my 64's for the listening tests. Joe's Khorns came with the original crossovers.
You should buy these for an all Khorn home theater:)

...right after my Trust comes in and I get a bigger house...[;)]...dreaming again...still sweet!...wonder how your newer ones sound stock...compared to DeanG '64s...is it possible differences in the speakers make Dean's mods need a tweak???

Bill

Glad you asked:) When I first bought Deans Vcaps I already had ALK's in my 64's. The change was nice enough for me to sell the ALK's. I hooked up Joe's speakers with the stock crossovers and then swapped in the Vcaps the change was absolutely HUGE! So if anyone is on the fence about trying a pair, dont hesitate. Borrow some money, sell something, whatever, you will not regret it. I doubt they need tweaking, I just think these two speakers just sound different.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hey pete sorry to hear you dont like the new as much as the old, but you have all my blessings to try to get as much as you can for them (after all i sold them to get my dream and i have that now, so the sell did what i wanted it to)on another note i do have the dean G x-overs that i bought for those and they will be available to any buyer you may find for the k-horns i dont want to advertise them as dean is selling his again here on the forum but i will answer pm's or emails from you or your buyer

Joe

AAAAAAAAHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!! the old they ar'nt what i thought they would be......happens to me alot, sucks that we have to buy something and then figure out we like our older gear better.........(ought to be a law against this sort of thing, a disclaimer i only pay if i likes[H]).............i dont think you will have a problem unloading those if thats what you decide to do they are well above average when it comes to looks and condition at least a 9 on the old scale (IMHO), sucks that you ar'nt as happy as you wanted to be with the sound but if it is any consolation (IM VERY HAPPY WITH THE PRE YOUR MONEY BOUGHT[;)])

SOMEONE HELP PETE AND BUY THESE ALREADY

Joe

on another note i do have the dean G x-overs that i bought for those and they will be available to any buyer you may find for the k-horns i dont want to advertise them as dean is selling his again here on the forum

Joe, those are your networks, and you are absolutely free to sell them here without worrying about what I think!

I had to back up and read the last few pages to see what was going on.

The network in the 64's, though built by me -- is BEC's modified Type A, designed to work with his new replacement tweeter. Now Pete, those '64's better be sporting Bob's CTS-125. The design adds a low pass on the squawker section to start rolling it off at 4500Hz, and brings the tweeter in much sooner. This network was not designed to work with any of the stock Klipsch tweeters! So, when you moved this network into the new Klipschorns, well -- you get the picture. Now, if you move those tweeters into the new Klipschorns -- then you get a fair comparison.

The network Joe would like to unload is a nicely built set of ALK Jr's. I wish Pete would have ended up with them so we could get his impressions.

Dean,

I think Joe was being nice and not wanting to get into competition with you selling your crossovers...by the way Dean...what are you running in your K'Horns at this moment in time...speakers and crossoverswise...still trying to decide if mine have a blanket over them...[:P][;)]

Bill

It was nice of Joe to show that kind of consideration, but he doesn't need to. If I was worried about competition I wouldn't be building networks with hyped up, overpriced audiophile parts.:) Heck, my Type AA costs as much as an ALK now.

I run Al's Trachorns with JBL 2470 mid drivers and Beyma CP25 tweeters. I run slightly modified Type A's since my JBL's go out to 8kHz.

dean thanks for the consideration also............ i was in no hurry to sell as i will only be using the money to help fund my next project a pair of welbourne labs drd 300B's that i would have to build myself............( i figure if im gonna stay in this tube gear i need to learn a little more about it ) aand what better way to learn than a diy project

Joe