Thinking of getting a Sonic Impact T-amp

wuzzzer

I tried the Teac chip amp for about a month a while back. Overall pretty good sound, but a little too extended in the lows and highs for my tastes on the La Scalas - sounded like good CD sound, but I'm exclusively vinyl / tube / SET ). went back to my SETs.

They cost next to nothing and lots are curious about them. If you don't like them they are easy to sell to others wondering about the sound.

I was using a 200 wpc Citation 22 power amp to drive my SF-2s before I tried the T-amp a couple of days ago. So far I am very impressed! I notice brighter highs and clearer voices with the T-amp. There is not as much bass. However, the SF-2s tend to put out a lot of bass. I like how the T-amp makes them sound punchy without all the rumble I was getting when they were hooked up to my power amp.

With Klipsch and other efficient speakers, the T-amp will provide more than enough volume for most listening environments. You can also get a 12V 2.0A power adapter from the company Web site that
will save you from eating through 8 AA batteries every 30 hours.

I highly recommend buying one and testing it out. It's the best $30 I've spent in a long while.

I'm really curious as to how they sound. Anyone have any thoughts?

I'm running one off of my computer into ksb 1.1s and a Bose sub bass module and it sounds great (ok, I bought the Bose unit at a garage sale for $10). I was surprised and impressed when I hooked the cheap little plastic amp up to the Cornwalls too. It certainly not a waste of money.

The PWM amp listed below is an amp I built based on a Tripath chip similar to the one used in the Sonic Impact T-amp. I built the amp to drive the Forte-IIs I had at the time and thought the combination was great. I've tried the amp on a pair of KLF-30s .. also great. I built a small run of 10 amps and still have two. I use one to drive a pair of RB-5s I'm using as a center channel in an SACD 3.1 system. The amps also do well with my RF-7s.

The sound is close to any well designed amp that has low distortion at low power resulting in a smooth, natural sound on efficient speakers such as the Klipsch. It's a little rougher than my Crown D-45 or custom SETs, but not by much. I think they're a lot of fun, sound very good, and are a no brainer when it comes to cost.

Leo

The best way to find out how it sounds is to buy one. Since they're so cheap, there isn't a downside.

As far as sound quality goes, it may be one of the nicer amps that retail for $30. Almost anything that retails for more will sound better though.

The best way to find out how it sounds is to buy one. Since they're so cheap, there isn't a downside.

As far as sound quality goes, it may be one of the

nicer amps that retail for $30. Almost anything that retails for more

will sound better though.

I use one for my "Porta-Sound" set-up. Very impressed.

econolodgermbw7.jpg

I'll disagree with Parrot a little... you have to spend a LOT more than $30 to get better sound. Ten times? Twenty times?

But do spend three times more and get the deluxe version if you intend to use it for something other than travel.

As far as sound quality goes, it may be one of the nicer amps that retail for $30. Almost anything that retails for more will sound better though.

I bought 3 of them for less than $30 each. and got 3 Radio Shack 12v. 1 Amp AC adapter for them. I'm running one on Heresy's in the dining room and the other on Chorus II's at the studio. You will not find more crisp detail anywhere than the latter combination. I got the 3rd one as a spare and to lend to unbelievers!! DO IT!! It was made for Klipsch. Too bad PWK didn't live long enough to see, hear and test this amp. because it DOES fullfill his lifelong wish: "What the world needs is a good 5 Watt amplifier" but he would have imagined it would be this inexpensive.

One of my brothers bought one two years ago and tried it with his KG-3.5, and he was pleasantly surprised (so much so he later bought the Panasonic SA-XR10 digital AV receiver).

My other bro is now using the Sonic Impact powering tiny used Bose (look similar to the model 141 but even smaller) thru his bedroom PC. This Tripath amp makes even the tiny Bose sound good!

post-11084-13819321238506_thumb.jpg

Just wanted to ask you guys, there's no worrying about clipping with an amp this small?

That is always a good question.

Let me state that I have never listened to these, so take my comment accordingly.

There have been rave reviews about these amps. However, there were some distortion measures that have also been posted. I forget where (Google will get you there) but the measures seemed to be competently performed. In terms of distortion, the amps "looked" horrible. I certainly will not get caught in an argument about whether distortion can actually sound good.... But you might want to check that our first.

-Tom