Thinking of getting a Sonic Impact T-amp

wuzzzer

Just wanted to ask you guys, there's no worrying about clipping with an amp this small?

You bet, that's a concern.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/index.php/t-502106.html

As people point out in the link above, this amp should really be understood as a FIVE watter. Paul W. Klipsch recommended 20W as a MINIMUM for his high-efficiency Heritage speakers.

I'm really curious as to how they sound. Anyone have any thoughts?

The best way to find out how it sounds is to buy one. Since they're so cheap, there isn't a downside.

As far as sound quality goes, it may be one of the nicer amps that retail for $30. Almost anything that retails for more will sound better though.

I use one for my "Porta-Sound" set-up. Very impressed.

econolodgermbw7.jpg

I'll disagree with Parrot a little... you have to spend a LOT more than $30 to get better sound. Ten times? Twenty times?

But do spend three times more and get the deluxe version if you intend to use it for something other than travel.

So when you travel you actually carry alone two Heresys and a amp just for the hotel room?

The best way to find out how it sounds is to buy one. Since they're so cheap, there isn't a downside.

As far as sound quality goes, it may be one of the

nicer amps that retail for $30. Almost anything that retails for more

will sound better though.

econolodgermbw7.jpg

I'll disagree with Parrot a little... you have to spend a LOT more than $30 to get better sound. Ten times? Twenty times?

But do spend three times more and get the deluxe version if you intend to use it for something other than travel.

So when you travel you actually carry alone two Heresys and a amp just for the hotel room?

It doubles as a car stereo.

p6160001kv1.jpg

Spend a few extra bucks and get a Teac AL700P. About $100 in the used market. Or pick up a Panasonic SA XR 25, 45, 50, 70 etc. Great soundign digital receiver for almost nothing.

I have the Teac and the SI, and I like the sound of the SI better. I did an A/B between the two amps with about eight serious audio guys present (using Cornwall II's), and we all liked the SI better. I really was surprised at the results of this informal test, but to me the Teac sounded somewhat sterile and lifeless compared to the SI..

The SI doesn't have the power of the Teac, and the SI sounds terrible if you try to push it too hard. The Teac will give more volume with better bass, so I guess in the end it is a trade-off. BTW, the Teac does not run on batteries, so the SI is a MUCH better portable amp [Y]

The little T amp is O.K., but the upscale Super-T is a lot better. I left it in all summer because the room was too warm to run tubes, and I never felt like I was getting cheated in the good sound department. Hypex sounds good too, but not the same. A little warmer and not as open in the midrange, but at 90 watts per module can light up a room in a way the Super-T can't touch.

The Panasonics look interesting. I want to try one with another set of Old Advents I'm in the middle of restoring.

I posted plots and links of measured distortion on Tripath a couple of months ago, the distortion in question is pushed far beyond the limits of audibility.

"Beyond" meaning above or below? I missed that discussion. I can guess, but what good would that do me?

• Moderators

As far as sound quality goes, it may be one of the nicer amps that retail for $30. Almost anything that retails for more will sound better though.

econolodgermbw7.jpg

p6160001kv1.jpg

Hey that was your car? I stood there for 10 minutes listening at the pilgrimage, it was playing out by the driveway ! It sounded GREAT, better than ANY car speakers I had ever heard. It sounded so good I went and found my wife and made her come listen. wow

p6160001kv1.jpg

Hey that was your car? I stood there for 10 minutes listening at the pilgrimage, it was playing out by the driveway ! It sounded GREAT, better than ANY car speakers I had ever heard. It sounded so good I went and found my wife and made her come listen. wow

Yep, my car and amp, but the Heresys belong to my son-in-law who came with me. I thought it would be cool to bring his speakers on a home-coming weekend. ;-)

And they really did sound nice in the backseat!