What's your favorite beer?

ibanezhater

"Saying that crap like Bud or Miller (which cannot even be sold as beer in germany) are beers for "regular guys" is an insult to all us "regular guys.""

If you were a regular guy you'd call yourself Jimmy instead of James.

And yes, the California Wine Country, that hotbed of regular guyism.

In any event by trying to define what is "real" beer and what isn't and by extolling hard to find and exotic wares you act exactly the kind of beer snob I described.

Funny too that most of the German, Polish and Bohemian immigrants I've known in Chicago drank regular American beer, I've spent many hours in dark taverns drinking with such folks. How about the throngs of German, Bohemian and Polish immigrants out there in the Wine Country? Zimne Piwo signs seen often out there?

Of course a guy can drink green bottle beer and be a regular guy, if one just takes it for granted and goes about his drinking business without bum-rapping the taste of others. I know a couple of Local 1 Boilermakers, South Side Irish guys with impeccable working-class pedigrees who drink Heinikens and Becks. But they can also kick back and enjoy a Bud at a White Sox game.

Like this Sox fan Tom?

post-17373-13819321374892_thumb.jpg

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think how it started for many of my high school buddies was when we started our Friday night hyman mashing missions we always started with our own six pack of shooters and mine was Colt 45's[:o] You know, grab can in left hand, flip over and punch the can opener hole, cover hole with lips, turn upright and pop that tab, repeat these steps 5 more times and then jump up real fast to make sure mid drift bulge proceeds to your feet and your ready to go[:D]

Very juvenile but the worst part about this story is I now have 2 dead buddies from being drunks and three others working their way there[:(] I grew up in Texas and we drank Lone Star, if you can drink this stuff you can drink ANYTHING!

As for being a beer snob Tom I just took a liking to German beers which led to other fine beers but I will tell you this, most of the Germans I knew over there loved Schlitz more than their own brews so go figure!

Kaiser----Yeah, we used to drink quarts when we were kids, hanging on the corner of Madison and Central on the West Side. I used to go into a tavern on Madison called the Irish-American Club and get served when I was 16. The guys in there were from the west of Ireland; Mayo, Sligo and Galway and since old Tim my grandpa was from Kiltimagh I was OK.

My cousin Francie almost got his head knocked off in there because he was from Armagh in the northeast. Oh, Francie was a character; smart as a whip and good lookin' as the Devil and a constant skirt chaser. Went to Cubs and Sox games and hung with the other gamblers betting on balls and strikes, he wasn't in the USA six months and he could handicap every sport.

Flannel you're living proof that all Cubs fans aren't yuppie poofters.

God bless ya.

Say how about this Cubs fan?

Tom,

I was there, and actually what was much more costly, was during that same 8th. inning (just after Steve Bartman) Alex Gonzalez dropped a routine double-play ball that would have ended that inning with the score 3-1 in favor of the Cubs. After the Gonzalez error the Marlins scored 7 runs, this with the Cubs just 5 outs from the World Series. But thanks anyway for ruining my day Tom.

- Jim

Stone Cellar IPA

Stone Cellar English Ale

Stone Cellar Between the Locks

Stone Cellar Stout

Stone Cellar Porter

anything that is from Stone Cellar (Appleton, Wisconsin)

or Micro Brewed.

Point Special Lager

Leinekugel Original

anything that is from the state of Wisconsin that is not mass

produced beer (e.g Miller).

Oh! Anything that is imported too.

As I understand it, Oregon has more brew pubs per capita than any other state. I think the climate is real good for growing hops--moderate temperatures, lots of fog and rain--kind of like England! I moved out here 14 years ago and it has totally skewed my perspective on beer. I like lotsa hops = lotsa IPA (India Pale Ale).

Some good ones (not specifically from Oregon):

Bridgeport IPA

Stone Brewing Arrogant Bast*rd IPA

Anderson Valley IPA

Fish Tale IPA

Beer is good,

triceratops

Eugene, Oregon