What's your favorite beer?

ibanezhater

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TBrennan:

"If you were a regular guy you'd call yourself Jimmy instead of James.

And yes, the California Wine Country, that hotbed of regular guyism.

In any event by trying to define what is "real" beer and what isn't
and by extolling hard to find and exotic wares you act exactly the kind
of beer snob I described."

First, I call myself James because it's my name. I guess if you were a "regular guy" you'd have to call yourself bubba.

Second, here in California Wine Country many of us "regular guys" even work on our own Porsches.

Last, under the Reinheitsgebot (literally "purity requirement"), the only ingredients allowed in beer are barley, hops, yeast and water. Since most of the mass produced American "beers" such as Bud, Miller, and Coors are made, primarily, from corn - they do not qualify as beer.

JAMES

German beers are very good because of their long tradition and their Reinheitsgebot, which dates to 1516, IIRC. The US once had a thriving and diverse beer industry but another kind of law (prohibition) wiped it out. The US is beginning to see a resurgence with small local efforts as well as quality regional firms like Shiner. These are started by "regular guys" who love beer and we are all better off for it (at least us beer lovers are). Miller does stretch their barley with corn, Budweiser stretches with rice. It's right there on their labels. Therefore they don't qualify as beer in Germany.

All this weird beer, hardly any regular guys who just want to knock back a few "cold ones" or have a chaser with a shot of VO.

All this bullshit started with vain, self-important Baby Boomers who can't even enjoy a simple working man's brew without turning it into an opprotunity to show how different and refined, how much better than the common herd, they are.

People who wear bluejeans and chambray faux work shirts to office jobs. But don't forget the tie, without the tie someone might think you need to wear jeans and a chambray shirt to work for their practical function. Gotta keep that little distinction, that subtle remeinder that one is actually still one of the "right" people.

Tom,

You are an absolute piece of work! You're really starting to grow on me though!

Hazed and infused~Boulder Brewing Co. The hoppiest beer that I have ever tasted!!

If you like a hop heavy brew, try some Rogue Ales...

Rogue is another of those cool Oregon-based brewing companies--I think they're in Newport.

Speaking of Oregon, most folks have probably seen the Oregon Beer Company label--this always puzzled me because I had never heard of this brewery. It is actually a fake brewery label created by Jim Koch of Sam Adams to mooch off the good reputation of Oregon brewers.