What should I get?

Im looking to buy a good quality stereo receiver and pair of speakers for around $600. My priority is performance above all so I dont mind looking around for a deal on a used or discontinued product. So far Ive done some research and right now Im looking at the Denon DRA-395 and Harmon and Kardon HK3480, both of which Ive found for around $300. For speakers, the Klipsch KSF 10.5s seem to be a good bet. Any input or suggestions? Thanks.

To fit that budget, if patience allows, I'd find a Harman/Kardon 430, 730 or 930 Twin Powered receiver. They can commonly be found under $100 shipped and are very nice sounding with a competent phono stage if that's a factor. That leaves $500 for speakers. I'm not at all familiar with the KSF series. Cornwalls would be a good find for that kind of money, but they'd most likely be rough looking.

I'd suggest two things. First, put some limits on your question. Size, vintage, listening preferences such as levels and musical styles. Number and type of sources? Second, list your general location. Folks here tend to be very helpful in pointing out local finds.

Good luck!

"I'd suggest two things. First, put some limits on your question.
Size, vintage, listening preferences such as levels and musical
styles. Number and type of sources? Second, list your general
location."

Size: Floorstanding
Vintage: Dont care, as long as they sound good
Levels: Loud?[;)]
Musical Style: Hip Hop, Rock, RnB and a little of everything else.
Sources: Computer and CD/DVD Player(no movies, just music)

Thanks for the help!

Welcome to the forum. Check out Audiogon.com for Klipsch; seems there were a set of cornwall's in your area for a good price. And as it was stated the HK line of twin powered receivers are just great with them. The 430 puts out 25 watts per channel; but thru the Cornwalls I can only turn the volume up half way any more than that and it hurts. Good luck Bill

"Location: Bay Area, CA"

Craigslist in the Bay Area has been prime hunting ground for Klipsch Heritage and lots of opportunities to audition! My brother picked up a very nice pair of black Fortes in San Fran for a good price. He likes them and you will, too.

Larry

• Moderators

Find yourself a pair of Klipsch speakers..... Heresy, Forte, Cornwalls. Build your system around your speakers and keep smiling!

Good advice, and 25 WPC don't sound like much but with those speakers it is enough to get loud, with a great sound .

I did not think 25 watts would get to the level of being loud enough to hurt my ears but with all of the prase the guys were giving the HK 430, 730, 930 line I had to find out for myself. I bought a 430 and was amazed at the sound level coming out of the cornwalls. I was so pleased with the sound that I bought a 730 twin which is 40 watts per channel; I can only turn the volume knob half way on either unit with out it hurting my ears. The bass hits you right in the chest and shakes the floor. Go and check out some cornwall's for yourself you will be amazed. Bill