ICE BUILD-UP QUESTION FOR YOU YANKEE

Gilbert

First off, anyone that lives North of Dallas is technically a yankee to us native Texans. Sorry if you yanks take offence to the word.

Anyhooo, I have a question for you guys that know how to deal with this freaking G*#! D?&!M ice build up. How in the F*&%$ing H$#L do you get rid of it? I want to use a product that does not contain sulfates, or clorides (as in salt based products), because I'm going to be using it on my driveway, and sidewalks.

One more thing, I guess I'll need something that won't kill the grass or plants too, because then I'll have to take a frying pan to the head, from my loving wife.[;)]

This Sucks,.... everything here is covered in ice. I walk out side, and I can hear the tree's crying in pain. Ice build-up's as much as 3 inches+ have been reported in the areas east of us, so I guess I'm relatively lucky. Minimal power losses have occured in the Broken Arrow area where I live, but other parts of the state were not as lucky. I hear the Missouri boys have declared a state of emergency. God help'em, this sucks.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

While not as effective, sand is an option.

One of the principles behind the use of salt, is that once the ice melts and mixes with the salt, the now salted water is harder to re-freeze since salt water has a lower freezing point than fresh water.

Try Calcium Cholride if you are using it on cement................Never use rock salt on cement..............It's just as bad here in the REAL NORTH for us YANKEES............Ah Yes, Mother Nature..............the most unpredictable force in the World.............I'd rather have snow............

Sunshine and temperatures above 32 degrees work best for ice removal. There is no magic chemical or treatment. It will go away on its own.

Damn southerner's whining about a little ice - geeez. Get over it!

Try living with it for month's on end, the front of my car looks like Jaws with all the huge icicles hanging from it. A warm -8 this morning but it's sunny and 4 degrees right now great weather for a yankee suntan. I had to chisel into my car yesterday morning it was in an ice cocoon, crank up the system to remove excess snow and ice from trunk lid.

Thank god for my Hakkapelita snow tires! Just a couple weeks ago it was 60 degrees up here which is downright amazing for January.

• Moderators

Well I guess whining about 35 last night and 47 today is out of the question !

Believe it or not we were hoping to get some snow, it happened about 15 years ago. That 1'' almost shut down New Orleans, really, don't laugh, it's true.

• Moderators

When your neighborhood looks like this then you can whine.

Come on, Frzninvt, everything is relative. I think Gilbert is entitled to the whining! Heaven knows I do it in mid-August when it's a measley 95 degrees here.

As far as ice melter, there are a lot of products on the market that claim to be environmentally friendly and non-toxic. Good luck finding any locally, though! Or you can do what most of us here do...step carefully, wait for the sun, have the scraper handy, and load up with bags of sand in your trunk.

Good luck to you!!

Amy,

Gilbert is my brother in law and he knows that I am just messing with him. Areas like his that aren't used to these conditions get stymied since they don't have the proper equipment and vehicles to deal with it.

He and I have drank a beer in the middle of March in the middle of a frozen river in my backyard before not something you get to do everyday. You cannot imagine a lake the size of Lake Champlain completely freezing over but it does on occasion. I have no complaints we are having one of the mildest winters on record up here and this is our first real snow, ice and bitter cold temperatures up here. A week and a half ago I was in a short sleeve shirt grilling on my porch.

normally, i'd offer another option--moving to southern california; however, this past week hasn't been too warm here either. when i was in the coast guard, i was on an ice-breaking ship, so despite my current locale, i've experienced some bitter cold.

hang in there.

Snow in Texas, ice in Sothern California. Thank God for global warming!

Rick

What the olg guy said about ice melting. Calcium cloride is the chemical the states use near reservoirs and other water sources because of it's benign nature. And, it's kind to concrete.

Ashes from the fireplace spread out helps to absorb more solar energy as it is darker. The ashes also prevent some slipping.

Rick

What the olg guy said about ice melting. Calcium cloride is the chemical the states use near reservoirs and other water sources because of it's benign nature. And, it's kind to concrete.

Ashes from the fireplace spread out helps to absorb more solar energy as it is darker. The ashes also prevent some slipping.

Rick

potassium chloride also but that is also the key ingredient in the lethal injection though [;)]

sodium chloride does craziness to anything.