How far apart are your K--Horns?

DoubleJ

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23 x 15 room, on the 23 foot wall, so I sit back 11 feet for a perfect sweet spot

A friend was over a couple weeks back- I sat her in my fave chair- she looked amazed, then pointed to the blank wall directly in front of her 'it sounds like the music is coming from there!' - EXACTLY!

24 feet corner to corner in a 2 channel set-up. The furthest back I can sit in the room is 13 feet, probably not perfect, but I'm not gonna knock down a wall... yet. Took this picture tonight with a 18 - 55 digital lens. I had to stand in the next room and shoot through the doorway, the fill flash can't quite cut it.

- Jim

post-17373-13819321593244_thumb.jpg

hey JJ, i didn't use any center between my k-horns for years because my klipsch dealer told me i didn't need one. my first center was a rc -3, next came a heresy, next came a vertical corn, and when i used a lascala my kids said WOW. in the next 2 weeks i will be putting in a belle for my center and letting 5 of my speakers go to my son who just bought a new house. lascalas for the front, a belle or a vertical for the center and a pair of heresys for the rear.

Russ, congrats on getting a center Belle for your Khorns. I usually only use mine for 5.1 and movies, but it is nice to have it available for two-channel, if I want. Also, great of you to pay all of that Klipsch forward to your son and congrats on his new house.

Interesting about what your Klipsch dealer told you about not needing a center in between Khorns. Back when I ran three Belles across the front - and before I went to Trachorns, I also thought that a center Belle really, really helped fill in a void in a center. After I went to Trachorns, however, and added upgraded tweeters (to baby cheeks style), I have found that I simply do not miss (or want to) use the center Belle anymore. Maybe its the way different horns lauch differently into the room. A Belle is the best choice of a center though, so you've hit a home run. Again, congrats.

Carl.

Wall corner to wall corner equals 27 feet.

Room size equals 27 feet by 19 feet 6 inches.

I sit right at the apex of an isosceles triangle (i.e. 13 feet and six inches from the 27 foot wall; or 19 feet from each corner as measured on the 45 degree angle).

Two Khorns with a La Scala smack dab in the middle (the center channel signal is created via one of JuicyMusic's [Mark Deneen] mini-boxes).

Since I only have two Moondog amps, when I want to listen to them I use only the Khorn's.

Since I have three MC 30's, when I want to listen to them I use the center channel.

NOTE: I am looking for another Moondog. But I'll probably have to buy a pair since I have never seen only one for sale. Hint hint. If anyone else that has a pair of Moondogs is interested in acquiring a 3rd one for their center channel, I'd be more than happy to go in "half-ies" with you on purchasing a pair that we could split. Either that, or I'll just have to build one from scratch....

Therefore I guess you could say I have a 2-channel and a 3-channel system. I use the SET system mainly when listening to classical, jazz, or music that focuses on the vocals of a particular singer/songwriter. I switch to the MAC's when I listen to rock or blues or country. I also have two La Scalas on the opposite side of the room connected to the television system. If I ever figure out which multi-channel receiver to buy, I'll configure a 5-channel system for watching movies (2 Khorns and 3 La Scalas).

Room is 24x18. They are 24' apart. I can only get back about 14' from front wall. Just a tad shy of what I think I really need, but it works. I have a center channel ch. rigged up that I use for some music.

Edit: I think if it was about 22x18 it woulf be perfect.

Mark by my calculation you need to be 12' back so more than 14 would not be adviseable.

Michael, while it is laudible, try to reign in use of your "sweet spot calculator" of distance between speakers/2 formula. Most all of us have working stereo algorithm computers(our ears,) and the sweet spot actually is sensed at distances ranging between 35% to 80% of the between spread, depending on speaker directivity, off axis response, room nodes, diffraction, and listening skills.

While I won't posit against a true sweet spot, we all have a marked ability to backfill and correct what we hear without any conscious effort, as long as it is not grossly time- or distance-distorted. I have a very broad and shallow near field listening room, while Carl's is more optimal for classic physical dimensions, yet both rooms yield satisfying results. My near field is actually better at some listening requirements, as I can hear more detail with a lower power envelope. Using the classic distance/2 formula, I don't even have a sweet spot in the room, but more than a few can testify to their positive experiences.

LarryC: I was way-off on my estimate on how far apart your K-Horns are. I was thinking about 10 feet.

Your guess was almost exactly right, and I sure hit the wrong key when I typed that -- it's only 11' from corner to corner. How did I do that?

Larry

mine are in corners on a 23.5' wall, I sit 12' back against the botom

of a staircase so there's no real wall right behind me. I

perceived a hole in the middle so built a Belle in matching mahogany.

Good now. Imaging good with HF-81, better with Scott 222-C and

TEAC chip amp. The TEAC has a center output channel with

it's own volume control, so it's easy to work with.

Mine are 21 feet apart, with a Belle in the center.

Colt, I believe you should be sitting 14 feet back..the manual that came with my KHorns says optimum seating is distance apart X .618 equals distance back..I even sent a copy of that manual to Bob Gassel at Klipsch..

Regards

Steve

Thanks again everyone!!!

The information has been very helpful and greatly appreciated.

I didn't realize that so many people are utilizing a 3rd channel with their K-Horns. I know the theory and the "How To" has been discussed many times but just didn't phantom that it was utilized as much as I thought.

Steve: Thanks for sharing the distance formula from the K-Horn manual. I will be nice and not ask how what went into to creating that factor. [8-)]

JJ

Michael, while it is laudible, try to reign in use of your "sweet spot calculator" of distance between speakers/2 formula. Most all of us have working stereo algorithm computers(our ears,) and the sweet spot actually is sensed at distances ranging between 35% to 80% of the between spread, depending on speaker directivity, off axis response, room nodes, diffraction, and listening skills.

While I won't posit against a true sweet spot, we all have a marked ability to backfill and correct what we hear without any conscious effort, as long as it is not grossly time- or distance-distorted. I have a very broad and shallow near field listening room, while Carl's is more optimal for classic physical dimensions, yet both rooms yield satisfying results. My near field is actually better at some listening requirements, as I can hear more detail with a lower power envelope. Using the classic distance/2 formula, I don't even have a sweet spot in the room, but more than a few can testify to their positive experiences.

Agreed, just that I have been in some Khorn rooms where my ears would have me sitting on the front edge of the coffee table some 6 feet in front of the 'listening position' prescribed by the furniture layout. But then lots of folks have Home Theatres with the sofa on the back wall- tough to get a rear surround in there....

I think it is time for a summary of the results thus far: (1/25/2007 12:CST)

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Total number of entries: 21

Total number of people that mentioned using a center channel: 8

Speaker of Choice for the Center channel: Belle 5 Cornwall-2 La Scala-1

Longest Distance: 30feetJackpod Shortest Distance: 1foot (Tgourlie doesn't have his hooked up as of yet) LarryC--11feet

Farthest Listening position: 24 feetJackpod Shortest: 7 feetDoubleJ

I haven't figured out a good way to tally the distance between

the K-Horns, but using Steve's factor of .618, most everyone is with in

plus/minus 1-2 feet of that calculation. (Jackpod and RFP are outside the Bell curve)[;)]

Thanks!!!

JJ

edited to clarify the Longest/Shortest distance Award...JJ

Larry:

That is correct..TGOURLIE has his 1 ft apart..That is because he doesn't have them hooked up yet. [;)].. I forgot to add a side note stating that.

I agree with you in regards to the sweet spot. It isn't always easy finding suitable corners that also gives you the 'preceived' optimal seating position.

JJ

My K-horns are also 24 ft corner to corner. I have about 15 feet of blow-by behind my listening position and I am 14 feet in front of the speakers. I think that the blow-by makes a huge differance. How much room behind the listening position does everyone have? _p