20 Greatest Guitar Solos Ever, with Video

Parrot

Johhny Ramone needs credit too for being a great guitar player who DIDN'T like solos, there's alot to be said for relentlessly banging those chords out. His playing on "I Wanted Everything" is like a buzzsaw cutting your head in half, very effective. He had a HUGE live sound, sounded alot like Leslie West not that he played anything like West.

Can't you get this sound on anything and everything if you play it through La Scalas?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The solo in "Louie Louie" by the Kingsmen is very good.

I like "Walk Don't Run" and most of the Surf instrumentals too.

Johhny Ramone needs credit too for being a great guitar player who DIDN'T like solos, there's alot to be said for relentlessly banging those chords out. His playing on "I Wanted Everything" is like a buzzsaw cutting your head in half, very effective. He had a HUGE live sound, sounded alot like Leslie West not that he played anything like West.

I saw Martha and the Vandellas at a hot-rod show in, what, 1964 or 65.

OH OH, your showing your age................."Louie Louie", yeah man, how many thousands of times did you play that? Great simple song....The Kingsmen.....................ranks right up there along with "96 tears"...? and the mysterians..................."Walk Don't Run" so much better than that awful "Wipe Out" song....................EH.............THE RAMONES...high energy,balls to the wall,rock and roll, no song over 2 minutes long, and flat out,all the time............unheard of at the time............Punks forefathers............................Leslie West,300+ pounds (at that time)big, full ,larger than life sound, Mountain...great loud rowdy band.................TB, thanks man it is fun rembering those simple days of our lifes........Maybe this thread wasn't such a bad idea................Alvin Lee, Ritchie Blackmore, Mike Bloomfield,Steve Vai,Steve Gaines................so many great ones, it's almost unfair to rank them in any order, isn't it ???? THANK YOU LEO FENDER, and LES PAUL................................

Just watched more of it.............................SWEET JANE Hunter/Wagner...........Where is the DUAL LEAD GUITARS on that song, these video's are not accurate....................Sweet Jane off the Rock and Roll Animal CD is DUAL LEAD GUITAR's ................ these so-called EXPERTS are not only deaf, they must be blind,too.....................Now I understand why Chuck Berry is top 20........so much for this poll................EH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Watching that Lou Reed clip, I knew I'd heard the name Prakash John and Hunter/Wagner- those bowry boys went from Lou Reed to part of Alice Cooper's legendary team of madmen...

"After relocating to New York and forming a new outfit, Ursa Major, the
group was introduced to Ezrin, who handled the production chores on
their 1972 self-titled release. Although the group would break up
shortly thereafter, Ezrin and Wagner had struck up a friendship, as he
began inviting him (as well as another guitarist, Steve Hunter), to
play on sessions by other artists he was working with. Wagner and
Hunter's playing meshed well together as the duo was able to construct
seamless guitar lines that complimented each other nicely. Ezrin used
the duo on Lou Reed's controversial 1973 studio release Berlin
(a dark
concept album that followed a pair of seedy characters beset by drug
addiction, which leads to spousal abuse, prostitution, child welfare,
and ultimately, death).

Seeking to lighten the mood a bit on the album's ensuing tour, Ezrin
aided Reed in assembling a stellar touring band including both Wagner
and Hunter, who helped reconstruct Reed's tunes (including classics
from his Velvet Underground days) as jamming arena rockers, as
evidenced by a pair of subsequent live releases, 1974's classic Rock N
Roll Animal and 1975's Lou Reed Live. Wagner and Hunter then signed on
as guitarists for Alice Cooper's solo group
(Cooper had just split from
the original Alice Cooper Band), while Wagner also served as a
songwriting collaborator with Cooper for his hit 1975 release Welcome
to My Nightmare. The album spawned a hit power ballad with "Only Women
Bleed," a tune which Wagner had penned back in the late '60s, and has
subsequently covered by numerous artists over the years, including Etta
James, Tina Turner, and Lita Ford, among others.

The Wagner/Cooper union lasted for several other albums in the mid- to
late '70s, including Goes to Hell, The Alice Cooper Show, Lace and
Whiskey, and From the Inside, while Wagner continued to lend his
talents to recordings by other artists:"

Mike, if you don't already have it, many people just hate Lou Reed, you should get ahold of "Rock and Roll Animal", not for Lou, but to hear that band kick it out. That is a GREAT Rock Band...........Dual Lead Guitars that are one minute are sweet, and the next minute are Chainsaws, Parakish John on a Rickenbacker Bass, like Deep Purple always used, and rock solid drumming................"Standin' on the corner, suitcase in my hand" INDEED...............SWEET JANE...............................EH............God, I love this 70's stuff.................

(This was a great video). The point,however, was an opinion of the 20 most "enjoyable" guitar performances, as noted by guitarists. This forum is always based on opinions. Someone writes in for an amp recommendation, speaker recommendation, etc., we are all giving opinions. We all have our top 20. Can we all agree on on a top rock album(classical,jazz,etc.). This is what makes us different than other mammals on the planet, our individuality. Take a look at the thread of the most beautiful girl(woman) in the world. You want to see " individuality". Enjoy!

I assume you're gently pulling my chain, Tom. But just be sure, I'll elaborate.

Wes Montgomery, Herb Ellis, Joe Pass (a few preeminent jazzers, each of whom has, or had, more musical sense in their little finger than the bunch of 20 have in their collective array of effects pedals & Marshall stacks.

The same is true of the classical masters I listed who are really just a sample of a number of superlative musicians expressing in that genre.

I suppose I should have included Tony Rice as yet another master in another genre.