20 Greatest Guitar Solos Ever, with Video

Parrot

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NOT EVEN CLOSE.....................Just one man's opinion, he's entitled to it..............Chuck Berry, what a laugh, liked his songs, but top 20 Guitarist, that's the best laugh I've had all day...................NO Jeff Beck.......NO Santana.............Oh my, this will be interesting.....Leave it to the PARROT, your the best BUD.........................snicker, snicker, snicker..........................

Read how they were ranked.....the criteria wasn't best guitar player. Criteria included how well the video was made and stuff like that.

BTW: Chuck Berry is not in the top 100 best well known guitar players IMHO. Fun to watch and listen to though....and I like him.

Nothing by Scotty Moore, James Burton, Steve Cropper or George Harrison?

I think this fella has a rather narrow view of rock and roll guitar playing. Well he did include Berry, a man who helped write the basic vocabulary of the form.

Two of my favorites are very short an to the point, the solos in "Sweet Hitch Hiker" by CCR and "EMI" by the Sex Pistols. The best work isn't aways by the musicians with the best chops, not in rock and roll. Ya gotta have heart.

I'm no big fan of Rock and Roll--haven't really listened to Rock since the late 1970's with any interest at all, but I gotta tell you that Chuck Berry is the man who invented the language with which most of these guys leanerd to "speak," rolling R&B and blues piano chords played loud on the electric guitar.

Chuck Berry certainly has to be on ANY list of important rock guitar players--right near the very top.

Would anyone consider Stevie Ray Vaughn? I do believe that a great many guitarists were influenced or attempted to emulate Chuck Berry, so I wouldn't even consider disputing that statement. There were also some very good Country/Western stars that were awesom instrumentalists too....Roy Clark, and one other famous individual that I can't remember at this moment. (Memory ain't what it used to be)

At least SRV got an honorable mention, and granted the list does contain a great many accomplished artists, but also some left off the list IMO. I suppose some of these artists I have in mind never generated an A/V disc

Read how they were ranked.....the criteria wasn't best guitar player. Criteria included how well the video was made and stuff like that.

No, the list was made first strictly by audio. Then these guys found the best video of that song's performance by the artist.

O.K., it makes more sense now.

I hear ya Allan, and yeah, Stevie 'belongs'.

Pat Travers anyone? Robin Trower, Joe Perry, Tommy Shaw, Rick Derringer, Steve Howe, Adrian Belew -- these guys did things where you still had goose bumps the day after you saw them.

Stevie Ray is north central Texas r&b. One of my favorites of all time, I can feel the local roots in my veins when I hear him, but not exactly rock if you get my drift. I just happened to meet and shake hands with Chuck Berry last week. He is one great guy and a true legend and innovator, my mom grew up when he was in his heyday, no one ever had anything bad to say about him.

Pat Travers anyone? Robin Trower, Joe Perry, Tommy Shaw, Rick Derringer, Steve Howe, Adrian Belew -- these guys did things where you still had goose bumps the day after you saw them.

Thanks for the new avatar Dean, much easier on the eyes. Thanks for this thread. I knew we were overdue:http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/permalink/860934/859638/ShowThread.aspx#859638

Chet Atkins and Les Paul are chopped liver ? Chuck Berry was important because of his style, but there is no way he could have a top 20 Guitar solo. Duane Eddy,....................oh gee, everyone has their opinions, right or wrong.............That's the best list I ever saw....LESLIE WEST.........Joe Satriani.........."It's Only Rock and Roll"..........................EH !!!!!!!!!!

Yep,Was Johnny Winter on the list? There is no best guitar player list that can't include Johnny.Rory Gallagher,Angus Young,Neil Young,Duane Allman,Dicky,Mark Farner,Steve Marriot,Tommy Bolin,Joe Satriani,Ace Frehley,Frank Zappa,Toy Caldwell,Peter Framton,Roy Buchanon,Ted Nugent,Zakk Wilde etc.........Any of these beats most on "the list".Keith Richards,again,lol.I like Keith but......

Regardless of the criteria, regardless of any one man's opinion, Chuck Berry would have to be there at number #. Rock and Roll guitar playing could not, would not, be what it is today without him. All of us as guitarist's have a direct descendency to him. The wrong "King" was crowned.

I think that when a fella can't dig Chuck Berry he's in danger of losing the spirit of rock and roll, in danger of getting too refined.

But I like it simple--simple bass, simple drums, simple piano, simple guitar----you know, rock and roll.

Listenin' to Fats Domino now---no lead guitar.