What was Klipsch/Magnolia thinking.

bismarck

If anyone can explain the logic that Klipsch or Magnolia used in selecting which speakers to carry, then please explain it to me.

They carry the following: RF-82, RF-62, RB-61, RC-52, RS-42, RW-12d, RW-10d as far as HT is concerned.

They carry the entire RB-61 system, but only the suggested sub for the RF-62 system and none of the suggested components for the RF-82 system. I was set on buying the RF-62 system with the RC-52, RS-42 and RW-12d, but I have been reading that the RF-82's would be well worth the money to step up to. I would really like to pickup some RF-82's, which I can only come close to affording because of employee discount, but nothing else matches. Would timbre matching be bad from the 82's to the 52 and why do they have such a limited selection?

I think it was done for the sake of the dealer network - by putting the entire Reference lineup in the Magnolia store, it's going to decrease the image of the speakers in dedicated boutiques. But in the same regard, Klipsch had to put something better than the Synergy line in the Magnolia room because the Synergy line doesn't cut it for aesthetics (even though the synergy outperforms everything in that room). If the timbre matching issues of the RC-52 was significant enough, then I think Klipsch would have pushed very hard to provide a better center channel.

Btw, if you can barely swing the funds for the RF-82's, then wouldn't an RC-62 be outta your price range anyway?

I ended up having to order my RC62 out of Best Buy, which kind of sucked as I purchased basically everything else there. The financing offer available (no Interest until Jan 2010) is tough to pass up. In the end, the RB61 is a great rear speaker and the pricing was fantastic I ended up with: RF82s at 402/each and RB61 for $318. I also picked up the Rw-10d for $410. Oh, and I do not work for best buy :) It was some negotiating in getting 15 percent off MSRP (which became sale prices which I got credited back $65 for on my BB CC)

Yeah, the BB discount is how I can afford the speakers. The system is used mostly for 2-channel music, so I want my mains to be good. When I watch movies I want it in surround but it is a secondary function of the system so I am fine with the RF-52 and RS-42 aslong as they don't stick out. I just need to sell my Synergy B-3 system first.

Re: What was Klipsch/Magnolia thinking? How about introducing great sound to the masses!!!

Give it time, it will be a win win for both sides, trust me. I hope they also keep a line for the higher end dealers too. There are a lot of people that do not know what Klipsch is at all, let alone how to pronounce it. I heard the Magnolia... Best Buy guy say. clips...speakers.. Oh Well. Rather than correct him on the spot, I properly pronounced it as Klipsch a few min later talking to him. He caught himself and said yes, that is right... Klipsch not clips/./. sorry... We both laughed.. No harm done.. At least they have Klipsch Speakers now and if people are interested, they can check em out.

Imagine the high brows at Martin Logan, B & W and others having to "STOOP" so low to get into Home Theater? hahahaaha Bottom line it is where the business is. I am just glad Klipsch is there...

This got me to thinking?

Maybe, if we stop complaining to sales people at BB - Magnolia, and just get excited Klipsch is there, THEY will be happy to carry Klipsch too. One of my worst memories was taking a friend to BB-Magnolia to see Klipsch and other speakers, even if we were really looking for a new amp. (He was looking for a good AV Amp..) He ridiculed the sales guy that he did not know much about Klipsch. He went on and on about HIS ref system, claiming this and that.. It was just out of place. I was embarrased he was so arrogant, I do not go looking for gear with him anymore. They will not carry the Heritage line and you know... that's ok.... The poor 20 something kid was new to this industry... Don't make him feel like a jerk and you just might learn something too.

my 2 cents.

I'm in a catch 22. I like the fact that you can get them there, but sad that you can as well

The local best buy just moved locations and now they have a Magnolia HT. I was quite excited to see a high end HT store go in since the closest one closed about a year ago. Now i have to drive almost an hour to get Klipsch products. I purchased the 82's when they were the 35's and i have 35's all the way around with an rsw-15. Well at first i was Really excited to see a local source selling the Klipsch reference speakers.

However currently I'm starting to have second thoughts on it. It was nice to say when i was asked "like the ones at BB" I could say well sorta, they are the same company but the line higher up. It was the "prestige" feeling of going away from the big box store and doing the research to find a good speaker that i liked. Had i waited 2-3yrs i could have gotten the 82's along with every other jo-schmo who just buys them cause they look cool.

I am glad that they have the exposure, and it looks like they are only offered in the black (i have cherry), but i'm bummed that they offer the 82's. I guess i just am selfish and wanted to hang onto that "special" feeling that I have something that you have to "look" for. I mean when friends asked i told them right where to go to get them.

I guess now I'm just worried about getting people who run the same bose routine. I bought them cause so&so said they are the best and they go loud. I don't like the thought of moron's having the same speakers that i researched and spent time to find.

On the upside i am running them off of a Rotel amp that you have to look for to find LOL.

No one here will be happy until they can walk into a store and see and hear everything Klipsch has to offer. Yes that would be cool! The only answer is to have factory stores. Maybe some day Klipsch will decide to do this. I would be tempted to be a franchisee or otherwise participate in this. Until then, it's find what you can where you can. Questioning what certain parties are thinking is fruitless since it is the result of negotiations taking into account many issues.

I think it was done for the sake of the dealer network - by putting the entire Reference lineup in the Magnolia store, it's going to decrease the image of the speakers in dedicated boutiques. But in the same regard, Klipsch had to put something better than the Synergy line in the Magnolia room because the Synergy line doesn't cut it for aesthetics (even though the synergy outperforms everything in that room). If the timbre matching issues of the RC-52 was significant enough, then I think Klipsch would have pushed very hard to provide a better center channel.

Btw, if you can barely swing the funds for the RF-82's, then wouldn't an RC-62 be outta your price range anyway?

I guess that I would have to disagree. If you are going to put some of the Reference models in the Magnolia store, then you should offer the top models Reference in there as well. Otherwise, what is to distinguish the dedicated boutiques - other than also offering the top models.........since most sell the lower Reference models as well?

Again, if you are going to expose Klipsch Reference to the masses in a box store (even if it is in the elite section), then you might as well put your best foot forward with the entire line. the average Joe in Magolia at BB is bound to assume that those Reference models are all that Klipsch offers. Maybe that I am in the minority but I think that Klipsch would have been better keeping only Synergy in BB. The way that they are doing it piecemeal actually dilutes the prestige of the Reference line at the dedicated boutiques.

Carl.

Real life examples of Pareto's Principle where 20% of a phenomena are responsible for 80% of the impact or results:

% of Group, % of Total,....

World Energy Consumption: 20% of population uses 80% of all energy.....

Poorest Health in U.S. Population: 20% is responsible for 80% of all health care expenditures.....

IBM Study: 20% of operating code uses 80% of a computer's total run time.....

Sales force productivity: 20% of a sales force produces 80% of all sales.........Stock Market Profits: 20% of all Stocks produce 80% of all profits....since Klipsch will not release sales figures, will use institutional core holding as a proxy of Pareto's Principle,.... another words don't expect more than 20% to know 80% of 100%

post-16352-13819321631276_thumb.gif