what happened to our "lumberyards"

Speedball

Stopped by one of our local homestores the other day and was suprised by what they are now selling. Frozen pizzas, bread, canned soups, cake mixes, stuff for the medicine cabinets. What is this world coming to? Everybody wants to be like Meijers and Walmart..sheeeesh.[:|]

Yes, I would like some 2'x4's, a sheet of plywood and a gallon of milk please!

Just like the old drive-in movie theaters: They're just about all in splinters! They can't seem to compete with the big box stores. Trio Lumber in Dearborn Heights and M.A. Man's in Trenton are two of the last good ones.

There's still a few around but what a shame. Hardware stores, too. There are hardly any real ones around. Most ar just "home centers' that sell cheap junk.We have one chain around here called ACO. All of their so-called "hardware" breaks or rusts if you look at it too long. Give me a real hardware store any day like Al-Wick Ace Hardware in Allen Park or Grand Hardware in Southgate. Now THERE'S a hardware store!

• Moderators

If you think it's hard to find a lumberyard, try finding any decent wood !

For nice exotic wood we have a couple of good places, very expensive though. But for regular building material you really have to pick through it just to find something straight.

Quality lumber has gone the way of Drive-In theatres, as Picky stated.

Our trees are genetically tweaked now so that they grow like the Dickens.

Big 'ol growth rings which decreases the stability of the product.

We used to have two lumberyards in my itty bitty town years ago. Both are now gone.

Thank goodness we still have a old style hardware store. It's been here forever.

I do as much buisness as I can there.

I wonder if Riverside Lumber is still around in New Orleans. I bought some cypress there for a bookshelf years ago. Cypress would be a nice layer over MDF for speaker boxes, but it would have to be a 1/2 inch board over the MDF. I don't think cypress veneers well.

In the DC area we used to have a regional chain called Hechinger's, it was pretty decent. Then they tried to be all things to all people and start selling stuff to compete with K-mart and Wal-mart . Hechingers went under even before Home Depot came to town.

Same thing happened with a Florida chain called Scotty's. If you knew what you wanted you could get in & out quickly. Most of the staff was clueless, but that's OK if the customer knows the store better than they do. Then they started selling a bunch of 3rd world goods that looked a great deal like American brands. Hmmm... There are still a few Scotty's hardware stores around.

Around here unless you are a cabinet company, H-D is it. We have a Lowe's but we stopped going there since we were PO'd every time we left. There are a few wholesale lumberyards that cater strictly to local cabinet companies, which are also an endangered species.

Last summer I was re-tiling our bathroom. I got to the end which was the slight stepdown from the new floor into the hallway (~3/8"). Now I figured a simple little "ramp" style threshold wood strip would do the trick mathing the Red Oak of the hardwood floor outside the bathroom. Shoooooooooooot; try to find one around here!! There are none. Even the specialty hardwood flooring stores won't even order you one unless you're an installer much less carry one in stock. I had to find a piece of red oak strip and get real creative with a tilting sabre saw.[:^)]

• Moderators

Boom, Riverside lumber was the place I was thinking of, there was 8' of water there, they may be reopened ?

There is a guy with a sawmill about 2 miles from here, I have bought some Cypress and Pine from him in the past, cheap.

I still have three of the Cypress boards left, have been saving them till I figure out what I want to build with them. The three boards are 1" thick and 14" wide and about 10' long. I have been having that Cypress for about 2 years and it's hard to belive it hasn't cupped being 14" wide or bent in any way.

I also have about 12 Mahogany boards 1 1/4" X 8" X 10' will make something nice when I figure out what that " something " is, Mahogany is not easy to come by, or cheap,

Hey dtel,

Riverside Lumber's website is still up.

www.riversidelumber.com

(I think, pasting from Mozilla doesn't work)

I am fortunate that I know a boatbuilder locally who is a wood fanatic and stocks all different kinds of wood, including some rare types. He's been kind enough to make me some custom molding in cypress and sold me some very handsome teak that I made into a keyboard stand. He also makes the "half hull' ship models for offices, beuatiful, alas out of my price range.

Dtel...another thought...you ever heard of barge boards? The barges that came down the Mississippi from the Ohio Valley to New Orleans in the days before steamboats. Once in New Orleans, most were broken up and sold. Many of those boards wound up in buildings in the Vieux Carre and Marigny. Some of the ones I've seen were amazing, 12 foot long, 16 inches wide and 2 inches thick cypress...not grown like that anymore.

Oh they're grown, at least down south, you just can't get to'em. Cypress is so dense the logs sink instead of float, at least the bald cypress that I know. Houses in east Texas back in the old days were made from local cedar, so insects were never a problem. I have seen cypress flooring for sale, oddly enough it is not a real popular wood, but I like it.