Great news

khorn#1

Al of alk engineering emailed me today and said my trachorns for my khorns have shipped and I should have them in a couple of days. This is perfect timing, its going to be cold this weekend and this will be the perfect opportunity to install and give these a serious listening. I 've got the es networks in these khorns along with crites tweeters so this will be hopefully the icing on the cake. I'll post my comments on these as soon as I install and have some serious jam sessions.

Randy

Randy,

That is great news. I'll be looking for your review too. 

Are you going to use the K-55V's with the Trachorns? I'm using my K55-Vs on Altec 511Bs now and can't wait to hear the Trachorns. Some people say they are somewhat better that tyhe 511Bs, some say the Trachorns are a great improvement. Time will tell for me.

I just spoke to Al on the phone today, and he tells me my Trachorns will be shipped out soon. I have the Crties tweeters too, so our systems are similar.

Best luck,

George

Jay,

Yes, I got the complete package, horns and new motor board with grill cloth. I wanted to keep the original stock khorn look.

George,

Yes, I will be using the k55v's with these trachorns. According to Al, there is not much difference between the 511b 's and his trachorns. The trachorns offer what I think is the perfect midrange horn in that it's made out of wood as opposed to the metal and plastic of other designs. I've never heard the 511b's but others have said they need to be damped on the outside to keep down some ringing that occurs at certain times. I've never heard the trachorns or the 511b's so I cant say either way. I'm going by what others have posted on this forum and the reputation of alk engineering concerning these trachorns. I trust Al and his technical knowledge and the members of this forum that are using the trachorns in their systems. I took a chance with Al's es networks not ever hearing these at all, I would never go back to any other crossover, Al's es networks have taken my khorns to another level, especially at higher sound levels,sound stage, clarity, its all there with Al's es networks. Like I have said before as well as others on this forum, the stock khorns sound very good but as many of us khorns owners have found out, the squawker, tweeter and crossover can be much improved if one wants to spend the money to take these to a greater performance level. Just my two cents worth.

Randy

"According to Al, there is not much difference between the 511b 's"

Poor old Al must be going deaf..[:(] They may "measure" similiarly yet the trachorns are far more "open" and less "horny" than the 511s. Not only that, they smell better too!

You will have to drop down a tap or two on the mids. I can't say if this is because the driver is closer to the listening position or the trachorn is more efficient?

Enjoy!!!

Al isn't going deaf, he IS deaf.:) Actually, from a measurements perspective they aren't much alike at all. Al likes the 511B, but I really think he sells the Trachorn short when he uses it as a comparison.

Compared to the 511B and K-400, the Trachorn has elevated response near cut-off and at the top. Though the middle all three horns are pretty much the same. Overall, response is much flatter than the other two. When you first drop them in, they sound a little more forward, but since the sound is open, effortless, and non-fatiquing -- it sounds good. With K-55-M's, I dropped them down 2dB. When I put in the JBL drivers, I took them back to the standard Type A setting.

Well, if the horns sound a bit forward - does that seem to diminish the bass? They wouldn't overpower the bass volume would they?

Randy - May I ask why you are going this route? What about the stock khorn bothered you that you are tweeking them? And, have you heard these trachorns before or just going on the info/reviews?