HAD YOUR TAXES DONE YET ??????????????

joessportster

MADE AN APPOINTMENT YESTERDAY WITH JACKSON HEWITT TOLD US WE WOULD GET BACK 21 HUNDRED DOLLARS THEY SAID WE WOULD BE CHARGED 300, TO DO THE TAXES AND 40 FOR INSURANCE WE TOLD THEM NO WAY THATS IS TOO MUCH MONEY TO FILE THREE FORMS

WENT TO WALMART AND BOUGHT THE TAX PRO PREMIUM FOR 25.00 FEDERAL WE WILL BE GETTING BACK 2700.00

MORAL OF THIS STORY IS DO NOT TRUST JACKSON HEWITT

I'd always done our taxes, but after opening the business I didn't feel comfortable with learning all the depreciation, deduction and other intricacies so we now leave it up to the accountant. I am usually happiest if I get back $100. I want to have all of the money that's mine as soon as I can, not let Uncle Sam "borrow" it interest free until I can file my taxes and get the refund. Although I do know people that use the refund as a self-contributing savings account.

If you need help with your taxes, always hire a CPA with a good reputation for honesty, knowledge, timelyness and reasonable rates. The best preparers are frequently less expensive when all variables are considered.

The corporate preparers use people with limited experience and education. Some of the corporate preparers are failures from accounting programs. Others are part-timers that lack the wide range of skills needed.

The corporates lay awake at night trying to think of new ways to exploit their customers' ignorance. For example, they charge very high rates of interest on loans that are not really needed for tax refunds. They charge $75 for electronic filing to speed a refund up by two weeks. That has the effect of an APR of 97% "interest" (rent) to get the refund a couple of weeks sooner. Beware of the"investments" that they recommend for IRAs etc.

Bill

• Moderators

Life is too complicated. I have a degree in Accounting yet need a financial advisor, attorney and accountant on a regular basis. I wish I was 20 something and poor again.

Yeah, but Michael, just think what cool conversations you would be missing out on if you didn't have your financial advisor, accountant and attorney buds to talk to. [8-|]

Travis

Had to remind me...it's that time of the year again...time to pull out the checkbook and pay for 1 more foot of US interstate Highway.

Pretty soon, I'll have a whole expressway paid for.

Luckily, in the military we get our taxes done by the "experts" for free!

People in the military should not have to pay any takes at all.

I couldn't agree more.

To serve the country and then be taxed for that service.....

That sound you hear is steam coming out of my ears.

- Jim

I now pay for a tax pro to do mine.............they know more about it than I do...........Medical Retirement has it's own tax payment table, pretty confusing percentages you pay.....................worth it to me.................Instant refund loans are a JOKE, unless you really need it for an emergency.................