Kitchen counters 2....

oscarsear

For those unfamiliar I sorta hijacked dtel's wifes thread about her new Kitchen counters. Here were done and mine had not yet begun and I had questions that were nicely answered by our Mr. Fini. Well I'm done and as promised here are pics of the results. This 1st one is before picture.

post-16064-13819321944472_thumb.jpg

It was not easy. Fini we did not have to pull the appliance garage and it took Costco 4 separate trips to get the install correct. They screwed up cuts and plain forgot other parts of the order. Worst of all I found out afterwards that I injured my shoulder badly enough to require surgery. More to follow on that. One last picture of the after.

post-16064-13819321952982_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

It looks great, and I like the color also. It looks like they did a good job in the long run. That's some very heavy stuff. I had to take out my aunt's when we had to gut her house after the storm, we had to break it up and it still took 2 people to carry each piece.

Love the way that stuff looks, very clean looking without all the seams.

Very brave to have wood floors in the kitchen, when I think of the abuse my tile has suffered (being tile, it is fine, but if it were wood it would look awful by now).

Actually it's more resistant than most people think due to the varied natural colours hiding small imperfections... I've had it as well... for about 7yrs now without refinishing... so i'm pleased

We're happy the way it turned out. The bottom of the appliance garage did have to be cut in place but the base trim covered that all up nicely. My shoulder was already in trouble before this. My right arm is limited and I use my left arm for most everything. I helped do the tear out for this. You recall that the tile was laid on rock board and plywood. They were also glued and screwed down to the cabinet bases. Anyway by the time were wrestled all this out the left shoulder was bad enough that the wife made me see the doc. The head of the clavicle where it meets the acromia in the shoulder joint is shot. It's bone on bone and just a tad painful. They've got this lovely procedure where they use a scope, go in and re-work the whole mess. I can hardly wait. There's nothing more fun than signing up for a train wreck to get over a train wreck. No more white grout. No more chipped tile. Undercounter sinks all around. Yiiipppee!!

Let me share the saga of the install as well. The vendor was thru Costco and they were based in Spokane. Big company and all that plus the $$ savings were good and no sales tax because I'm in Idaho. Well they cut their stone in Seattle (about 300miles further west)according to templates made locally using CNC water jets. They wanted to do 2 visits to get the backsplash templates done tight. No problem. They come and install just the counter tops, do the back splash templates and leave. After we re-install the sink and stuff I look at our little writing desk top and the top sits askew. I measure and it's cut off square by 1/4 inch. It was installed crooked because they had the drawer out which made up most of the cabinet front and didn't notice the small difference. So the guy comes back looks at it and agrees but it can be fixed w/o a recut. Great..they show up with the backsplash 2 weeks later and I notice that it's not edged the way it was ordered (and paid for). The installer argues with me (bad idea). I get my paperwork (and I keep everything) and I demonstrate to the guy the problem and he gets pissy (bad idea). They pull the backsplash and make another date to install. After my conversation with Mr. Pissy's boss I get the supervisor to finish the install. In the interim I find that I cannot reinstall one GFI plug as the hole is too small (more good work from Mr. Pissy). So a week later the sup shows up with the corrected backsplash and finds that another piece has been cut wrong (Mr. Pissy would have tried to install it). He also can't fix the GFI plug hole because it needed more work than just expanding the hole. So another day and another visit. Finally all gets done and done right. The thing would have been a disaster if I'd allowed them free run. But, in all honesty I'm not certain that any other vendor would have been any different. The wife thinks I'm anal. Then I reminded her that I married her because I demand perfection and I've never been disappointed. That always works.

Very nice, looks good.................When I had Granite Countertops installed, many laughed and told me it was too expensive, that was 10 years ago, give or take a year or two, now the same people are getting Granite countertops, just paying more for it........looks great, lasts forever, if treated right, Kitchens and Bathrooms are big money to re-do, but worth it in the end...............................EH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators

Sorry to hear about your shoulder, I had the same problem. About 15 years ago I fell playing baseball and tore my clavicle bone also. The first doctor at the emergency room said surgery and sent me to another doctor. The second doctor also said surgery but wanted me to see a orthopedic surgeon. When I went to see the orthopedic surgeon he said I had two choices, surgery or just leave it alone and the worst that would happen would be that I may get arthritis there when I get older, and when I relax my shoulder there will be a bump where the clavicle bone would have connected .

At this point I was not in pain anymore so I figured leave it alone and the worse that would happen is I would have to have it fixed later. It's been 15 years and I have never had any problems again, there is a bump there when I relax my shoulder, like he said.

If you are in pain yours may be separated a little different than mine and may not have a choice , but bet a second opinion, and try an orthopedic surgeon if possible.?

Either way good luck ! And the counter looks very nice.

The shoulder has been troubling me for about 4 months and I've just shrugged it off (I made a pun, Ha). After the kitchen project I couldn't hold a cup of coffee. Problem is that the right shoulder/arm has nerve damage starting in the neck. It presents with all 57 varieties of pain when it chooses and for no special reason. I can't have both sides down. The xray already shows the arthritis and the joint is crunchy with crepitation. I am seeing another doc for a more refined opinion. But if they want to cut I'd rather get it done sooner so I can be somewhat rehab'd by spring/summer. The wife, who is a nurse, thought I'd fouled the rotator cup but I fooled her!

Very nice, looks good.................When I had Granite Countertops installed, many laughed and told me it was too expensive, that was 10 years ago, give or take a year or two, now the same people are getting Granite countertops, just paying more for it........looks great, lasts forever, if treated right, Kitchens and Bathrooms are big money to re-do, but worth it in the end...............................EH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad you like them. We just re-did our kitchen and went with Corian. The cost would have been about the same for Granite but we wanted to be able to use the countertops for working directly on, the small holes in Granite would have been a problem. I work around Granite surface plates all day and I can tell you for a fact that the Corian looks EXACTLY like the real Granite I see every day, but without the surface holes.

That wallpaper is an enigma.  The lady who built this house was a "designer".  Throughout the place she did some very interesting/creative things.  Some people find them marvelous and others much less so.  All of the wall paper was put on by pros.  The stuff is part of the wall.  Anywhere we've chosen to lose it we could not have it removed.   We had it textured over and painted.  The paper in the kitchen is actually made from silk.  It has a sheen not evident in the pictures.  It does look busy and people either love or hate it.  If you look at the before pic you'll see that there used to be a row of black and white checkered tile used as backsplash boarder.  That plus this wall paper was goofy as hell.  Anyway pulling the wall paper is not so simple and many find it dandy as all get out.   Costco here in CDA wants permission to include the kitchen in their store display.