How did the Superbowl in HD look on your HT?

flannj

I wouldn't know because Comcast decided not to pick up that particular high definition channel in time for the game.

/Still a little bitter. [:S]

That's pathetic. Why wouldn't your regional Comcast carry the CBS HD channel all the time? If CBS is spending the money to record and broadcast content in HD why wouldn't they force the issue with Comcast?

It looked pretty good. But trhe cheap a**** at CBS don't use high def on all of their sidelines and ect. For a good game in HD you need to watch it on espn, ABC,Fox or even some of NBC. CBS seems to suck on either the brodcast or equipment used.

It depends on which set you watched on in my house. In the family room, the Sony 50" did just fine but in the theater, the 119" was forced to use SD so it was kinda bad but the size was nice. I don't know why the OAT in the Sony worked ok but the OAT with the PJ didn't. The same signal was sent to both sets but the past history with the PJ is that CBS sucks when it comes to quality.

Looked great, though there were about 3 drop (approx 2 seconds) outs in sound between plays for some reason.

I think that was more broadcast problems as that happened on my non hd signal at school

In my case it was from the Digital signal (Dolby Digital) straight from the box, so I guess it was consistent.

• Moderators

Could not get the Superbowl in HD here. Local cable [ Charter ] here has NO HD, we have Dish Network .

Dish Network or Direct TV don't offer Locals in HD in our area ! Also we live on the Fringe of weather we should get OTA, and its only a couple of stations, so not worth wasting the money.

I would be willing to pay extra for local HD but we have no choice. It's aggravating to see shows saying presented in HD, but no way to view it that way !

It's a racket at best ! .......In all the stores selling new TVs they don't bother to tell customers how little HD is really available. Had this TV for 2 years now and with Dish we get the most channels available from anyone provider and in 2 years we might have picked up 2 extra channels. And we have the old Voom channels, without them it would be really sorry.

But they are all still saying by year 200? we will have ??? number of channels, when it comes on the TV I will belive it. I guess that's what we get for letting the goverment get involved.

OK done whining now !

I wouldn't know because Comcast decided not to pick up that particular high definition channel in time for the game.

/Still a little bitter. [:S]

That's pathetic. Why wouldn't your regional Comcast carry the CBS HD channel all the time? If CBS is spending the money to record and broadcast content in HD why wouldn't they force the issue with Comcast?

Tell me about it. Up until about two months ago we had Adelphia and they were recenty bought out by Comcast. Long story short, last year Adelphia made a huge rush to get the channel up in time for the game and they made it (the channel came online four hours before kickoff). We all figured we were set this year too since Comcast is supposed to be big on HD support, but there were never any plans to get CBS up and running for the Superbowl, and I also found out there are no current plans to even carry it at this point in time. The good news is I called them up to complain about their lack of HD support and walked away with Showtime, HBO and Starz free for a year.

I thought the game looked great on my 65". I thought CBS could have wiped the lenses from certain angles more often, but other than that.... it looked fantastic. I think they might have chosen to keep a couple of the lenses foggy and water spotted for effect purposes....... I mean c'mon.... These guys know, by now, how to protect the glass better from getting wet if they wanted too.

It was exceptionally good OTA on mt Sony 46" LCD 1080P even with the rain fogged lenses at times. The commercials were razor sharp also. There were no dropouts and the overhead shots were great. My local station broadcasts in 1080i.

JJK

Unfortunately, I live in the Meridian, ID area. The local CBS station here, (Channel 2 or 2.1 for HD), is the ONLY OTA HD station that I can not tune in to in the valley. They have the most horrid signal strength of all the stations here. They often advertise on their regular station that the shows are available on HD on channel 2.1, but when you try to tune in, you have zip signal strength. Truly worthless.

Being just 6 miles from the CBS local tower (ok and too cheap for cable) I just used rabbit ears. It looked great but why couldn't they keep the rain off the camera lenses?

It SOUNDED awesome though! I was glad they did away with the swooshes and whuuummps that too often accompany the arrival of on-screen graphics.

It looked awesome on my end as well. I have one of those huge roof antennas that I probably could use to communicate with space aliens! [:o] I am friggan pulling Baltimore stations with that thing!

But yeah, the picture looked extremely good on my 55-inch Mitsubishi Diamond series TV, and of course, the sound was superb through the Klipsch. I also agree that it was better they did away with most of the annoying swooshing, although there were still some. I also did experience the audio drop-outs that was mentioned in some of the posts above. It was probably a glitch in the broadcast stream.

Still - pretty damn impressive of what just goes on in a football game. I bet it is quite a production to get a game into your HT.