My Edgar Mid-Horn Construction Pics...Fun, Fun

jorjen

Yep Osc.

Hey...those flare cutouts you see in the photo of mine are to the desciption of Edgars article just as I sent you. Now my new flare sketch "fixes' that minor error. It requires a slightly different jig sketch than the one I sent. There may be no audible difference.

jc

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll let y' all know a deep dark secret. My horns are 12 3/4" deep. I build them longer and sanded them down to 1 1/2" on the vertical axis. At this point there is a slight asymmetry (on mine anyhow.). I made the 3/4" pine mounting plates with a nearly conical flare mating the 1" (approx) exit of the K-55 to the 1 1/2" entry to the horn.

Funny Jordan, I built all of mine with two plys of 1/8" Baltic birch with a damping adhesive between. I have used both silicone and marine 5200 adhesives. I was going to try a pair with the bendable ply next. [:o] I have an unfinished pair in the garage with 4 plys. I'll finish those when I get a round tuit.

Rick

Lee Valley in Canada carries 3 ply finnish birch plywood. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32736&cat=1,250,43217

Not simply veneer, but 3 plies at 1/32 of an inch!!!! It is very bendable.

Finnish-Birch Plywoods

Finnish-Birch Plywoods - Woodworking

Finnish-Birch Plywoods - Woodworking

This resin-bond plywood is water resistant for interior or exterior use. Unlike ordinary plywoods, it has no voids, is sanded on both sides, and is made up of thin layers that make it very strong.

The two thinner 3-ply plywoods are ideal for forming (lamp shades, model or toy parts, etc.). The 0.8mm (1/32") will form to a 1 1/2" diameter. The 1.5mm (1/16") will form to a 3" diameter. The thicker 3 mm (1/8") by 5 ply is particularly strong and can be used for case construction, toolbox drawer bottoms, etc. The 3mm (1/8") by 3 ply is a more economical plywood, still very rigid. It is suited for use in weather vanes, whirligigs, block letters, jigsaw puzzles, and drawer bottoms.

All of these plywoods are exterior-grade Finnish birch of the same type (but uncertified) used in aircraft. Sizes given are nominal.