A JBL auction to watch...Summit L300s

sheltie dave

I got started on this stereo gig back about 1974, when my older brother picked up his first stereo. He beat it in my head that speakers were the most important link, and the ones he lusted after were Avids and Altecs. He had a torrid platonic affair with a set of Altec 14s at Team Electronics, but the Altecs he ended up buying were a small box set of Altec Sevens?, best I can recall.

I fell in love with JBLs, and I spent hour after hour looking at the grille colors(JBL orange, blue, cream and black,) and memorized the line designations. The L220 always floated my boat, although the L100 Century was still going strong, and the 150, 200, and 300 were the kings of the showroom.

Imagine my surprise when I see this nice set of Summit L300s. Scrolling through the photos just made me thirty years younger. Man, I'd like to have these in the house! Looked through the photos again, then popped back up to the location, and they are...in Joliet, at the storage two miles from the hotel I'm at. Oh Oh, I might need a weekend job for a couple months[:P]

Dave...You are relentless. A man on a mission to find the best of the best in the JBL Heritage line....I see you got the C 40 unit compleated with the 175 driver....Did it come with the perferated horn lens? How are you going to hide the Summit from your wife...If you get it you can store it up here. If you need extra money to buy them...Come up here & chop some wood.

As a fellow JBL fan, I can relate to your enthusiasim for the L-300's. Although I did not get into stereos until about a decade after you Dave, I have fond memories of JBL and Klipsch heritage lines from hanging with my uncle. I would love to jump in the fray on these, but I just bought a pair of JBL 2245 18" woofers that i'm going to have enough trouble trying to hide from my wife. I'm thinking of a DIY project with JBL 077's and Altec mid horn and driver, similar to what Luther "Wardsweb" has done. I'll be anxiously watching this auction. I hope you can pull it off.

Jeremy

Not overlooked by everybody. JBL made a lot of great speakers including affordable models. I have the L110 (a find @ $9.99 for the pair plus authorized JBL woofer refoam) and they sound terrific. My room's just too small to let horns breathe and I don't have the time/money to spend on audio chemistry, mixing horns and tubes. Happy with the JBLs for many years to come. I tried Altec -- too much metal and not enough bass for my taste. But, vocals were silky smooth! I had Cornwalls -- nice sound, but no imaging -- probably due to my smallish room. If I had a larger room for them to look "interesting," I would have kept them. I may revisit them someday. I would like to try Heresy's (poor man's Cornwith a good standalone sub?). I am still a Klipsch fan, but not in the market right now (unless, of course, I score a pair for $9.99!) and always enjoy reading these boards.

JBL has made some GREAT speakers over the years. I certainly haven't overlooked them.....but simply feel more comfortable owning vintage Klipsch. Klipsch are more plentiful and are less expensive to obtain (NO REFOAMS), and 20 years from now, I suspect that I would have an easier time finding Klipsch replacement parts because there are many more of those parts out there. JBL is already falling into that "esoteric/rare/collectable" category, which will make those speakers and parts become even more expensive/rare in the future. I can even afford to stock extra drivers for Klipsch......whereas JBL parts will cost as much as some Klipsch speakers.

I chose Klipsch, and have stayed with Klipsch because they are more "prudent" in terms of long term ownership - especially given that I prefer speakers using compression drivers. JBL made great stuff, but Heritage Klipsch delivers more per unit $.

Audio, couldn't agree with you more.............I am just amazed at the following of JBL's on this forum......I find it interesting, that the same speakers that I thought about back in the 70's,and could not afford, are so popular now..............That's all.......KLIPSCH is also my choice, but I like to read about other choices, too..........................

I would have a really hard time choosing one over the other. I love, love, love my Cornwalls. I also have a (4) RF-7 based home theater, but I also really like my JBL's. I think it's just a horn thing, as I prefer the JBL horn loaded speakers. I'm just a horn head. I don't own any Altec, but I sure would like to. James B. Lansing and Paul Klipsch were both deep into compression drivers and horn loading. I think that is why I admire the work of both men. The JBL drivers are definately not as durable as Klipsch drivers. Most all old JBL drivers need at least a refoam. And parts are very cost prohibitive. I just bought some JBL 18" woofers that need a recone, and the JBL "factory" recone kit cost almost 3 times what I paid for the woofers. JBL has a huge variety of drivers which lends well to the DIY crowd. Duke spinner is another JBL fan. Where is that guy? Have not seen him around here in a while!

Jeremy

Jeremy, JBL did not start using the cheap butyl? surrounds until well into the 70s, so the earlier woofs are still going strong. As far as quality - JBL and Altec drivers/components always seem to be a cut above Klipsch, going back in time. A combination of business smarts, ruthless economic design, and strong engineering standards were the name of the game for Klipsch - and it has worked well.

All three lines have ardent supporters, with JBL fans having very well lined (and deep) pockets. I have made it a policy not to buy speakers over $200, unless they happen to be the TOTL model. I've yet to find KHorns that cheap, so I have to compromise there; for whatever reason, Altec VOTTs and Valencias fall out of the sky at that line in Missouri, and I know I'll never find a widow with a set of Summits for that little money.

A great number of recording studios out west mastered recording sessions with JBLs, so it is interesting to listen to Fleetwood Mac, the Eagles, and other California based bands with L100s, 110s, and 112s. The sound is markedly different than Heresys or the bigger Klipsch. It is easy to hang a west coast "mellow" tag on the JBLs,as they don't snarl but will pound when they get thumpin.

Mark, was that 8" akin to the WE/Altec 755? Here is your old pair...

http://cgi.ebay.com/James-B-Lansing-JBL-L44-Lancer-Vintage-Speakers_W0QQitemZ190083586015QQihZ009QQcategoryZ61377QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just stay away from the 75 bullet tweeters if you don't like shrill...