Quick! Could this actually be real?

anarchist

"They look 100% real to me. But is $55/ea really a bargain?"

$55 each WOULD be a bargain, except this is for 5 5AR4s, not 5 pairs. If they were 5 pairs for $550 NOS, trust me, they would have been gone when I saw this posted last night.

He was trying to sell a 10 pack last week for $1250 BIN. No takers on that quantity at that price, so I suppose he's breaking them down into smaller batches to get takers.

Looks like 5 to me...

Qty 5 NOS NIB Dual Getter Mullard GZ34 5AR4

CHECK OUT ALL MY OTHER AUCTIONS!

If you have less than 10 positive feedbacks or have shades, please email before bidding. Contact in 48 and pay in 7.

You are bidding on 5pc made in Great Britain, NOS, NIB, dual halo, Mullard 5AR4/GZ34.

This auction is for 5 tubes.

Tested, packaged and labeled by Philips for their flagship brand, "Miniwatt", these are the cream of the GZ34 crop, and possibly the best sounding ever made!!

From a master carton of 50, this beautiful example is a mid 60's version, with thicker glass envelope and the old, dark getter formulae that extends down beyond the top, and dual halo getters!.

Of course these tubes have classic saw tooth plates, and hole in the guidepin and all have a Blackburn date code of f32 B6I4.

Everyone talks about the tone they get with 5AR4.

One of the best reasons to use a 5AR4/GZ34 in your amp is that it has a slow heat up or "ramp up" which is much easier on your precious NOS power tubes.

One of the most overlooked aspects of 5AR4 is they will last for the life of your amp

This valve would be fantastic in your favorite tube stereo such as Dynaco, Heathkit, McIntosh, Fisher or guitar amp such as Matchless, Fender, Victoria, Budda or Marshall JTM 45 Bluesbreaker.

All tubes test new over 130 per diode for emissions on my Hickok 539B. No shorts or leaks.

Gauranteed NOS, never used!!

Buyer pays $20.00 insured shipping. International shipping is $25.00.

All electronics are sold as is and all sales are final.

Payment Options:
I accept the following forms of payment: PayPal, Money Order.

They ARE real......but I think this seller has made a correction to his listing (it now says 5 tubes). I think he just cut and pasted his auction for 10 of these that he ran last week. Maybe he's watching us[;)].....or somebody informed him of the error....

You are correct that NOS versions of this tube are $105-$125. I've been seeking out some for myself as well (VRDs in the works), and would have bought 'em all had they been for 10. I've bought a few other tubes from this seller, and everything I ever got from him was as advertised.

The problem with used 5AR4 is that it's difficult to tell what that tube has been through. They always test at NOS levels until they die (where a 5U4, for example, will show decreasing strength as you use it). Where often you can see wear patterns in various tubes (like an RCA 6L6GC, you can see the shrinking getter as evidence of use), this is also not as easy to do with a 5AR4 - only extremely used examples show the getter wear/darkening. So used is a crapshoot, even more so than with many other tubes I get used, for the prior listed reasons.

Great post audible. If you run across a "bulk" sale of NOS, let me know and I will be glad to "join" in the purchase. In a couple weeks, I will have bought Mullard 5ar4's one way or the other and I prefer a lower price. Heck, I have to decide on some 5751's and 12bh7's yet and those will be pricey for NOS as well.

They ARE real......but I think this seller has made a correction to his listing (it now says 5 tubes). I think he just cut and pasted his auction for 10 of these that he ran last week. Maybe he's watching us[;)].....or somebody informed him of the error....

You are correct that NOS versions of this tube are $105-$125. I've been seeking out some for myself as well (VRDs in the works), and would have bought 'em all had they been for 10. I've bought a few other tubes from this seller, and everything I ever got from him was as advertised.

The problem with used 5AR4 is that it's difficult to tell what that tube has been through. They always test at NOS levels until they die (where a 5U4, for example, will show decreasing strength as you use it). Where often you can see wear patterns in various tubes (like an RCA 6L6GC, you can see the shrinking getter as evidence of use), this is also not as easy to do with a 5AR4 - only extremely used examples show the getter wear/darkening. So used is a crapshoot, even more so than with many other tubes I get used, for the prior listed reasons.

Can the 5AR4 be used in MC30s instead of the 5U4? I read that some people were trying that but wasn't sure if they had modified the MC30s first. The reason I ask is I have some really nice military rca brown base 5ar4 tubes just sitting around.

Why would you want to use a 5AR4 in an MC30? GREAT 5u4 tubes are DIRT CHEAP and you will find no sonic iprovements with the 5AR4. Plus, if you want to get all exotic and EXPENSIVE, you can always use the GEC U52 or the WE 274B without making any mods to your MC-30s. Or, if you think you really nead the "soft start" you can sub in the WE 242A. But get out your wallet!

In fact, I am having Craig built my new stereo amp to run with 5U4 rectifiers.

I'm not sure about 5AR4 in MC-30s. I've heard of people using GZ37 rectifiers in MC-30s but not sure about specifics related to the 5AR4. I'm not even sure why GZ37s actually work (although I do know the "slow rise" nature of these at startup is nice).......but I'm a bit leery about using anything that varies from spec on a specific amp, because I don't have good understanding of how the circuit actually works and what effect this has on the amp. If I could ever get a good explanation on this to ease my comfort level through better understanding, I might look into alternatives to 5U4GB.

Allen,

The only reason I asked is because I have 6 of them. I would need a couple of my wallets to get the WE242A! Thanks.

Audible,

I read about it on one of the other forums late lastnight but can't remember which. It's not that important I'll use the 5u4. If the answer was a resounding sure yes try it then I might have tried it. Thanks.

Not knowing tubes as much as I should... So Allan, is 5U4 tube an exact replacement for GZ34/5AR4?

Ki

No. You can't interchange them in any amp I know . . .

The 5U4 is a much older design--it dates from the the 1930's and is a SLAM!--full on RIGHT NOW rectifier, which the 5AR4 offers a much gentler start--at least that's what all the books and data says.

They look new original Mullard's to me but I would hardly call that a deal at $125 each...... I think If I was to spend that kind of money I would spend it with a reputable established tube dealer like Brent Jessie or similar.

In MC-30 the 5AR4 would raise the operating voltages in the amp about 20 to 40V. I wouldn't do it if it was mine. If you want slow start I would do as Allan advised.

They look new original Mullard's to me but I would hardly call that a deal at $125 each...... I think If I was to spend that kind of money I would spend it with a reputable established tube dealer like Brent Jessie or similar.

In MC-30 the 5AR4 would raise the operating voltages in the amp about 20 to 40V. I wouldn't do it if it was mine. If you want slow start I would do as Allan advised.

Brent Jessie is the only tube dealer I use for used or nos tubes but for new I use tubedepot.com because they are only a couple hours away. I hate to think what that person did to their MC30s to be able to use a 5ar4 because I have gathered from the comments that it is in no way a drop in replacement.

Not knowing tubes as much as I should... So Allan, is 5U4 tube an exact replacement for GZ34/5AR4?

Ki

No. You can't interchange them in any amp I know . . .

Check out Dynacos, VRDs, and others.

The difference is as Craig mentioned and its suitability depends on the amplifier design and circuit, ie. if you have 450uF caps and a 5u4 is providing this voltage, a 5ar4 is going to cause a problem. There is also the issue of a 5u4 pulling 3amps and a 5ar4 drawing less than 2 (making it easier on your transformer.)