whats up with kids today

joessportster

not trying to type cast anyone, and to make something clear we keep moving on to young adults in collage as examples of how well young ones are doing.......i applaud anyone that is able to go further with there education and make a better life for themselves...........however these young adults are not kids........ i was referring you young kids teenagers etc... not collage age people because i dont consider someone in collage a kid........... and im not saying there arnt some good ones out here in the world what im saying is around here where i live i didnt see a single kid out trying to earn a buck like we used to.............i saw plenty at the store shopping or walking the streets with friends, sleigh riding etc... i hope to instill a good work ethic in my new son as well as any one would there son and i will do my best to make that ethic point twords higher education, (this manual labor is for the birds) when i grew up i didnt have any direction had to find my way as i went along (school of hard knocks you know !!!!!!!!!!!) guess thats why im so mean and nasty now HUH [8o|]

Joe

we have had 10 to 12 inches show here in

our township, and i havent seen a single kid going around trying

to get some money removing snow, christ when we were little ones

we would do what ever it took to get a buck, i can remember going door

to door with an old rotary sycle mower trying to make a few

dollars, i helped people move, wash there cars, wax cars, shovel snow

you name it i was game............not alot differant today im

always trying to figure out how to make a few dollars more (usually

gets spent on this hobby) i guess they are spoiled and get what

ever they want from mommy and daddy (that could be why i know alot of

20+ year olds still living at home

Joe

I have read only Joes post.

We

spoil them! My drive is 180 feet. My cousin plows it. THink my kids

take the initiative to shovel the rest without me pitching a bit$ch? No

way!

Not all kids are lazy, I didn't mean that at all, the majority just lack fire, they have everything handed to them,
and don't understand the value of earning a dollar before you spend
it.................Me, I am a lucky father, two Honor roll students,
put both through College, both kids worked when not in school, no
problems through the teen years at all...............Must be they got
it from their Mother......................EH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Normal
good deeds are just so boring for kids to embrace. The electronic media
blitz has made it so. Kids are looking for the instant gratification
exictment of life as the primary objective.

You're not mean Joe, maybe a little cynical but with the kids that live around you that's completely acceptable[;)]

You bring up a good point in that it does take persistance at teaching our kids strong values and my wife and I make it a point to monitor the amount of electronic anything our boys take in and I also find 5 years old is a good age at starting them on the road to responsiblity in light chores (my 5 year old is responsible for emtying he and his little brothers bath room trash can every couple days into our kitchen can) hopefully my boys will understand what a summer lawn mowing gig (age appropriate here so don't think I have my 5 year old running the mower yet[6]) is all about also[:D]

I have seen too many parents use media devices for an attention sitter instead of truly constructive activities for building personal character and as far as I'm concerned in this day and age the video game is truly the devil's workshop[:D] I know I'll get flamed by many gamers on this one but I'm standing by my guns[^o)]

I don't really think their are all that many lucrative jobs in our world built around proficiency at gaming[:^)]

My wife just told me about were some ten year old girl had a bunch of her 14 year old friends hold a 22 year old girl down while she kicked her to within an inch of her life[:@] 10 years old! Who raises a deamon like this? I also feel the parents of this child are just as responsible as she is[8o|]

It all starts at home

i have a 15 year old half brother and i know exactly what you are talking about with games and such i would bet he doesnt see the outside for more than 5 hours a week, and at 15 he weighs nearly 300 pounds, he has no respect for his parents or anyone else for that matter..........he does mediocre in school and accells at gaming and internet i asked him what he was going to do with his life he says develope games (guess he fails to realize that takes persistance, education, and a will to do what ever you have to if you want that dream to come true) of course i tried to tell him this but were all a bunch of idiots that dont know anything about the industry in his mind............b-4 our son was born i took a long look at the gaming thing and i offeed up all my junk on ebay for sale i sure seem to get alot more accomplished at home now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and yes parents are responsiable i agree 100 percent, it takes a village my a$$..........it takes a hands on parent that isnt afraid to administer a little discepline and love (tough and nutureing that is) i get so tired of the same old argument im not allowed to spank blah blah blah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the truth is its alot harder to take the child and make them listen than it is to whine about it after they go crazy then the lazy self absorbed parent can just turn the little havoc reaker over to the state and blame them for all that ailes, and dont bother with the argument about 2 paarents working been there done that its called sacrafice get rid of the 400,000.00 house and buy a 100,000.00 one ITS SUPPOSED TO BE KIDS COME FIRST THEY ARE THE FUTURE NOT OUR POSSESSIONS

rant over sorry you hit a nerve !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe

A smack on the butt is not child abuse................Ever feel your fathers belt on your butt ? Too many people worrying about how we raise our kids, you raise your kids, I'll raise mine.................Respect, Compassion, and Honor are values I tried teach...........I think I did that well...............

"..Remember being sent to your room ?????????"

You kidding me...you had your own room....I slept on the couch, but only after the grown ups were done watching TV.

On friday and saturday....that could mean 1 or 2 am.

A couch? Luxury! I dreamed of having a couch. There were 12 of us living in a small shoebox. (any monty python fans out there?)

Wow! I just returned from a two week trip to Manila, Philippines, visiting my girlfriend. Spend a lot of time traveling around the city (10 million + for metro Manila), and found these striking observations: There are very rich and very poor there, corruption is everywhere. Many, if not most, work extremely hard to make ends meet. I saw incredible wealth, and incredible poverty. Half naked kids walking along side streets with tractor trailers moving goods. A woman crouching, urinating on the side of the road, within a block of the U.S. embassy ( a pretty uptown area). Folks were courteous as can be, and dressed extremely nice.

And talking with them, you find they are not really any different than we are. They want to help their kids have a good life, to live in safety, to be respected for who they are. The biggest export from the Philippines is people, because they can't make any money there. My girlfriend works in China, teaching at a university there, because she can make more there than at home. She still only makes about $700 a month. Admittedly, that $700 buys more there than it does here, but she has a Masters degress too.

It is very easy for us to paint with a broad brush. Yet I also see bad manners, improper use of the English language and a great lack of social skills as a very real problem here in the U.S. Not to mention the general lack of knowledge in the general education our kids are supposed to get in school. But the majority of them are smart...very smart. I think it is a problem each generation has faced... how to keep them engaged.

Bruce

I am with you on the kids today. Mine encluded.

I took the oldest one to the store to buy an new PS2. (with his own TAX money). He finished High school in Dec. this year.

He wants to work. He does not like seting at home all the time.

He wants to dig in the dirt for old stuff all over the world.

Didn't you tell me that you had to kick his [8o|] arse away from the PS2 to shovel the snow so Mom wouldn't have to? [:@]

He's a good kid for a teen though, all of yours are.

Don't have any myself, probably won't get that joy/task in this life. I think they all just need priority reassignment occasionally

Does anyone?

But for the record, the kids are good for the current societal environment. Would most of them survive in the 1920s'? Oh heck no, but they aren't supposed to, they weren't raised in that time or mind frame.

It's way to easy to compare and criticize instead of trying help out. For some of you who raised kids, I pray to God they don't become stupid adults (you better have done your job well). For the younger generation, become a Big Bro or Sister and become a role model in the life of a younger person. Its a very rewarding experience!

i've raised four kids. the "terrible twos" aren't that terrible. I was scared to death when they became teens and I had to hope that they had truly embraced everything that i had taught them. when they're little, you can always put the poison on the top shelf; but, it's a scary thing when they venture out into the world. I still worry about them and they're all grown up now.

i raised my x-wifes 2 daughters, we went thru some hard times and alot of good times they are both grown with kids of there oun they are good people and they help in society they dont drag it down further, they are raising there kids in a good way with love, respect, and discipline i think they came out fine, and im proud to call them my daughters and i hope they are happy calling me dad (at least they say they are)

i hope i learned a few things back there because i am starting over at 41 years old we just had our son and hes is the apple of our eyes took 3 years and a ton of heartache to get him but we were finally blessed with his presence even had some last minute scary stuff happening emergency c-section..........i like to think i have figured out a few things over the years and i want to try to make my son a self confident, respectful, honest, loving person...........i also want him to be a leader not a follower and i dont want him to be tought in school how to just get along i want him to have his oun personality sounds like i have a new job

Joe