whats up with kids today

joessportster

we have had 10 to 12 inches show here in our township, and i havent seen a single kid going around trying to get some money removing snow, christ when we were little ones we would do what ever it took to get a buck, i can remember going door to door with an old rotary sycle mower trying to make a few dollars, i helped people move, wash there cars, wax cars, shovel snow you name it i was game............not alot differant today im always trying to figure out how to make a few dollars more (usually gets spent on this hobby) i guess they are spoiled and get what ever they want from mommy and daddy (that could be why i know alot of 20+ year olds still living at home

Joe

They don't shovel snow, mow lawns, do odd jobs..................We as parents have made life too easy for them.............Remember being sent to your room ?????????? Now you send them to their rooms they have stereo's, TV's, dvd's, computers, phones, playstations, doesn't seem like punishment to me ................................ Does it to you ????????

• Moderators

I saw a couple of my neighbor-boys schleping around snow shovels from house to house. I'd say what's wrong with adults these days, because no one would answer their door!

I agree, though, it seems a lot of kids I know have lost the value of a dollar...until they move out.

"..Remember being sent to your room ?????????"

You kidding me...you had your own room....I slept on the couch, but only after the grown ups were done watching TV.

On friday and saturday....that could mean 1 or 2 am.

I don't even own a shovel - but I would be using it if I had one.

My roommate/cousin is out plowing streets with his truck and making a crap load of money on it...

I blaim the lack of kids out doing things like this on our sue happy world - I'd be afraid of them hurting themselves and then getting sued by their parents.

we have had 10 to 12 inches show here in our township, and i havent seen a single kid going around trying to get some money removing snow, christ when we were little ones we would do what ever it took to get a buck, i can remember going door to door with an old rotary sycle mower trying to make a few dollars, i helped people move, wash there cars, wax cars, shovel snow you name it i was game............not alot differant today im always trying to figure out how to make a few dollars more (usually gets spent on this hobby) i guess they are spoiled and get what ever they want from mommy and daddy (that could be why i know alot of 20+ year olds still living at home

Joe

Mine are in school right now.

Yesterday, after school the 17 year old helped out some neighbors that needed to get out so he watched their kids and then studied all afternoon and evening. He is approaching college admission time and is working very hard to keep his grades up. The 15 year old was out shoveling as soon as he got home. It was kind of pointless since it didn't stop snowing until after midnight. But he was out there none the less, and made a few bucks. When I got home from work he helped me shovel our driveway and walks and then after dinner went and helped our next door neighbor with his drive (for free). My 12 year old daughter went to soccer practice, came home, did her homework and then went sledding with her friends until dinner and then back out again after dinner. I thought it was great to see her all red faced and laughing and working up a sweat outside, enjoying the snow and the cold, rather than being inside watching the tube or on the phone. Maybe it's just me but I think the kids are alright.

- Jim

amy send those local boys here ill answer my door even though i shoveled 1/2 the drive already................

jim, i glad you have kids /young adults you can be proud of, im sure nothing on earth would give a parent more satisfaction than thier child performing to there ability's and beyond.................my statement was a local observation of my community and im sure there are alot of kids here that have full schedules with school and learning etc... and of course that takes precidence over anything like shoveling snow, but again i remember when i was younger i had alot of friends and aquaintances that had no thoughts of further education and a snow day was a day to go out and either have fun or make some $$$$$$$$$$, as im sure there are alot of youngsters still that have no plans for collage etc... and are setting home now playing videos, on the cell, ipod, mp3 etc...etc...etc... it is a differant world and sadly its not all for the better

• Klipsch Employees

I am with you on the kids today. Mine encluded.

I took the oldest one to the store to buy an new PS2. (with his own TAX money). He finished High school in Dec. this year.

He wants to work. He does not like seting at home all the time.

He wants to dig in the dirt for old stuff all over the world.

It gets easier and harder for each generation. My grandfather didn't have shoes until he was 16. My dad bought himself a car when he was 16. I had a Range Rover when I was 16 that he paid for.

My grandfather knew no crime as a child, didn't have much of school to go to on the island. My dad went to an "ok" school and got a decent education. I went to a great school and got a great education.

I have had it much easier than my father and his father but there are things they didn't experience. They both never would dream of a school shooting. bombs on airplanes. being drugged at a party. I mean, i could list things for days.

Every generation has a trade off. better this, worse that. I have it so much easier, and at the same time I don't. My parents worked hard to give me an easier, happier life than they had. They succeeded!

amy send those local boys here ill answer my door even though i shoveled 1/2 the drive already................

jim, i glad you have kids /young adults you can be proud of, im sure nothing on earth would give a parent more satisfaction than thier child performing to there ability's and beyond.................my statement was a local observation of my community and im sure there are alot of kids here that have full schedules with school and learning etc... and of course that takes precidence over anything like shoveling snow, but again i remember when i was younger i had alot of friends and aquaintances that had no thoughts of further education and a snow day was a day to go out and either have fun or make some $$$$$$$$$$, as im sure there are alot of youngsters still that have no plans for collage etc... and are setting home now playing videos, on the cell, ipod, mp3 etc...etc...etc... it is a differant world and sadly its not all for the better

Thanks Joe,

I do agree, and it takes some effort today to pry kids away from all the entertainment / distractions / choices that can occupy their time. Certainly many of those distractions are not the best for them. And I sure remember mowing lawns, shoveling, painting fences, weeding and anything else to make a buck even before I was a teen. I have my parents to thank for instilling that ethic, the rule was "you are either in school or working" and I enjoyed both. It does seem like fewer kids today are inclined that way. Also, I don't mean to paint too rosy of a picture here at the flannj home. I mean there are times I would just like to.....

On another note I will get around to installing those x-overs and giving a report.

Stay warm,

- Jim

I get a little steamed about this. The older generation looks back on the young and finds it wanting.

Sloth happens. But I believe there is an even statistical distribution through out all peoples and times.

I was particularly annoyed at an editorial long ago by the otherwise insightful Gordon Baxter who wrote for Flying.

He put up a column about his discovery of a tribe of crew cut American guys who were well into the bible and flying for missionaries in Africa. "I just had to give you a snap shot". As if to describe that his private notion of values had survived as an obscure hold out in the wilderness of depraived immoral times. (No Beatle haircuts, no oddball music, he must have been thinking.)

If you visit the aviation, engineering, law, and medical schools these days, they are filled with people much like their ancestors. They look young, odd clothes, and haircuts. Just like the old days.

Grrr.

Gil

Not all kids are lazy, I didn't mean that at all, the majority just lack fire, they have everything handed to them, and don't understand the value of earning a dollar before you spend it.................Me, I am a lucky father, two Honor roll students, put both through College, both kids worked when not in school, no problems through the teen years at all...............Must be they got it from their Mother......................EH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"..Remember being sent to your room ?????????"

You kidding me...you had your own room....I slept on the couch, but only after the grown ups were done watching TV.

On friday and saturday....that could mean 1 or 2 am.

You had a couch?? You were lucky, I had to sleep out with the sheep!

Reminds me of Monty Python's "Four Yorkshiremen" [:D]

Amen Gil, far too many group assumptions as I have been meeting fine young people for years now and you really cracked me up on the cloths comment as I work for a major Hospital University and the Med students would be turned away at most fine eating establishments but could probably run same establishmnet better than the type caster turning them away[:o]

Learned a long time ago not to judge books by their cover as so many often have

OB, I find your tough luck story a little repetitive like a broken record[6] LOL

Not saying we don't have bad seeds anywhere and everywhere but we can't loose faith as a peoples or give up teaching[;)] One of our greatest gifts is the chance to teach and nurture ones offspring to be decent and just contributers to our society IMHO[:)]

A broken record................that's another thread......Always remember, the kids of today are the one's who will take care of our future, they will run our country, and look after us in old age......................So, we must be concerned......................To borrow more musical terms...from CSNY......."Teach your Children Well".....................................EH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!