m00n has a new toy!

m00n

4-stroke gets way better gas mileage, much quieter and has gobs of low end torque. At the end of the day of hard riding you will probably appreciate your stereo more because you will be exhausted....

I never could stay on two wheels, it kept throwing me off like a bucking bronco so I switched over to the 4-wheelers and it was like riding a baby carriage....lol.

4-stroke gets way better gas mileage, much quieter and has gobs of low end torque. At the end of the day of hard riding you will probably appreciate your stereo more because you will be exhausted....

I never could stay on two wheels, it kept throwing me off like a bucking bronco so I switched over to the 4-wheelers and it was like riding a baby carriage....lol.

I'm starting to look into getting a 4 wheeler for the family to share. Wife wants to be part of this and my son definitly wants a quad.

m00n: Nice bike, man. And it's good to see you posting again, too. Back in the day, when we lived in Northern Nevada I used to love riding dirt. Unfortunately, I'm so big these days, I'd need one of those 250's for each cheek, if ya know what I mean? LOL Enjoy the ride, dude. -Glenn

Thanks... I need to get it lowered. when sitting on the seat, I can't even touch on my tippie toes. Sucks being a short guy. [;)]

I can relate with that. I bought a basket case (100% disassembled and stuffed into 4 boxes) 1983 Maico 490. I lovingly put it back together with new bearings, piston, paint job, new seat, rebuilt shocks and the like. I didn't make it "pretty" but it was 100% functional when I was done and ran like a bandit.

Unfortunately, my understanding is the 1983 version was the HIGHEST saddle height they ever made. I was out buzzing around the farm with it one day, came to a stop and as I set my foot down to balance myself, there was no ground there (foot still in air).

Long story short, much like those cartoons where the guy comes to a stop and simply plops over to the side... that is exactly what happend to me. It was fairly comical, if not a bit embarassing.

Another comical moment (that cracked my tailbone), I was riding in one of the fields and saw some deer over the way. I was going to chase after them (did I say "WAS"... hmm..that should be a hint that something happened)

Anyway, I was going to go buzz them. Bike was in 3rd gear as I recall. Oh, and it also had a 1/4 quick turn throttle, so 1/4 turn goes from off to wide open. I cracked the throttle and again, just like in the cartoons (specifically Wile E. Coyotee) the bike literally took off like a rocket, out from underneith me leaving me hanging in midair still in the "seated" position. Since I was in the 'seated' position, my feet/legs where sort of forward, arms forward and I landed SQUARE on my tailbone. Hurt like a s.o.b.

Although I literally limped home and spent something like the next 6 months getting over the pain (with 2 or 3 months being excruciating / wincing pain) I did find some humor in what it must have looked like, seeing some dufas (me) crack the throttle and the bike launch out from underneith them.

Oh, did I mention that I sold the bike a year later lol.

Nice machine Moon!

If you decide to back off the preload on that rear spring to increase sag and lower ride height I would suggest sliding your fork tubes up in the triple clamps also, if possible. Changing the rear only is going to increase the rake on that front end which will have an adverse effect on low speed handling. The bike will tend to plow or wash out in tight corners.

If those forks are pressurized you can drop a few pounds out of each side to drop the nose but the machine may become too soft and mushy.

Helmet, goggles, good gloves and boots are a must. Put them on EVERY time you decide to ride. No ifs or buts.

That thing looks like a rocket! Throw some dirt for me!

just like in the cartoons (specifically Wile E. Coyotee) the bike literally took off like a rocket, out from underneith me leaving me hanging in midair still in the "seated" position. Since I was in the 'seated' position, my feet/legs where sort of forward, arms forward and I landed SQUARE on my tailbone.

OH my gawd, I can so visualize that. Too damn funny.

Going riding today, raining like crazy, going to be a slippery sloppy gewey mess out there. I'm sure I'm going to hurt something.

Nice machine Moon!

If you decide to back off the preload on that rear spring to increase sag and lower ride height I would suggest sliding your fork tubes up in the triple clamps also, if possible. Changing the rear only is going to increase the rake on that front end which will have an adverse effect on low speed handling. The bike will tend to plow or wash out in tight corners.

If those forks are pressurized you can drop a few pounds out of each side to drop the nose but the machine may become too soft and mushy.

Helmet, goggles, good gloves and boots are a must. Put them on EVERY time you decide to ride. No ifs or buts.

That thing looks like a rocket! Throw some dirt for me!

arf

Yeah, I've not decided on anything yet. I'm going to leave it alone for now. IN fact, I can't adjust the tripple clamp. The shocks are already up to the handle bars as it is. That said, I do know they are pressurized for a 175lb rider and I'm only 140. And yes, I have full on gear head to toe. Friggen spent $700 just on riding gear... Damn, I never imagined it would cost that much.

I'm sure I'm going to hurt something.

And I did.... My left paw got munched somehow between the ground and my chest. But at least it was at the end of the ride. We were basically done for day. Many good Funny Home Video entires if we'd had a video camera. It just rained and rained and rained and rained. Now get this, we get in the car to head home and it stop raining... I kid you not. Go figure.