Big Mac Attack on Vacation

tigerwoodKhorns

I went skiing and stopped by a local record store that I always visit. My wife gets her hair done nearby and I complained that she should try to make an appointment at the location in the nicer part of town. Well, I went to the record store to blow a few hours and pick up soem CD's. Older place and a little run down but very neat and clean. Lots of character and a fun place to visit. I never expect to find anything equipment wise. Well, I went in this weekend and there are some vintage Mcintosh. I speak to the owner and there is a "tube" amp in back. It turns out to be SS, but hey, how can I compalin.

I told my wife about it but that I was hesitating. She said that if I kept thinking about it I should go back and buy all of it.

I honestly have never seen vintage equipment this clean. I had to buy it all. I wound up with a C26 preamp, a 2100 power amp and a 5100 integrated amp. The innards are perfect and shiny new. Everything just serviced by a local tech too. I need to rethink a few rooms here but I am very happy with this score.

post-10861-13819325342042_thumb.jpg

You can't post it as a "score" unless you tell us how much you paid for it! [:D]

I don't know what I am going to do with it yet. It is all so pretty that I will probably find a spot for all of it in my house. But I may decide to sell it. I will take some more pics later. I have never seen insides so clean. The chrome is all perfect and all of the RCA's have no discolorization at all. This was a pretty rare find. All of the equipment was just serviced too.

It is worth more than what I paid, but not a landslide more. I still need to listen to it on some of my speakers. I will probably keep all of it though. For an audio guy this is the same as my wife putting pretty flowers and vases around the house. Its all really nice to look at too.

I think that the McIntosh MA 5100 is a really nice looking piece aethetically. I first heard McCoy Tyner's Expansions at a friend's apartment with an AR turntable plugged into a MA 5100 and Heresy speakers back in the day. I still remember being blown away by the sound! Whenever I see a 5100, it makes me nostalgic. Looks like you scored a beautiful example.

I think that the McIntosh MA 5100 is a really nice looking piece aethetically. I first heard McCoy Tyner's Expansions at a friend's apartment with an AR turntable plugged into a MA 5100 and Heresy speakers back in the day. I still remember being blown away by the sound! Whenever I see a 5100, it makes me nostalgic. Looks like you scored a beautiful example.

Thanks. I was going to skip the 5100 but it was just too nice. The more I look at them the more I think that I will find a place for each piece and keep all of them. I really have not seen very much vintage equipment in this kind of shape.