How fast is an F1 car?

sputnik

Have seen them at Watkins Glen..............kinda' a waste, and at Louden New Hampshire, the miracle mile, and that was fun. A mile track is just about right for them...........would love to see them at INDY........but I'd love to see the NHRA at Indy too...........Top Fuel Dragsters and Top Fuel Funny Cars, oh boy, awesome power.............bottom line, both are pretty damn expensive to go see.........................

I just watched that first video again. The screaming banshee sound of that F1 car gives me eargasms.

After watching the Ducati v. Lamborghini video above, I found this video of the new Ducati 1098 with Termignoni pipes. Another eargasm.

OMG..That made my toes curl. Spring cannot come quickly enough. Time to ride!!

Have seen them at Watkins Glen..............kinda' a waste, and at Louden New Hampshire, the miracle mile, and that was fun. A mile track is just about right for them...........would love to see them at INDY........but I'd love to see the NHRA at Indy too...........Top Fuel Dragsters and Top Fuel Funny Cars, oh boy, awesome power.............bottom line, both are pretty damn expensive to go see.........................

The Brickyard 400 is a yawner. Track is too narrow, banking not high enough for the big cars, and NOWHERE to go if you spin out in the infield. It's about 3.5 hours of watching a tightly packed train going in circles. Virtually no passing. Most boring race ever.

The F1 cars really don't have all that much of a speed advantage. The fastest recorded speed of an F1 car that followed regulations is 232mph. This is comparable to what a high end card like a Ford GT or a Ferrari Enzo can do. The F1 cars find their biggest advantage in the corners, where their large tires, light weight, and heavy downforce give them the traction to hit the corners faster than a MotoGP bike. They also have a considerable acceleration advantage owing to their light weight, great traction, and considerable horsepower.

But the thing is F1 cars have alot more drag (spoiler, wheels without fender, downforce) then the enzo or ford gt. Yes the enzo and ford GT can go to say 210 mph but it will need about 5 miles of straight track to do it. The F1 can probably hit top speed under a mile of straightaway.

Mike that's a shame......such a historic Track......Indy has alot of motor sport stuff.......Tractor pulls too........Modified Tractors, and 4 wheel drive trucks.....Pull that sled baby..................you guys are kinda' lucky... and NFL Champs too

Oh don't get me wrong. I LOVE the Indy 500 track and the sense of history. When Jim Nabors sings 'Back Home Again in Indiana' at the start I'm one of the many guys with tears in eyes. And I had the very good fortune to follow my Fathers footsteps and be not only a photographer for a team for a few years, but suited up for the race one year in the pits. It's a fantastic race and I love open-wheeled competion and the strategy the various teams exibit during the 500 miles. Being part of the camraderie of pit crews was an intense experience as well, a racer lost his life during practice that year and it was very humbling to be on site that day. To stand on the main stretch on that Yard of Bricks and look into the first turn is to see the closet sized opening the Indy racers enter at 240+ mph. It's death waiting at every corner.

But the Brickyard Nascar race is definietly a snooze-fest. And I won season tickets in the initial lottery. Figure I'd better keep them, we failed to renew my Father's Indy tix the May he passed away so we lost turn one seats that he'd had forever. So there is a real bittersweet history every time I set foot on what I consider the hallowed ground at the corner of 16th St and Georgetown Rd.

This would be something to watch for in Indy.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/moto/motogp/35528/

If you like motorcyle racing, you'll love this one.... Valentino Rossi is the king, and is to MotoGp, what Michael Schumacher is to F1, only better. Valentino doesn't know what it is to give-up, and he doesn't know how to loose. If you love racing, and you've never watched a Championship MotoGP race, you don't know what your missing. Watch just one race, and you'll be hooked for life... guaranteed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka0ozPy8x88&NR

• Moderators

How fast would a NEXTEL car be without restricter plates ???????????? Funny, NHRA passes rules to slow the cars down, and those guys figure out how to go faster...............and don't complain, just set records......

They only use the plates on two tracks. Plate racing is just another way to race. Positioning, drafting, and pit efficiency play a bigger role. You have to rely on your brain more instead of the horsepower.

OK, then what would lap speeds be today without the plates..........225-230 mph easily..........Plate racing takes away an advantage the best teams have and makes them all equal...........that's not racing.........If I have the Best driver, the Best engine, the Best chassis set-up, the Best pit crew, I should win..........not put on a plate to make us equal.................POPPY KOCK...........Let 'em Race....................

Probably more like 210 or 215. It took untill 1982 for Nascar to have an official lap speed of 200+ mph when Parsons did it at Taladega. 200+ wasn't achieved at Daytona until 1984 which Cale did it. Donnie Allision got up to 205 and then people started having wrecks and getting killed and Nascar put on the brakes. Safety could not keep pace with the speeds. In 1970, over ten years earlier, a Porsche 917 set a Daytona set track speed record of 233.

It was much better when it was stock car racing, and they really had to be production cars that they could nodify to their heart's content. There is nothing stock about a stock car today except the outline of the vehicle (do they still make them do that? For Tech Inspection they used to have to drive the car up against a wall that had an outline of the stock vehicle and it needed to be within that line). The plates have nothing to do with equality, it has to do with safety. The fastest Daytona 500 I think was run in 1980 by Buddy Baker. I think the NASCAR market approach now is keep the speeds low, have lots of wrecks where people don't get injured, and the fans will keep coming back for more.

Travis

I believe Bill Elliot set a track record at Daytona of 210 mph...............years ago..........think about this a minute......The 07 ZO-6 Corvette Pace Car has an advertised top speed of 198 mph, stock off the show room floor..........NEXTEL cars can exceed that speed easily if given the chance.....I agree with your point on safety, but the restrictor plate does make them equal...........NASCAR, in my opinion, is the most fixed of any sport, always changing the rules, because Ford cries about Chevy having an advatage, then Dodge crys foul, and we change the rules again, and now Toyota......God Forbid they start winning NEXTEL races, there will be some crying then................N ASCAR's market approach is to make money, lots of money...............If you really want to see racing, go to your local tracks on friday and saturday nights, local boys racing hard, swapping paint, and maybe $20 admission, not the $100+ dollars for NASCAR..............