Disappointed

bongo4

I was at best buy today looking for a hdmi-hdmi cable. Yes, I was at luch and mostly just killing time. I saw the new RF-82 and RF-62. They could not get the 82's to work. They said the dvd player broken. So, they asked if I wanted to hear the 62 and said sure. I was very disappointed! It sounded like crap. I said, this sounds bad and the salesperson said let's try the definitive speakers. He hits the button and they sounded 10 times worse! Then he switc\hed them back and the 62's sounded so much better then the def's it was crazy. The def were like $599 each.

They were playing on a yammy, like a $399. gig. This is coming from a place that coundn't hook up the 82's for me. Can someone tell me that the 62's don't sound that bad and it was just the setup that they had! The construction of the new speakers stinks, like mass produced! What has our speaker company done? After hearing these speakers, you can't tell me that the rf-7's won't blow any new speaker away that klipsch makes. I got rid of my rb-35's and went with rb-5II's all the way around for this same thing! The sound was that much better. I have them with an rc-7. Not a great system but my god I was disappointed with the new stuff.

But maybe It was the place, that's why I posted this so someone can set me straight. I hope, I'm wrong about this, I really do.

Sorry to hear about your experience at BB. I was there the other day and wasn't able to listen to them because they had a guy doing a demo for someone. I know that a few guys on here work for them, maybe they can chime in.

You might have to find a local store to really listen to them. I can't really say if they are hooking everything up as it should be.

James

I would be willing to bet those RF-62s would sound a hell of a lot better hooked up to my B&K amp with my Denon AVR-3802 as a pre/pro, than with that little yamaha squeek-box they had them setup with at the store. So yes, I am willing to bet the setup has alot to do with it. I've experienced the same with the RF-82 at my local store. I even told the salesperson they should hook those up with that big Denon AVR-4806 they had instead of that dinky Yamaha reciever - they would probably sound so much better.

As for the build quality? They looked pretty nice to me, plus I've actually got to see them being made at the Klipsch plant in Arkansas!.

Auditioning speakers at Best Buy is completely absured to begin with. And judging the sound quality in a place like that is just as bad. I just got a RSW-10d Klipsch sub last week and at the store it sounded pretty lousy, the Sub 10 played way louder and actually sounded better in the store. When I got the RSW home, it was apparent it was a better sounding sub. 

Bongo,

That was my thread and I have to agree with you about that level speaker in the line. Of course I am used to the vintage stuff that is set up for 2 channel and are full sound speakers. It seems the newer stuff is engineered for channeling sound to a subwoofer for the lows. I think its why they dont make towers with 12's or 15in woofers in them anymore. They rely on the sub as part of a modern home theater/home audio system. So I suggest listening to them with a subwoofer and see what you think. Its just the nature of modern audio. Although I have been told the RF-83 or the RF-7's put out some serious lows. But these are the modern TOP OF THE LINE Klipsch. And unfortunatly I have yet to be able to audition either of these speakers due to lack of availability in my local stores. Check out the highest end Klipsch and also try some of the mid line towers with a sub. Thats my suggestion.

Bongo, sorry you had to experience that.

I've been to a BB that had the speakers properly hooked up, and the Klipsch

easily embarrassed the Martin Logans sitting right next to them. Like others

have said, it was more than likely the setup.

The newer line is good, though I'm still leery about upgrading as the old

line was just as good if not better in some instances. The newer horn is

tamed, just a little too much for my liking, but all in all they are still

great speakers for the money.

Search for another place to audition the lineup such as Ultimate Electronics, you might be pleasantly surprised how those sound, especially with receivers that retail for over a grand. There is a difference!

It's very hard to listen to speakers in a place like Best Buy...........so many things going on, some many distractions to draw your ears away,..............You cannot find a better testing area than your own home, and the room you plan to use them in.............period...........Not looking to argue, but because a Receiver is over $1000. doesn't mean it will sound best...........that's kinda' an off the wall statement...sometimes true, sometimes not true................

Not looking to argue, but because a Receiver is over $1000. doesn't mean it will sound best...........that's kinda' an off the wall statement...sometimes true, sometimes not true................

That's very true Ob,I've heard $400 avrs that were better sounding than $1k avrs,although less power and features.But..there are $1k(more or less)avrs that sound very nice and have the features and power.I've also heard some $400 and $2k avrs that sounded like crap,even had a $3k retail avr that was not worth $400 for musicality.

I was just in a Magnolia and listened to the def techs and Klipsch. I personally liked the sound of the def techs better and the sub built in was a nice perk with my space requirements. The Klipsch had the classic horn sound and I ended up pickup up the def techs. I was surprised that I liked the def techs because I have some Klipsch right now that I have liked alot.  When I heard the RF-62's I thought they were pretty good, it was what I was used to, but when I heard the def techs liked them alot better. 2 different sounds.

I had the def tech 7001's(3500 retail) in my house for an audition.They had cherry top and bottom and looked really nice.I prefered the rf5's and a cheap sub I had at that time hands down.I paid $2000 for the def techs,still way over priced,imo.I also had 2000tl's a few years back,they were better than the 7001 to my ears.Both were nice and we all hear different,so.... just my opinion.

remember magnolia the placement is whereever they can fit them, row after row..... the martin logans are the brightest speakers I heard with the setup they had, right up next to the walls and very near the corners. I heard the martin logans need to be clear from any walls to tame the bright speakers.

I was at best buy today looking for a hdmi-hdmi cable. Yes, I was at luch and mostly just killing time. I saw the new RF-82 and RF-62. They could not get the 82's to work. They said the dvd player broken. So, they asked if I wanted to hear the 62 and said sure. I was very disappointed! It sounded like crap. I said, this sounds bad and the salesperson said let's try the definitive speakers. He hits the button and they sounded 10 times worse! Then he switc\hed them back and the 62's sounded so much better then the def's it was crazy. The def were like $599 each.

They were playing on a yammy, like a $399. gig. This is coming from a place that coundn't hook up the 82's for me. Can someone tell me that the 62's don't sound that bad and it was just the setup that they had! The construction of the new speakers stinks, like mass produced! What has our speaker company done? After hearing these speakers, you can't tell me that the rf-7's won't blow any new speaker away that klipsch makes. I got rid of my rb-35's and went with rb-5II's all the way around for this same thing! The sound was that much better. I have them with an rc-7. Not a great system but my god I was disappointed with the new stuff.

But maybe It was the place, that's why I posted this so someone can set me straight. I hope, I'm wrong about this, I really do.

I didn't know they sold the Reference line at Best Buy. You must have been in a pretty nice Best Buy.