How do I kill the sound reflections?

tommyboy

My right main is giving some reflection due to the fact that it's so close to the wall. Moving it isn't an option. It's toed as much as it can be also (pointed directly at the listening area). My wife has made it very clear that she doesn't want any kind of acoustic paneling or anything like that on the wall. What other options do I have? I need help here people!

post-16545-13819325641072_thumb.jpg

Beautiful setup you have, so I assume "aesthetics" are important?

Anthing I can offer up will be very UN-appealing to the eye, but carpet treatment, heavy tapestries, drapes, etc. or any type of heavy absorption material. I have some very effective, thick, sound deadening material, but not for your particular application.

Someone else will chime in w/suggestions. Best wishes!

I certainly understand the various constraints. Is it possible to move the speaker forward and then toe-in the cabinet? This could help quite a bit. The probelm with treating the first reflections on the wall is that the treatment would need to be thick and preferable a few inches away from the wall. Wives then get concerned about the solution.....

Let me make a few suggestions and please do not tell your wife where I live since I have this fear of being murdered in my sleep....

Is it possible mount some fiberglass panels (not necessarily large) on the wall and creatively and artistically cover it with cloth? There is a great variety down at the local fabric store (many, many different choices, believe me)? If this can be done, then you can effectively treat the first reflections from the sides. If you want to treat it at the lower frequencies (either absorption or diffusion) then it gets a bit trickier (but treating the mid and high freqs may be sufficient).

Good luck, and this is very common question - so let your imagination and the local fabric store be the solution.

Good Luck,

-Tom

I agree with Tom on pulling the right speaker forward. It looks like it's in a little echo chamber there between the cabinet and the long wall. Since there is now a high oriental foldout up there now, how about a long decorative tapestry that echos the tall stairway and reaches down to hide the electrical outlet (which she can't be very enthusiastic about).

Actually, tapestries and similar wallcoverings do not help. The frequencies (> ~16KHz) at which they are effective are actually desirable as they are short lived, easily controlled and are actually the only part of the sound field that approaches qualifying as a reverberant field.

Pulling the speakers slightly forward would help a little.

Your speakers themselves are fine. But you have placed constraints upon us that cannot be easily overcome!

What about putting your wife on the wall?

Seriously though - there's not much you can do, short of tearing down the wall or redefining the concept of acoustical panel. If you hung a tapestry or other similar wall ornament, could you possibly cutout the drywall and fill it with fibreglass or another similar absorbtive material? She didn't say no holes in the walls did she? lol

The only other alternative would be extremely directional horns - or possibly a skew horn depending on where you sit.

A set of KHorns would do it............................EH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Move the speaker that's in the corner ahead a couple of inches, with abit of toe in. Atleast make it even with that cabinet.......................tough working around the women....they don't understand, do they ???????????????.......Very nice set-up......................tough room................

[6]I have them toed in as much as I audibally can. Any more toe in, and they lose imaging. I've pretty much allready tried everything you guys have suggested. Thanks for the reply's though. Maybe....... I'll just put some paneling on the wall when she's not home, and tell her our son did it!!! [6]

[6]I have them toed in as much as I audibally can. Any more toe in, and they lose imaging. I've pretty much allready tried everything you guys have suggested. Thanks for the reply's though. Maybe....... I'll just put some paneling on the wall when she's not home, and tell her our son did it!!! [6]

There's one last thing...Ive noticed the xbox360....They have been known to cause poor sound quality...I can give you my address and you can ship it this way and we can see if this helps!! Seriously, I have made some panels that dont look too poorly. I had to please the wife and follow the color scheme of the room. I have a lovely court appearance this morning but when I get back I will post picks.

Why is it that wives have to stick their noses in situations like this? Do you think she would let you stand in her way of anything she'd want to do to improve something that she didn't like in the house?

Fortunately for me when my wife and I bought our house we agreed on something before we bought it: The basement was mine to do whatever I wish with, and the rest of the house was hers. I thought this was a pretty fair deal, and I because of it I have acoustic foam, corner bass traps, oak speakers that match NOTHING else in the room, a 56" TV, a subwoofer that is 46" tall and stands out like a sore thumb, wires everywhere, and (best of all) a huge smile on my face.

I agree with others who have said to move the speaker out a little bit if possible. Even very small changes to speaker position can help quite a bit.