Interesting 50th Anniversary EBay Khorns- NO RESERVE, Scammer?

From the auction text:

For reference, the Sapele finish is the same as what we call Mahogany and offer on the RB-5's.

"We??" Sounds like something copied from the Klipsch site, the forum, or an email from a Klipsch employee.

From the auction text:

For reference, the Sapele finish is the same as what we call Mahogany and offer on the RB-5's.

"We??" Sounds like something copied from the Klipsch site, the forum, or an email from a Klipsch employee.

it weren't me!

It may well be a scam. An email to the seller regarding an audition or inspection may tell you all you need to know.

I don't see anything suspicious other than the low feedback. At one point every one of us had a feedback rating of 1 althought that is a high ticket item. No $200 international shipping or a special email BIN.

Sweet speakers though.

Payment method---"other" kind of scares me. They won't even take a cashier's check or money order? Someone close email the seller and ask for a physical inspection. The photos do look like they were taken like a normal ebay seller. No reserve tells me they will pull it if bids are not high enough, plus only a 3 day auction for these?

That description was lifted from the Forum. It was originally from "Jim" 5/1/01.

A pair of these was offered on eBay in January of 2006, and the first picture in the current auction is IDENTICAL to the one that was up for auction back then. So, it's either the same guy offering them up for sale again with the same photos, or, for the more scam-careful people among us, it could be someone saved the original photos and is using them illegitimately now.

We certainly don't have enough evidence to accuse anyone of anything. But with only one feedback, I'd want to pay for these at pickup only.

Earlier thread, which was primarily about the March 2006 auction:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/710608.aspx

I'm thinking scam....... If a guy had a pair of this very rare and desirable loudspeaker wouldn't you say how you aquired them? I'm the original owner, a dealer, my Dad gave them to me or something like that? Wouldn't you say how wonderful they sound and you hate to part with them? Or maybe you just found a mint Paragon in rosewood and have to sell these to pay for the Paragon? By they way, if you bid on these......... I have a Shelby Cobra 427, mint, in the rare lacewood finish. No minimum, 3 day auction........ payment by other (gold bars prefered), you can pay me in the alley behind my garage.

I'm going to have the wife ask a question (In my best Nigerian English) and see what's up. My guess is that he has a friend that owes him money and if I just take his $5,000 check and send him the difference...............

Thanx, Russ

No response yet on the question of seeing them in person before bidding on them.

I will now use another ebay ID and ask how to pay using wire transfer or western union if I win.

Message to seller

"Hi, I just recieved a sizable tax return check which I deposited and has cleared, so I am ready to buy some nice khorns. These look like the best I have ever seen and I am determind to win this auction. Your instructions say other payment methods. Can you explain to me how I will be paying?. Will a wire transfer work?"

If I do not get a response, I will use another ebay ID and declare myself a serious bidder by offering to escrow the money to an account of his choice before the auction ends.

Our records indicate that you received an email from davidg421 through our Contact eBay Member or Ask Seller a Question feature. Please be aware that the email might contain a fraudulent offer to purchase or sell an item outside of eBay. We recommend not responding to the sender because the email might be an attempt to obtain your email address.

If you have already completed a transaction with a person who has asked that you take the transaction outside of eBay or if you are a seller who has already shipped an item to the buyer and the transaction was completed outside of eBay, we suggest you take the following steps:

1. Contact the payment service that you used to make the purchase. If you paid by credit card, most card issuers provide consumer protection in online fraud cases.

2. Please complete the Item Bought Outside of eBay form or the Item Sold Outside of eBay form. To access these forms, go to