Another Question for Bodcaw Boy (Roy)

ClaudeJ1

I found my old Audio Papers with PWK's autograph, from when I was still a kid. In describing "A New High-Frequency Horn," in the paper dated Nov. Dec. 1963, PWK describes the K-400 as being an improvement over the K-5-J in all aspects of horn perfomance. Lower cutoff frequency of 240 vs. 300 for the old horn. Also he cites flatter response above 3,000 Hz vs. the old horn, along with a high frequency extension to over 6,000 Hz. vs. 5,000 Hz. for the K-5-J. Paul always refered to a "metal copy" of his K-5-J, which I assumed meant the Altec 511-B.

So, leaving all of your latest Tractrix designs out of it for a moment, Roy, why do so many of the people on this board substitute a "metal copy" (511B) on top of a K-horn, LaScala, or Belle as being audibly superior, when PWK's papers clearly show it as inferior. Did Altec make that much of an improvement to the K-5-J by adding those partition things near the mouth?

Also, can I purchase a K-510 horn lens for my EV DH1A drivers? Or do I have to buy drivers AND horns like I do for the 402??

TIA

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Also, can I purchase a K-510 horn lens for my EV DH1A drivers? Or do I have to buy drivers AND horns like I do for the 402??

Shawn might be able to confirm, but I think he bought the 510 horns alone and NOT any drivers. I seem to recall him being surprised that all three came in a single box, probably stacked inside one another. (just a guess)

I found my old Audio Papers with PWK's autograph, from when I was still a kid. In describing "A New High-Frequency Horn," in the paper dated Nov. Dec. 1963, PWK describes the K-400 as being an improvement over the K-5-J in all aspects of horn perfomance. Lower cutoff frequency of 240 vs. 300 for the old horn. Also he cites flatter response above 3,000 Hz vs. the old horn, along with a high frequency extension to over 6,000 Hz. vs. 5,000 Hz. for the K-5-J. Paul always refered to a "metal copy" of his K-5-J, which I assumed meant the Altec 511-B.

So, leaving all of your latest Tractrix designs out of it for a moment, Roy, why do so many of the people on this board substitute a "metal copy" (511B) on top of a K-horn, LaScala, or Belle as being audibly superior, when PWK's papers clearly show it as inferior. Did Altec make that much of an improvement to the K-5-J by adding those partition things near the mouth?

TIA

i am not sure cause we never talked about it but i do know that paul liked for the horn to do some eqing that is why he like collapsing verticals. maybe he liked the freq response better.

the horns do not come by themselves. you got to order the package. sorry.

have a blessed day,

roy delgado

i am not sure cause we never talked about it but i do know that paul liked for the horn to do some eqing that is why he like collapsing verticals. maybe he liked the freq response better.

That is really interesting. I recall someone recently making a huge deal about collapsing verticals in order to promote a different horn.

That is really interesting. I recall someone recently making a huge deal about collapsing verticals in order to promote a different horn.

LOL, did you completely miss the half dozen posts by Roy in the other threads where he explained all of this. I guess you were to busy trying to think up new ways to badger him about asthetics and the K-403 to actually spend any time trying to understand what he was saying. Why not go back into those threads and read the posts again? It will save everyone the trouble of having to explain everything to you yet again.

LOL, did you completely miss the half dozen posts by Roy in the other threads where he explained all of this. I guess you were to busy trying to think up new ways to badger him about asthetics and the K-403 to actually spend any time trying to understand what he was saying. Why not go back into those threads and read the posts again? It will save everyone the trouble of having to explain everything to you yet again.

Which posts and threads do you mean, Junior? Was one of them the one in which the Bad Cowboy wouldn't respond to mas?

"That is really interesting. I recall someone recently making a huge deal about collapsing verticals in order to promote a different horn."

Have you figured out the huge difference yet between the Jubilee and the (EDIT: OLD) Heritage speakers regarding this......

Shawn

Not sure yet. Gettin a pair of 510's with the K69.

Like you...will flirt with a passive...see what happens. May even start with them as a mid on a three way setup. Yes the dbb's may be their stopping place at first.

Wendy and I are thinking of building a new house and gonna start accumulating some cinema stuff. Can't gaurantee the jubs bins will be in there BUT there may be some other ROY creations in the cinema line up.

Roy..or whomever...2 years ago when some heard the jub three way...what was the mid horn, tweet horn and their drivers?

jc

Which posts and threads do you mean, Junior? Was one of them the one in which the Bad Cowboy wouldn't respond to mas?

no that was the one in which i wouldn't respond to you!!

have a blessed day poo poo,

roy delgado

Not sure yet. Gettin a pair of 510's with the K69.

Like you...will flirt with a passive...see what happens. May even start with them as a mid on a three way setup. Yes the dbb's may be their stopping place at first.

Wendy and I are thinking of building a new house and gonna start accumulating some cinema stuff. Can't gaurantee the jubs bins will be in there BUT there may be some other ROY creations in the cinema line up.

Roy..or whomever...2 years ago when some heard the jub three way...what was the mid horn, tweet horn and their drivers?

must have been someone else. i don't remember demo'ing the jubs as a three way.....

have a blessed day,

roy delgado