What's Up with Neil Young ?

I don't mind when music is released. Now later anytime. I'm just happy to have access to it. Would I prefer to have had the stuff available 15 years earlier in my life and get 15 more years enjoyment out of it, sure. But getting caught up in what if wishing is a quick road to the looney bin. I can deal with the reality of things that are outside my control and not let them bother me.

It is the prerogative of a musician to release their material at a time they see fit. That time may be never.
It is the prerogative of a carpenter to sell their custom furniture at a time they see fit. That time may be never.

Have a blessed day

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason I am familiar with as to why Neil is releasing the archives now, is that Neil has been waiting for digital technology to get to a place that is better than redbook CD, as well as improvements in digital sampling and editing. As in, he's as satisfied as he can get with high res audio in the DVD-Audio format. Therefore, out comes his archives in high rez. If he wanted money, he would have released years ago at lower resolution. One of the easiest things one can find out about Neil Young is that he's not out for money, he's out to follow his creativity wherever it takes him, regardless of sales. His record contracts are such that he can still live comfortably while some records sell hardly anything.

I'm with Gilbert here, what is your motive buckster? Why the conniving train of thought, what are you getting at? what has you down? Can you entertain the possibility that the things I've posted in this thread are true and that Neil is not out for money?

If there is one thing I know about Neil Its that the music is his priorty not making money. If there is one thing I know about myself is that my candle doesnt get brighter when I dim someone else's.

I think it's admirable that he hasn't sold out to commercial use of his

materials (As he proclaims in his song "This Note's for You"). I heard

Randy Bachman on the radio the other day saying that with just

one commercial deal he can make more money than going out on the road

for a year. Now that would be a real tempting prospect aye? Mark

Don't sit there and tell me Neil doesn't care about money...................Please !!!! Why must I be cunniving to ask such a question? It's a fair question, and should be looked at as a question, nothing more. Another musician from Canada with all the answers I guess. Neil has a long and honorable career, highly respected in his field, but the sudden glut of 1970's performances makes me wonder about him. He talks the talk, and walks the walk, all the way to the Bank...................Now, I'll take off the kid gloves...........his best work has been with Buffalo Springfield, and CSNY...and his Solo work is OK at best..............have seen Neil several times.............because my opinion of Neil's is different from yours, I now am degrading Neil for no reason..Wrong.....The problem with the old Hippie Types, is they turn into Good Business men if they live that long. Oh yeah, Tell me again what a great guitarist Neil is...................So, I guess this makes me a mean oldbuckster, that's cool, you know where I stand.....I didn't ask for anyone's approval....I just asked a question...........................EH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....Listen to what you want, Enjoy what you listen to !!!!!!!!

I'd say he really shines working solo, then crazy horse is second.

I'll entertain your perspective once, OK, Neil Young is releasing music from live performances and studio work from the early part of his career, to be followed by material from later in his career. Neil Young will make money on this he wouldn't have made had he not released this material.

So that means he is doing something wrong? Is he using some mind trick that makes people send their money to him?

To quote oldbuckster's last post, "The problem with the old Hippie Types, is they turn into Good Business men if they live that long."

What is wrong with that? I really don't understand how you are thinking about this thread. You think it is wrong for someone to make money? Is it wrong for someone to release old archival material? You have said in previous posts that he had been sitting on this material for this long so he could make more money on it selling it at a later time when baby boomers and old hippies have much more money to spend. That sounds like the root of your concern.

There is nothing wrong with selling music, new or old. If you don't want to buy it, don't buy it. You are the one in the equation that has ALL the power. Nobody is forcing you to buy it and make Neil Young richer. Why does it flare you up so much that someone might profit from their labor.

Don't sit there and tell me Neil doesn't care about money...................Please !!!! Why must I be cunniving to ask such a question? It's a fair question, and should be looked at as a question, nothing more.

That is not a question. That is an statement and negative accusation.

And just as in your previous negative statements and accusations, you are here with the deliberate intent to attack Neil Young, because he did not release his archive music sooner than you would have liked him to. Maybe you should have written to Neil, and asked him why. I'm sure, that since he's hard-up for money, while laughing his way to the bank, he would be concerned with YOUR opinion. After all, it appears you are his numbero uno fan.

Neil has a long and honorable career, highly respected in his field, but the sudden glut of 1970's performances makes me wonder about him. He talks the talk, and walks the walk, all the way to the Bank...................Now, I'll take off the kid gloves...........his best work has been with Buffalo Springfield, and CSNY...and his Solo work is OK at best..............have seen Neil several times.............because my opinion of Neil's is different from yours, I now am degrading Neil for no reason..Wrong.....

You never had the gloves on Buckster. And you DID initiated this thread, And you DID attempt to degrade Neil, And you DID try to convince others of your negative opinion..... Don't believe me?.... Might I suggest you go back and read your initial post, and then every subsequent post. Your entire theme has been the same, and continues along the same ole cunniving train-of-thought rut. Hence, my comment regarding your mind-set. Get it yet?

And now, once again, it seems that since you didn't gather the following or sway the opinions you had hoped for, that it's time to shake your shitty attitude and mind set off as being someone elses fault.

The problem with the old Hippie Types, is they turn into Good Business men if they live that long.

There you go again.... It's a problem (assuming Neil is as cunniving as yourself), that Neil (aka Hippie type) has lived long enough to become good business man. Assuming that is in fact the case... Which I DO NOT BELEIVE..... And oh the horror, and my God what is this world comming too, a muscian trying to make money for his work. God should strike him down; NOT!

Oh yeah, Tell me again what a great guitarist Neil is...................So, I guess this makes me a mean oldbuckster, that's cool, you know where I stand.....

Neil is a true musician, artist and perfectionist. He always has been. He has successfully carved his own musical path, and is living his own life... successfully I might add.

And you are a mean oldbuckster, and once again your trying to pawn it off as being someone elses fault.

I didn't ask for anyone's approval....I just asked a question...........................EH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....

No, you did not ask, you were just fishing for a Neil bashing party. Thus far into this thread, it appears to me that you have only produced accusations, attacks and excuses; both upon Neil and to those in disagreement with you. And now, when you realized that you have failed miserably to garner support for your opinion, and failed to drag down those around you,..... You throw up your hands on your sinking ship, while flaking-out and crying fowl,.... and yet, still agian, try to blame someone else for your negative mind set.

Listen to what you want, Enjoy what you listen to !!!!!!!!

Always have, and always will. Amen, now have the decency to let this thread die.

but you won't, you'll come back for another round. You alway do.

Anyone the least bit familiar with Neil knows that he has consistently bucked opportunities to make the quick buck! Just go back and follow the release of Journey Through the Past (and time Fades Away) after Harvest where he purposefully withheld what became Comes a Time for several releases thereafter. And if anyone thinks Journey Through the Past and time Fades Away are commercial releases aimed at satisfying the need to be every 14 year old's heart throb...well, one can only hope that you can get some more of whatever you're smokin! He could have made much more money then when the demand was greatest instead of marketing it to a bunch of old farts as he will now.

In Nashville 13-14 years ago we were talking with Kenny Malone and David Briggs and they were talking about the amount of archival material that they had been working on in the studio - there are TONS of it! - and it will be interesting to see what is finally released, as they mentioned that they even had footage of them backstage participating in a few extra curricular activities - works and all - if you catch my drift.

It should be interesting to see what finally comes out.

At Panama (every Thursday night) (and at Mere Bulles down on 2nd Ave on FAR too many occasions!) when the Cliffnotes were playing
and Davey Roe was in from gigging with Johnny Cash (sitting in for
Avery Johnson who was out with Whitney Houston) and JD Blair was
sitting in on drums with a few nights off from working with Lyle Lovett
(sitting in for Ralph Pace).

Oh, and the rest of the regular line up was Cliff Richmond,
Michael Rush on keyboards, Michael Fair on trumpet (and often Tabitha) on vox, as well as regular sit
ins (depending who was on the road) of Roy Vogt on bass and Reggie
Wooten on guitar and Waldo Latowsky (from Dolly Parton's band) on
drums - along with several others depending on the function. Plus
whoever was in town and decided to sit in. Oh, and Victor Wooten was
the original bassist before he went on the road. Gee, and how could I forget Jamie Nichols on
Conga (ex of the Nerve, Dan Fogleberg...Record&WhippedCream man anyone? ;-) and the Charlie Daniel's Band) and Eric Darken on percussion (boy, that title does not do his full justice!). And how can I forget Moe Denham, master of the Hammond B3, when he was not out with Gatemouth Brown? And Dane Bryant on keyboards before and after he went out with Clint Black (he came down with the Wooten clan from Virginia as well) and Keith Horne, another who came with Dane and the Wootens - and who Vic always would point to when asked who was the best bass player - who played a right handed bass left handed and strung upside down like Hendrix, and ironically played 6 string with Tanya Tucker, but my God what a bass player! (Both Dane and Keith had been part of Secrets from Richmond)...And Rock Williams sax (horn player extraordinare, when not out with Wynnona) and Randy Jessop on sax.

But if you had been in Nashville you might know that. ...Or maybe not.

He talks the talk, and walks the walk, all the way to the Bank...

Yu guys forget ANTHING you hear ANYTHING you read about someone.. UNLESS you really really know them is Marketing!

Seriously.. get a life.. These guys might be good musicians.. and I know your a fan too.. but wow....

Mellencamp is from that same era... He said I will never EVER sell out.. Remember John's carreeer is all "I fight authority, authority always wins.." LOL... Nice "THIS IS OUR COUNTRY" John!!!!! Yes, you sold out.. good for you... I am happy you make millions.. I even wish I wrote and sang the song too.. Nothing wrong with that? Same with Tobey Keith, Tom Petty, the list goes on and on...

Do you think maybe too Neil has not been relavant for YEARS....(ouch sorry) So he is looking fo that past luster when he was on his game better and had fans that cared? hey Neil.. We found some tapes in good condition from 1978...... Maybe we can release them and make some money.. ?? Again good busines Descisions.. Nothing more...

All this crap about "I will not release a CD till the current digital revolution is up top my standards".... is BS.. .It sounds like your fighting authority again like John.. Don't like digital? Record it on analog... Personally if your a good enough musician with some balls in a decent studio.. You will be fine..

My 2 cents!!!

And MAS... "And if anyone thinks Journey Through the Past and time Fades Away are commercial releases aimed at satisfying the need to be every 14 year old's heart throb..." Neil is how old.. ???? Wow, then or now.... I certainly hope not!!!! And IF your 14 yr old daughter is attracted to him at this stage of his life to "heart throbdom." She needs help!

"And MAS... "And if anyone thinks Journey Through the Past and time
Fades Away are commercial releases aimed at satisfying the need to be
every 14 year old's heart throb..." Neil is how old.. ???? Wow, then
or now.... I certainly hope not!!!! And IF your 14 yr old daughter is
attracted to him at this stage of his life to "heart throbdom." She
needs help! "

What????????

Thats what he did 30 some years ago rather then cultivate the status he had reached with Harvest when the album made him a huge hit with all of the girls!!! He chose to not capitalize on the notoriety. And he, like Steve Miller, has maintained a library of almost all of his performances from the beginning. This is not some "hey we found some old tapes" thing! He has been consistent about his dislike of the low res digital format from day one. This is not some new found religion. And I certainly don't recall him asking anyone's opinion! Heck, I'm just glad that after 15 years he finally reissued On the Beach on CD. And in the early 70s he could have made allot of money by simply releasing what became the bootleg featuring Sugar Mountain.

And besides, its his stuff, he can do whatever the f---- he wants to with it. The amazing thing is that he doesn't have to answer to anyone about it. But then these are the voices of the same people who are so quick to pass judgment on him while at the same time they whine if a government talks about light bulbs.

Stick to Entertainment Weekly. Talk about "stomach pumps and hook and... ladder dreams"...[8-)]

Now if we can only get Capital to re-release Steve Miller's Recall the Beginning - Journey from Eden on CD!

Well, at least it's Neil selling himself rather than what most old classic rockers do.....sell their music to corporations for advertising. Like The Who's Pete Townsend, who has sold Who songs to just about every kind of corp and product. The most interesting occasion is the Tommy Overture playing over some ad for a prescription medication......remembering of course that this is the same band who sang about losing your mind by way of a handful of leapers on the 5:15........now that's hilarious!!!

I read where Pete was quoted as saying "They are my songs, I'll do what the $#!@ I want with them." He is correct. And AFAIC, so is Neil........but even better, because he is selling himself, and not pimping some other product in the process. I mean, seriousleh - hasn't The Who sold enough tickets at $250 each to avoid the need to hear thier music wafting over script ads???? Jeez......

Since I have read all the books on him, seen him 20+ times since 1976 and own all of his stuff in both LP and CD I can cleary state you never know with Neil.

He was trying to go out chronologically I thought at one point. He took forever to agree the Buffalo Springfield "box set" was mastered correctly. Neil will be very obstinant before putting out something to make sure quality was the best it is going to get. I am waitng to buy the new "Filmore East" live CD until my wife is going to be out of town. Give the 6L6s a torture test.

Nothing Neil Young related happens at Warner Bros without the concurrence of Neil and his manager. All the releases are being mixed, designed and planned by Neils archivist crew.

It's not a tuma. Neil had a Brain Aneurysm that did not get the chance to burst. He had surgery to stuff it full of little springs that induced scar tissue to fill the aneurysm and render it not a problem. This was done by running a tool up a blood vessel from his leg eventually reaching his head and the aneurysm. Super amazing process.

If you have the opportunity to pick up the new release Fillmore East 1970 concert, I highly recommend the final track, Cowgirl in the Sand. That version has the most enticing Neil Young guitar playing I've heard on any of his work.

Lound and clear appears to know his NY very well. [Y]

My point is, that they have held back all this material on purpose, and waited 25 years or more to release it...............Furture Marketing, I guess it's gonna' work...............the Boomers will pay for it......Even Neil Young is part of it............kinda' sad in a way........$$$$$$$$$$$ RULES............

Buckerster, you sure have a negative mindset, and a conniving train of thought............. kinda' sad in a way

Forgive Me, I don't get your point....what am I missing ??? Isn't it strange all this product shows up now, after what 25, 30 years ? Why now, why not 15 years ago? Fair question, I feel..................

Old Buck;

People are answering the question you are just not getting it. Plan is not marketing. NY can make more money with less risk to just go on the road as CSNY every 2 years and charge 75-200 USD per ticket and sell out stadiums. DUH! As I recall there has only been 3 full blown CSNY tours in 30 years.

Why now, why not 15 years ago? Because 16/44 bit technology sucked more 15 years ago than it does now.

Why now, why not 15 years ago? Because 16/44 bit technology sucked more 15 years ago than it does now.

Based on his biography, which I watched with much interest, that is what I truely believe.

Neil is an helpless perfectionist. And if he needs money.... so what?.... Who doesn't.

And as stated in my initial post to this rediculously stupid thread, I'm not a die-hard Neil fan, and I love his early stuff more than the current (at least in my collection of Neil)..... And now that Oldbuckster has stirred the pot, I will go to BestBuy and contribute to the Neil Young fund by purchasing one (or more) of these latest releases. I'll be back later after I've given a fair and thourogh listening-to.

Gentlemen, please.........I didn't not intend for this thread to head the way it did, you can believe that or not, I should have used words like Record Industry not Neil....I just thought he was above all this glut...His songs, he can do what he wants..I have a problem with Big Business in General, and the Recording Industry is Big Business. I am truly sorry I started this, We all have opinions, mine I guess is not a popular one.

Gentlemen, please.........I didn't not intend for this thread to head the way it did, you can believe that or not, I should have used words like Record Industry not Neil....I just thought he was above all this glut...His songs, he can do what he wants..I have a problem with Big Business in General, and the Recording Industry is Big Business. I am truly sorry I started this, We all have opinions, mine I guess is not a popular one.

I guess I am confused if your opinion was not popular or quickly and poorly thrust into the written word without enough research.

For example:

NY at Filmore East was one of the only I can think of where you can hear LIVE versions of great NY songs with Danny Whitten on guitar. To all but a few hundred thousand die hard fans few recognize; Neil had some awesome guitar exchanges over the years with Nills Lofgren, Danny Whitten and the boys from Pearl Jam (just found a brand new 2 LP set of "Mirror Ball" last month in a record store in Detroit) which equaled or were better than NY playing with Stephen Stills.

NY at Fillmore East may not be Allman Brothers Band at Filmore east, but it could certainly be a historical piece for NY fans and classic rock aficionados

At least someone is taking a risk.

Hell when the Eagles put out there box set there was not any unreleased music, what a waste.

Who else put out a live LP from the 70s in the past 10 years?