dolby digital

kmijeski

The reason I am writing this post is that when I see "dolby digital" I assume this means Dolby digital 5.1. Well it must not always mean that because I have purchased two dvds that claim they are dolby digital when in fact they are only dobly pro logic. These are on older movies coming out on dvd such as "no way out" with Kevin Costner. Anyway this to me is frustrating because when I purchase a dvd, I want it to be 5.1 sound quality - the reason for dvd. This is misleading. Any comments are encouraged. Has anyone else experienced this?

Keith

dolby digital should be synom w/ DD 5.1 in dolbyspeak. though i've heard of misprints never had it myself. now there can be dolby digital encoded disks that only use 5 channels(no lfe channel), 4 channels, or just the

3 front channels, or possibly even 2 front channels. all up to the sound mixer how it's encoded.

now if a disk is labeled "prologic" that's technically a misprint too. they probably meant dolby surround which is an encoding process DECODED by Dolby Prologic Decoders. iow, prologic is a decoder process.

if you want to make sure a disk is 5.1 or for other info u may want to check out www.dolby.com & www.dtsonline.com (if u have a dts compatiable dvdp & a dts decoder in your receiver &/or pre/pro).

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Technically, dolby digital can be 2 channel or 5 channel (or more, I guess). Read the box carefully. I've been burned on this, too. It needs to read 5.1 or higher in order to get the effect you are looking for.

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KLF-C7 (center in storage)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

Dolby Digital can be anywhere from 2.1-5.1. Dolby Digital EX is 6.1.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

It says Dolby Digital on the box? It probably just said that because in the original theatrical version, it was in Dolby Digital. I think it was DTS too. I watch movies a lot and when the credits roll up it says DTS, even though the DVD wasn't released with DTS sound.

• 2 weeks later...

Places in the heart is Dobly Digital... stereo. ohwell. it said though on the box tha *** was dolby stereo but my sony dvd player made it 5.1.... sounded pretty good, just all the channels were cloned to the corosponding rear channel.. even teh center channel worked Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

What about 60 year old movies being THX certified???!!! I mean Sleeping Beauty is classic but is the sound quality good enough to be THX approved?

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

quote:

Originally posted by synthfreek:

What about 60 year old movies being THX certified???!!! I mean Sleeping Beauty is classic but is the sound quality good enough to be THX approved?

It is if you are willing to pay Lucas for the certification. cwm4.gif

------------------

Denon AVR-3802

Tangent 5000 mains

Tangent 1000 rears

Tangent Center Theater

Sanyo DS31590 31" TV

Panasonic A120U DVD

Sony SLV-N71 Hi-Fi VCR

RCA Satellite System

This message has been edited by Kilowatter on 12-29-2001 at 09:14 AM

The first version of the terminator DVD is in mono.It said dolby digital on the box but it was in digital mono.(Thats what my receiver said.)Only the center channel works!(I could also put the mono into the L+R channels.)

------------------

~You laugh because im diffrent,i laugh because your ugly~

GreenDay Rules!

Danartdis, Yes, that's what it means. Audioman, Terminator was mono when first released on DVD. The new special edition is 5.1, they did a good job with it, too. You can still access the mono channel if you want, though. I just watched it, man is it cheesy compared to T2!!!