Stumbled into a bunch of NIB NOS tubes

anarchist

I thought I had hit the jackpot, unfortunately most of the tubes are 6xxx variants (I wish I needed 6dj8's etc.) not the 12's I wanted. Did find a couple of 12bh7's, 12ax7's, and 12au7's in the haul along with a 5u4. Lot of tung-sols, rca's, ge's and sylvanias along with a couple ratheons.

It was awesome opening these old boxes and looking at these tubes that were in mint condition. Some cool looking tubes in there, its a shame I couldn't use them...

I did grab the GE 12bh7 (Great Britain) and will likely go back and get the 5u4 and other 12's just for the hell with it.

I was pressed for time so I didn't write down everything that was there. If folks are interested in certain tubes, I will be glad to check on them. There were a lot of amperex, tung-sol, ge, rca, and sylvania... let me know what you want me to look for...

There are two large lots to peruse. Anyone want a Tung-Sol 5u4?

Here are some others to watch out for. Clustered by substitution possibilities.

12AU7 17 *
4003 19
5963 19
5815 19
6189 19
ECC82 17 *

12AV7 41
5965 41

12AT7 60 *
12AZ7 60
CV4024 60
ECC81 60 *

5751 70 *

12AX7 100 *
CV4004 100
7025 100
6681 100
ECC83 100 *

I will take a look and grab what I can guys.

Mark, I was killing time while waiting for the tag office to open so I went into this "junk" mall just to see if they had any old stereo equipment. Lady at the counter said no but I caught a glimpse of some records so I walked over and there was this lockbox full of tubes sitting on the floor. Looked through 'em and then asked if they had any more. She said no but she had seen some next door - so I walked on over there and there was a large bucket full of tubes.

I am now encouraged and am just going to notify a few places to call me with any stereo equipment or old "radio" tubes they get in from estate sales.

Anarchist said: "I am now encouraged and am just going to notify a few places to call me with any stereo equipment or old "radio" tubes they get in from estate sales. "

Don't do it! - the path you're considering is slippery and before you know it, you'll have buckets and boxes of tubes taking up space in your basement with the majority having little or no use for you. Even if you keep the tube equipment you have for life, you'll only need a handful of replacement tubes at best. 12AX7s, 6DJ8s, and the other common driver tubes are rarely driven hard and tend to last for years (6000 hrs min.). Used judiciously, power tubes like EL84. EL34, 6L6, 6V6 and even the older triodes like 2A3, 300b and 45s will need replacement 3, maybe 4x in the next 50 years.

Buying tubes begins innocently enough as you just want backups for your equipment but the next thing you know, you're scouring old radio shops in every town you visit and answering every ad in the paper for old stereo gear and estate sales. You'll know you have a problem when the fellas at the hamfests begin calling you by name...but by then its too late.

My advise would be to avoid the temptations of this addiction and only buy 1 or 2 sets of replacement tubes for your gear. Believe me, there will be plenty of tubes available on the net or even eBay when you need them. Better yet, find someone who has already been bitten by the tube bug to be your buddy - keep it casual though and don't get too close.

OTOH, I'm jonesin' for a set of 6JK6 for a 10b... I need a fix bad man!

• 2 weeks later...