It's nice to be working in a shop again

greg928gts

It's hard for me to believe that it's been almost two years since I left my last rented shop space because of roof leak problems.

I bought my own shop this time in December of 2005. It was pretty rough when I bought it, but in some ways that was a blessing because I got to replace just about everything!

I'm actually working on my first major project now in my own shop, and I feel pretty darn lucky whenever I'm there.

Here's a link to my shop webpage if you're interested www.dcchomes.com/MG.html

post-11090-13819326445726_thumb.jpg

thats like 10 times the size of my garage shop. 

mine gets me by....table saw, wall mounted panel saw, radial saws, and a 6 foot wide 5 foot high tool roll away rack with all the major hand tools, but having assemble space like that reminds me of when I was in the service and used the wood shop every day.

The windows leak too much heat and air, but when I replace them I'll try to keep the same look.

The floor in the auto shop has epoxy paint from Sherwin Williams. It's o.k. stuff, I'm sure there's much better. On new concrete it only covers half as much as they say. I used the clear coating that they sell to go over it and I wish I hadn't.

Greg

Greg,

I was visiting Chris (Robinson) and while he was out of the room, I took a close look at his Khorns thinking to myself just how pretty they were. It then dawned on me that they were probably Rosewood. As he returned to the room, he saw me looking at them and mentioned that they were "yours". I had NO idea that the pair you redid had worked their way down to Hilton Head.

Just wanted to say that they were more beautiful in person than the pictures I'd seen. The pictures (to me) had a distinct red tint that wasn't there in real life.

You can veneer anything for me if that's a representation of the quality of work you do!

[Y]

Jacksonbart - if you click on his link above, you can see the speckled floor. Especially in the pic with the pit covers.

I've seen such floors before and always assumed they were pro done. I've also seen where one applies something to the floor then sprinkles something on it to give it some sizzle so maybe that's it. Unless the epoxy paint has those bits of color/speckle in it? I'm wondering if I should have gone with an epoxy for my laundry room. I just used concrete paint this time but it's holding up well so far. So far.... I think Epoxy paint is a bit flexy and hence doesn't chip? Is that right?

Very, VERY nice. I like the fact that you kept the pit operable! ;)

WHAT THE EVAHLOVIN FSCK are those GInormous klipsch horns? I don't think I've seen anythink like them.

Oh, while you were diligent in hiding the license plate on your car, you didn't do quite the complete job.

• Moderators

Jacksonbart - if you click on his link above, you can see the speckled floor. Especially in the pic with the pit covers.

I've seen such floors before and always assumed they were pro done. I've also seen where one applies something to the floor then sprinkles something on it to give it some sizzle so maybe that's it. Unless the epoxy paint has those bits of color/speckle in it? I'm wondering if I should have gone with an epoxy for my laundry room. I just used concrete paint this time but it's holding up well so far. So far.... I think Epoxy paint is a bit flexy and hence doesn't chip? Is that right?

Go to this link, this is by far the best stuff to you if you are going to DIY your garage floor. They have all the specks you could ever want, and it is a great epoxy system. http://www.originalcolorchips.com/ Epoxy is two part, and cures for, the advantage is it bonds to the concrete floor, it doesn't chip because it is stronger, and has a firm bond. However, the prep is critical, they used to explain it all on the site, but I have not looked in awhile. You have to to get rid of all oil, old paint, etc. Then you have to give the floor a complete acid bath, and then you have to make sure the acid is rinsed away.

But it sure looks cool,

Travis

Greg,

I was visiting Chris (Robinson) and while he was out of the room, I took a close look at his Khorns thinking to myself just how pretty they were. It then dawned on me that they were probably Rosewood. As he returned to the room, he saw me looking at them and mentioned that they were "yours". I had NO idea that the pair you redid had worked their way down to Hilton Head.

Just wanted to say that they were more beautiful in person than the pictures I'd seen. The pictures (to me) had a distinct red tint that wasn't there in real life.

You can veneer anything for me if that's a representation of the quality of work you do!

[Y]

Thank you. Now if I could just sell a pair I could pay my bills! Really disappointing seeing birch Khorns selling on ebay for $3650, yet mine aren't selling.

I'm glad Chris got those.

The lighting did make them look redder, and I've been using that to my advantage from a marketing point of view. [6]

Here's a picture of them in my shop under flourescent lights.

post-11090-1381932651079_thumb.jpg

"Really disappointing seeing birch Khorns selling on ebay for $3650, yet mine aren't selling. "

Those before pictures are too revealing. It's like try to sell a car thats been in a wreck in it's unrepaired state and showing a picture of how great your bondo work is, and basiclly you promise to do good bondo if someone pays in advance. Folks would rather have something that wasn't in a wreck, and treated like a member of the family. ie like the 1985 walnut khorns I bought from their original owner for 1500 bucks.

RAW birch always commands top dollar, be it Khorns, Heresy's, LaScala's, etc.

Also, the more copies you make of these, the less they are actually worth, they no longer as rare. Repeated like sales will have to be customized to a different market niche at a lower price point.